Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Washing our Catlina 25 with pressure washer?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cudamank
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
55 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/30/2016 :  16:11:12  Show Profile
Been reading on cleaning the boat up, and was wondering about using a gas powered pressure washer to clean the hull and the decks. Would be doing this at the dock. I would be using the soft, or delicate tip and looking into pulling water from the lake itself. Not sure if mine pressure washer would be able to pull the 3' up from the water or not. The back up plan is I have a 35 gallon plastic trash can that we have a valve on the bottom from a camping shower.

Any thoughts on this? I know they use them on the bottoms when pulled out, but I haven't seen or read much on at the dock.

1982 Catalina 25 SR FK
"Jenny"

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3993 Posts

Response Posted - 08/30/2016 :  17:49:40  Show Profile
Nothing wrong with using a pressure washer just go easy on the teak,windows and caulked areas. I don't know if a pressure washer pump is a suction pump. I think they need pressurized water from a hose. Usually municipal water pressure is around 30-50lbs. If it will suck up the water I would put a filter on the hose so you don't destroy or clog up the pressure washer pump.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 08/30/2016 17:58:05
Go to Top of Page

Akenumber
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
247 Posts

Response Posted - 08/30/2016 :  18:41:59  Show Profile
I can almost guarantee the pressure washer will not pull water. And I doubt there is enough head pressure in a container on the dock. You will have to hook up to a wash down system or use a rv sure flow pump or something similar. I've tried it.. No harm in you trying though.

Ken
San Diego
84 C25 SR/FK 4116
The KRAKEN

Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 08/30/2016 :  19:47:54  Show Profile
I can definitely say a pressure washer will NOT pull water out of the lake! They have to be force fed from a normal city water supply turned on all the way.

Most pressure washers put out whatever pressure at anywhere from 1.5 GPM to 6 GPM. Most in the 2 GPM to 4 GPM range. Even if they could pull water from a 35 gallon water supply it wouldn't last but a few minutes.

Most people buy pressure washers based on just the pressure. The GPM are probably more important. I've used 2500 psi washers that put out 2 GPM and a 2000 psi washer that puts out 3.5 to 4 gpm and the 2000 outperformed the 2500 by a long shot.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 08/31/2016 :  03:31:27  Show Profile
The instructions with mine says to insure that you have enough supply with adequate pressure to supply the pump. I do not remember the exact values.
I am curious to see how long the 35 gallons will last.

1988 WK/SR w/inboard diesel Joe Pool Lake
Hobie 18 Lake Worth

Life is not a dress rehearsal. You will not get another chance.
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 08/31/2016 :  04:55:51  Show Profile
If you don't have adequate pressure, the pump will lose all its effectiveness. They all need a strong input pressure. Even using 100' hose instead of 50' can cause pressure to be inadequate due to the larger pressure drop going through the hose.

More to the point, if you've ever tried to pressure wash your car, you may have realized that a simple wipe of the sponge gets more stuff off than multiple passes with the pressure washer. Given all the set-up time it takes for a pressure washer, and the risk of gelcoat damage if you slip up for even a second, you might be better off with a bucket of soapy water and a nice sized brush. That's what I do for washing the deck, even though I have a really nice pressure washer.

A pressure washer is good for really rough surfaces that would tear up a sponge (sidewalks, driveways, stucco) or difficult to reach places (hull below the waterline, high-up windows). But for many things a sponge or brush is better.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Edited by - TakeFive on 08/31/2016 04:56:42
Go to Top of Page

cudamank
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
55 Posts

Response Posted - 08/31/2016 :  11:31:26  Show Profile
Well that was some good feedback. The reason behind the gas powered pressure washer and the water supply issue, is there is no power or water at my location. I will let you know on the results of the attempt, positive or negative. I am well aware of the kind of damage using the wrong tip on a pressure washer can cause, and will be only using the lightest tip.

1982 Catalina 25 SR FK
"Jenny"
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 08/31/2016 :  13:13:26  Show Profile
For about $200, you could buy a 1k gasoline (2 stroke) generator (Sam's Club, Harbor Freight) to power a 110 volt Flotec water pump (garden hose fittings on each end) that could pull water from the lake and send it under pressure to the power washer. I'm not sure, but the generator might power both the water pump and an electric power washer. You would need to check the amps pulled by each device.
Then again, it might just be easier in the long run to use a bucket for water from the lake, soap, brush, sponge, and elbow grease.

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN
Go to Top of Page

DavidBuoy
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
707 Posts

Response Posted - 09/01/2016 :  06:18:55  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by TakeFive

A pressure washer is good for really rough surfaces that would tear up a sponge (sidewalks, driveways, stucco) or difficult to reach places (hull below the waterline, high-up windows). But for many things a sponge or brush is better.

Remember though, the 15+ extra years of sun and environment exposure most of our C25s have been through can make it quite a bit rougher. I've cleaned by hand and by power each a number of times and between the different types of sponges, brushes and scuff pads you need to get everything out of the gelcoat becomes crazy.

Im sure if i cleaned, sanded, compounded, buffed, waxed, etc.,etc. then keeping it clean with a sponge would be pretty easy. I really don't have the time and energy for that though, and don't foresee that happening anytime in the remote future. For me it's probably going to stay a twice a year powerwash with occasional cleanings/hose offs. I think the results are blinding..

Captain Rob & Admiral Alyson
"David Buoy"-1985 C25 SK/SR #5053
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page