Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 sailing up to and staying in Canada
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cudamank
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
55 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/20/2016 :  18:12:12  Show Profile
Just spent a weekend in Victoria British Columbia. Talk about falling in love with an area. Drove up to Vancouver from California. Then took the ferry from Vancouver back down to Victoria. Has anyone sailed from the states and stayed up in San Juan straights for awhile?

My 25 Catalina is probably too small to make the trip up from California to Canada on the water, but could be trailered up there for the summer.
Any experiences? Really love the area so much the Admiral is thinking of a new home port.

Thank you

John

1982 Catalina 25 SR FK
"Jenny"

Edited by - cudamank on 08/20/2016 18:14:53

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 08/20/2016 :  18:53:45  Show Profile
I may be following you after the November elections

I believe there is a video here of a couple of guys that trailered their C25 to the same location. Try the search function.

1989 C25 TR/WK, #5822
1973 McVay Minuet 19
1975 Jester 12
1981 C25 SR/SK, #2428
1981 C22 SR/SK,
Tanzer 16
Sunfish

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Kenneth Grahame

Edited by - OJ on 08/20/2016 18:54:32
Go to Top of Page

zeil
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1297 Posts

Response Posted - 08/21/2016 :  11:01:38  Show Profile

Although a little further north the following article published some time ago will somewhat describe parts of BC's west coast.

http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24582&SearchTerms=desolation,sound

Johanna and I just returned from a 2 month (June to mid August) long meandering with our 1995 C250 WB from the Port of Sidney, B.C. through the Gulf Islands and further north to Desolation Sound plus a trip up the south and down the north arm of the Fraser River.

During our approximately 1000nm cruise we visited 22 ports and a dozen anchoring s and stern-tie locations. It was absolutely fabulous.

We'll post some photo's and perhaps a synopsis of the trip

Henk & Johanna
"Floating", a few off your "barnacles".
"Someday Lady" '95 C250WB #151 ('03 - 2016)
"Sea ya" 30ft Bayliner (04-2018 - 09-2018)
"Mariah" '96 C250WB #191 (05-2019 - 15-05-2023)
"Lady J" '00 C250WK #499 (05-2021 - 09-2022)
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 08/21/2016 :  12:26:03  Show Profile
FWIW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjXEoG8DLQk

1989 C25 TR/WK, #5822
1973 McVay Minuet 19
1975 Jester 12
1981 C25 SR/SK, #2428
1981 C22 SR/SK,
Tanzer 16
Sunfish

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Kenneth Grahame

Edited by - OJ on 08/21/2016 12:26:16
Go to Top of Page

cudamank
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
55 Posts

Response Posted - 08/21/2016 :  21:58:46  Show Profile
Thank you for sharing the video!!!

1982 Catalina 25 SR FK
"Jenny"
Go to Top of Page

dalelargent
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
198 Posts

Response Posted - 08/22/2016 :  07:31:24  Show Profile
Hey! Cool! That's my video that got linked. Thanks! :)

Yes, Molly Jim has been trailered to the San Jauns the last three years. Great times. I could easily spend all summer cruising around, as others on this forum have recently done. I have not yet ventured into Canadian waters as each year one of my passengers has been without a passport. Perhaps 2017 will be the year....VERY eager to do so.

Should be a 2016 version of video coming out in a few months. Having too much fun sailing (and re-painting my house) to edit videos....

1989 c25 WK/TR #5838
1998 Catalina 36 mkii
1983 Vagabond 14
Go to Top of Page

Chief RA
Chief Technical Advisor

Members Avatar

USA
191 Posts

Response Posted - 08/24/2016 :  07:27:38  Show Profile
As far as I know there is no reason to think you can't go north up the Cal, Oregon, Washington coast with a good 25 sailboat. It is against the wind much of the time but doable, especially in Sept., October. It is a series of coast hops and is in fact being done now with a Catalina 34. I have no doubt that my Catalina 250 tall mast wing keel would do it fine. Good charts and proper planning are essential as this is a rocky coast with anchorages far apart at times. This coast is classified as one of the most dangerous in the world. You can get stuck for as much as a week in one of these anchorages. Especially so far this year as our weather has been really rough outside. If doing this for fun I would suggest maybe trailering her to Washington and then sail her down coast with the wind home. Chief

COMPASS ROSE C250WK
Tall Mast, Wing keel
PORT CHIEF, Bodega Bay Ca.
IE,EE,FCC lic #1890
Go to Top of Page

glivs
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
822 Posts

Response Posted - 08/25/2016 :  08:59:04  Show Profile
I'm on travel with limited access but just wanted to chime in. First you are about to live my dream to cruise the NW. And second, plan well. Note you should (probably have to) upgrade your VHF license and MMSI registration.

