Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 CDI Furler
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

doublereefed
Navigator

Member Avatar

167 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/20/2016 :  10:36:53  Show Profile
This is a bit of a lazy question, I should just drive out to the boat and look...

But... what is the likely CDI furler model on my 1995 C250 WB? I Googled around for a manual but it looks like there are several versions for the Flexible Furler.

Thanks,

-Richard

'95 C250 WB #61
Midway, UT

Edited by - doublereefed on 05/20/2016 20:41:46

mdidomenico
1st Mate

Members Avatar

71 Posts

Response Posted - 05/20/2016 :  15:41:01  Show Profile
Without seeing pictures of the unit it's probably hard to tell exactly. but mine has a 4/6 on it, i would imagine your does as well.
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 05/20/2016 :  16:43:42  Show Profile
Most of the early WB models shipped with FF2. WK models typically had FF4.

You can find manuals online and look at the pics.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)
Go to Top of Page

doublereefed
Navigator

Members Avatar

167 Posts

Response Posted - 05/20/2016 :  20:40:52  Show Profile
Do these pictures help place the model of my furler?

It rotates freely, but with friction, it doesn't feel like ball bearings.

Should I disassemble and lube the drum?

(PO added a downhaul to the jib head. I'll be removing that line, you can see it in the photo.)

Thanks!

-Richard

'95 C250 WB #61
Midway, UT
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 05/20/2016 :  21:36:09  Show Profile
I'd be careful about removing that "downhaul" - it may actually be a messenger line that is required to raise your jib. (I can't make it out from the picture.) Check the instruction manual for details on the procedure.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#safe=active&q=cdi+ff2+manual

From the manufacturer's website:

FF2:
Drum Diameter 4.0"

FF4:
Drum Diameter 5.5"

Neither model comes with ball bearings. It rotates on a HDPE slider bearing. An optional torlon ball bearing upgrade kit is available for the FF4/6 models. I have it, but it's not really needed. FF2 does not have enough friction to need ball bearings.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Edited by - TakeFive on 05/20/2016 21:42:27
Go to Top of Page

mdidomenico
1st Mate

Members Avatar

71 Posts

Response Posted - 05/21/2016 :  04:24:47  Show Profile
I second the messanger line. i made that mistake my first time also, not realizing the repercussions of disconnecting the line and then hauling the halyard up the track.

in my defense, my halyard was jammed and broken. i would suggest that you get another halyard for the track. mine had the holder style rope with the little slider car. the new ones are better rope with a ferrel.

and grease the little wheel in the swivel at the top. mine squeeks and it's very loud

i also contemplated getting the ball bearing upgrade for mine, but couldn't justify the cost. even with a little wind the jib usually unrolls pretty fast, and hauling it in doesn't seem bind much on the bearing
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9017 Posts

Response Posted - 05/21/2016 :  08:42:21  Show Profile
I would check the care instructions before lubricating, to see what CDI recommends. As with winches, the wrong lube could gum things up, collect grime and salt, etc. My furler had torlon bearings--the instructions were to never lube them with anything--just douse with fresh water. Of course, the non-ball-bearing CDI could be different.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

doublereefed
Navigator

Members Avatar

167 Posts

Response Posted - 05/21/2016 :  16:23:47  Show Profile
Manual says not to lubricate, just wash it out with fresh water as you said Dave.

I read the manual, stared at the furler for a minute, and it turns out to be super simple.

You pull pin C, drum B slides up on the luff and you can see the large torlon bearing in the base. The whole thing was one big dirty mess. Looked like fine dirt. I sprayed it all out with the garden hose, slid the drum back down, pinned it. 100% difference in the feel and friction on the drum.

Thanks for all the help,

-Richard

'95 C250 WB #61
Midway, UT
Go to Top of Page

MartinChico
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
12 Posts

Response Posted - 06/24/2016 :  10:31:54  Show Profile
Our 2008 250wk (mkII) came with the FF2 to manage the 135% Genoa. I think it was WAY too small for that task. I upgraded to the FF4, and it worked MUCH better.

2008 C-250wk #973 Bluebell
Whiskeytown Lake, California
(formerly of Lake Tahoe)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page