Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Anchoring in steeply sloped lakes
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

OrovilleTim
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
25 Posts

Initially Posted - 11/02/2016 :  08:58:00  Show Profile  Visit OrovilleTim's Homepage
Our boat lives on Lake Oroville in Northern California. We've owned boats over the years and our "anchoring" was actually "beaching" as we would do like the houseboats, which is go bow in and stake in or pile rocks on our anchor on the shore with the bow on sure enough or in enough mud to keep it from turning.

Well, with a fixed keel sailboat I imagine this is no longer an option (or at least to me it doesn't appear to be safely so.)

To get an idea of what I am referring to, here is what our lake shores look like including what is underneath as this picture shows low lake levels (which is similar to now)...

All around the lake the shorelines are like this, basically fingers going into what used to be mountain canyons. There are some "beach" areas which is decomposed granite, etc. on one of the forks but that is the exception (and it is often highly occupied.) The middle of the lake is hundreds of feet deep also so it's not like you can just anchor anywhere other than the shore (my boat in the marina pictured near the top presently sits on 150' of water at the moment and that's in a finger.)

Is there anyone who anchors in a similar situation? If so what do you do?

C-25 #89 - Dos Kilo$, 1977 SR/FK/"L" Interior
Tim & Nikki, Lake Oroville CA USA

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 11/02/2016 :  14:39:32  Show Profile
Our lake also has very steep shores in most places, but maybe not as steep as your lake.

I like to anchor fore and aft like this:

I like to approach bow first, drop an anchor off the stern, then when I get as shallow as possible or run out of stern anchor rhode, I drop the bow anchor. Then I can adjust the position of the boat between the two anchors by adjusting the rhodes.

I keep 300' of anchor rhode for the stern anchor and 100' for the bow anchor. The longer stern rhode is for better scope in the deeper water and gives me plenty of line to pay out while easing into a cove.

It's a bit of a guessing game to decide when to drop the stern anchor. I want good scope but want to be close to shore too.

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/

Edited by - sethp001 on 11/02/2016 19:06:57
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 11/02/2016 :  19:45:39  Show Profile
Sounds like Seth has a good idea. Looking at your picture I'd drop an anchor near (or onshore) then back out near the middle of that cove (or as far as possible), drop the anchor leaving the line slack as I motor back closer to shore. Once near shore the stern line would lie more or less parallel to the slope. I'd then use the motor to set the stern anchor and once set I'd then adjust both lines to set the boat where I wanted it.

Another option would be to set the forward anchor onshore at the top of one of the projecting "slopes" and the stern anchor out in deep water on the next "slope" over from where the forward anchor is set. Then you could position the boat over the "valley" between "slopes" so you don't need to worry about the keel touching bottom. You could probably get the boat closer to shore as well.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX

Edited by - GaryB on 11/02/2016 19:47:31
Go to Top of Page

Bill Holcomb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
769 Posts

Response Posted - 11/03/2016 :  07:43:55  Show Profile
Hi Tim,
On Lake Pend Oreille in northern Idaho, the lake shore is very steep too in many places. One way to anchor close in that works is to drop the anchor off the bow and set it as I back toward shore with the motor. When the anchor sets with proper scope, let enough rode out to have Snickerdoodle close in and then take a stern line ashore and tie to a tree. Your photo doesn't show many trees close to shore... so maybe a modification of Seth's idea above (set the stern anchor ashore) would work for you.
Bill Holcomb - C25 Snickerdoodle #4839
Go to Top of Page

OrovilleTim
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
25 Posts

Response Posted - 11/03/2016 :  08:30:55  Show Profile  Visit OrovilleTim's Homepage
Great ideas! Sometimes you just need other eyes to see what's not visible to yours. It definitely sounds like I'll need a second anchor and nobody has mentioned any special ones so I'm not going to go that route.

I had read a lot of "you need this special high priced anchor for your needs!" and it's so easy to buy into the hype, literally. But, I'll just grab another standard anchor as it looks like sometimes it might even just be stuck on the shore. I had thought about a stake to put on the shore but I want to learn to do this without getting off the boat because unlike in the past where it was only warm day usage for a few hours here and there, I plan to go out year round in Dos Kilos to practice weekend liveaboard.

So after getting a second anchor I'll practice some of the recommends here. I guess I'll just throw it in the dumpster though I'll probably make a bag for it or something. Or perhaps I'll relocate my old one there and get a new one for the bow, but I am drifting, haha.

Thanks again for taking to time to share some experience & thoughts!

C-25 #89 - Dos Kilo$, 1977 SR/FK/"L" Interior
Tim & Nikki, Lake Oroville CA USA
Go to Top of Page

glivs
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
822 Posts

Response Posted - 11/03/2016 :  16:14:01  Show Profile
We keep a second anchor (Fortress) in the dumpster....drilled a couple of tennis balls and pushed them onto the ends of the stock when storing the anchor so not to ding the gelcoat. Works great.

Gerry & Leslie; Malletts Bay, VT
"Great Escape" 1989 C-25 SR/WK #5972
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page