Gerry & Leslie; Malletts Bay, VT
"Great Escape" 1989 C-25 SR/WK #5972
Go to Top of Page

cudamank
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
55 Posts

Response Posted - 08/30/2016 :  16:16:37  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by glivs

I'm on travel with limited access but just wanted to chime in. First you are about to live my dream to cruise the NW. And second, plan well. Note you should (probably have to) upgrade your VHF license and MMSI registration.

Well we are a ways from making this trip, but you bring up a valid point. currently we sail on a small lake locally. Jenny was not equipped with a radio and it has been on my list to acquire. I'm not very versed in VHF, other then I see mentioned, handhelds and mounted radio's. Any suggestions?

1982 Catalina 25 SR FK
"Jenny"
Go to Top of Page

glivs
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
822 Posts

Response Posted - 09/06/2016 :  11:08:42  Show Profile
Big picture...I'd read anything you can on VHF's and then head to your local WM store, talk to the sales people and do a hands on feel for the various models and options. Any new fixed mount VHF and some hand held models will offer DSC (Digital Selective Calling) which, among other things, will allow the user to send an automated distress call with location (lat/lon), time, and vessel information at the push of a button. To function in this way the user must provide a 9-digit MMSI (Mobile Maritime Service Identity) assigned them upon registering the radio and configure the radio to receive GNSS/GPS information real time (Global Navigation Satellite System of which GPS in the U.S. is a part). Mid-priced radios have GPS receivers built in making them easy to install. Earlier models and new lower priced units require(d) the user to connect the radio to an external GPS source, such as a Garmin GPS hockey puck or compatible chart plotter with built in GPS. Not difficult but an extra potential source of compatibility issues. Of course a user still can provide vessel and location information manually in the event of an emergency using a basic VHF but it certainly is not as efficient or reliable as DSC which could make a difference when most needed.

If you register your VHF through Boat US it can be done easily online at no cost. The catch, however, is that your boat cannot leave U.S. waters. Others here hopefully will speak to sailing in Canadian waters but my understanding/memory is that you must apply to the FCC for a ships station license and renew that license annually. I'll look into this a bit more when I get a moment as I'm interested also.

AIS (Automated Information System) is a parallel system also based on the MMSI that was adopted early on to track commercial vessels and allow for specific ship-to-ship or two way Coast Guard-to-ship communication and offers quite an array of information about the broadcasting vessel including location, speed and bearing/heading. It is now rapidly gaining use by recreational boaters although often in the less expensive recieve only option (as opposed to transmit & recieve required for commercial vessels). AIS can thus serve as an early warning system of commercial traffic potentially intersecting a recreational vessels path AND, by knowing that vessels MMSI, the recreational boater can communicate directly via VHF with any specific commercial vehicle of their presence/intentions. Mid-to-upper level recreational VHF's will offer this option. The AIS traffic information can generally be viewed on the radio itself, displayed on a chartplotter, or broadcast, e.g. via Bluetooth, to iPad or phone-based navigation applications.

Entering the MMSIs of your friends or fellow travelers also allows you to communicate directly with them individually or as a group as opposed to an open broadcast to the entire receiving area.

Other VHF options...too many to get into in this longwinded msg but consider where you will locate your VHF. Most of us have fixed units inside the cabin which often makes them difficult to listen to and access unless you have external speakers and an optional external microphone. For many reasons, therefore, it is good practice to carry a separate water resistant/proof handheld VHF in the cockpit or your ditch bag should you need a back up or have reason to abandon your vessel. Again depending on price these can include built in GPS and DSC capabilities.

Bottom line - you probably do not need the highest-end model but I would suggest looking for both a fixed + handheld unit that meets your needs where you will be sailing. There are several members here that sail the Canadian NW, e.g. Henk & Joanna (membername: Zeil), that can offer very specific recommendations regarding their VHF choices, commercial traffic in those waters, etc.

Do some homework and pose additional questions when you start to focus your search. Good luck.

Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 09/06/2016 :  15:20:40  Show Profile
Price of Catalina 25/250 forum membership, $22, value of glivs input immediately above, priceless . . .

1989 C25 TR/WK, #5822
1973 McVay Minuet 19
1975 Jester 12
1981 C25 SR/SK, #2428
1981 C22 SR/SK,
Tanzer 16
Sunfish

Go to Top of Page

glivs
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
822 Posts

Response Posted - 09/07/2016 :  04:07:40  Show Profile
Thanks OJ

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page