Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Trailering
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bladeswell
Captain

Member Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/09/2016 :  17:13:57  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hello Again,

I am curious about how many of you trailer with the outboard and the rudder hung in place on the transom ? I have towed mine 3 times now but never with either hung. But in all 3 moves, I was not on my way to launch. I have a 9.9 4 stroke out board and I am concerned about the weight stressing the transom. Your views will as always be appreciated. Thanks again.

Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.

szymek
Navigator

Members Avatar

Canada
209 Posts

Response Posted - 05/09/2016 :  21:29:53  Show Profile
I moved mine about 3 times already and i always take the rudder and engine off. it's 10 mins job - including time to get someone to give you a hand.

If i was to take a chance, I'd be worried about rudder pintles getting loose and causing damage to rudder.

I would not worry excessively about engine - when out sailing engine usually takes quite a beating when it gets rough.

Again - having said that, I always take both off.

Daniel
Shy Tuna
1985 C-25: SR/FK/TR #4838
Go to Top of Page

offshoreaccount
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
71 Posts

Response Posted - 05/10/2016 :  04:41:06  Show Profile
surely you have experienced more swell while docked or sailing with the engine in the up position and nearly out of the water. I've only lunch moved mine a couple times, botherwise with everything attached.

Offshore Account, 1977 Hull #243. SR, SK
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 05/10/2016 :  04:48:34  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
rudder off engine on. rudder hangs so low, and i cant launch anyways with it on. because of the slope of the ramp, it hits the pavement.

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 05/10/2016 :  08:05:28  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hi Everyone,

No, I have not yet experienced swell and waves as I have not yet had my boat in the water. But I can tell you as a professional truck driver that pot holes and rough roads in general are going to be more stressful in towing than swell or waves. At least this is my opinion. But everyone here has more experience than I and that is why I ask. Thanks again for your help. Good sailing all.

Bladeswell

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 05/10/2016 :  14:40:43  Show Profile
I didn't trailer my C-25, but I've trailered boats. None of their trailers had limousine suspensions! With the outboard on a bracket on a C-25, I would have either removed the motor or tied it to a stern cleat and/or stern rail base with the bracket raised, to absorb some of the impact forces from road imperfections. I had a large Starboard plate under the bracket mounting surfaces that would have helped protect the transom, but I would have removed the motor for anything more than a short, slow-speed trip on a familiar route. The rudder would have come off for its own protection--that's easy.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 05/10/2016 :  18:24:46  Show Profile
I trailer 2000 miles a year with the rudder and engine on and have for 7-8 years. I add a line from the mount to the stern rail to take part of the load. I also secure my kick-up rudder partially up. And you are correct that a swell doesn't come close to the load from hitting a pothole at 60.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 05/10/2016 :  20:31:42  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Thanks guys,

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't being concerned without reason. I will never be trailering more than about 50 miles when the time comes but she's an old girl and I don't want to stress anything that I don't have to. Thanks again.

Bladeswell

Go to Top of Page

Sailynn
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
178 Posts

Response Posted - 05/10/2016 :  22:06:50  Show Profile
we live in calf. and never travel with the 9.8 motor and rudder on. backup the truck with tailgate down to stern of sailboat and remove both and place in truck bed with moving pads around them, motor chained to truck. been doing this with all our trailer sailboats for past 30 years. the roads in CA are the worst!

Lynn Buchanan
1988 C25 SR/WK #5777
Sailynn
Nevada City, CA
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 05/11/2016 :  06:23:44  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Thanks Lynn,

That was exactly my plan.

Bladeswell

Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 05/11/2016 :  09:24:28  Show Profile
I've never seen or heard of a C25 transom being damaged by carrying the motor on it while on the road, but I suppose it's possible. The first year that I owned my FK C25, I failed to check the motor clamps, or to attach a safety line to the motor, and the motor fell off, but the transom wasn't damaged. I never made those mistakes again and never had a re-occurrance.

I usually left the motor on, and left the rudder on for short distances, but removed the rudder for long distances. On a wing or SK, the boat sits lower, and it's easier to remove and re-install the motor, but on a fin keel, the boat is very high, and it's very difficult to remove and re-install the motor singlehandedly. Moreover, most of the weight of an outboard motor is in the power head, and that makes it top-heavy when it is above your head and you are trying to lift it off the mount.

My suggestion is that you use whatever procedure that works for your particular boat and your needs. If you have a beefy young helper, then removing and re-installing it makes sense. If not, then leave it on the mount and tilted, with a safety line, and it's doubtful that there'll be any harm.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore

Edited by - Steve Milby on 05/11/2016 09:25:30
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 05/11/2016 :  11:19:39  Show Profile
Just to add a little side note, If you do leave the motor on when trailering definatley have backing plates for the motermount
installed.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

tpothen
Deckhand

Members Avatar

17 Posts

Response Posted - 05/11/2016 :  12:04:56  Show Profile  Visit tpothen's Homepage
Another side note, watch your tongue weight if you leave the motor on. If I leave my Honda 9.9 on it adds enough weight that I have trailer sway.

"Myasis Dragon" 77' C25/SR/SK/Din.
www.svmyasisdragon.com
Go to Top of Page

offshoreaccount
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
71 Posts

Response Posted - 05/11/2016 :  12:28:57  Show Profile
do you mean it reduces tongue weight enough you have trailer sway?

Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 05/11/2016 :  12:55:36  Show Profile
100'ish pounds beyond the stern probably takes 100'ish pounds off the ball. If it impacts it that much you're probably at the absolute minimum tongue weight for your rig.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle

Edited by - Dave5041 on 05/11/2016 12:57:08
Go to Top of Page

tpothen
Deckhand

Members Avatar

17 Posts

Response Posted - 05/11/2016 :  13:07:59  Show Profile  Visit tpothen's Homepage
It does reduce the tongue weight enough to cause sway. I just wanted to throw that out there so the first time the OP pulls the boat he could watch for it.

This would be easy to fix by sliding the boat forward on the trailer a couple inches but I no longer have to trailer the boat.

"Myasis Dragon" 77' C25/SR/SK/Din.
www.svmyasisdragon.com
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 05/11/2016 :  17:12:16  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Thanks Everyone,

Great advice as always. I will not be trailering often and am currently on a waiting list for a slip. Once she's in her slip I will be selling the trailer, problem solved. I just don't want any undue wear or damage in the meantime. Again my thanks.

Bladeswell

Go to Top of Page

offshoreaccount
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
71 Posts

Response Posted - 05/11/2016 :  18:12:37  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by tpothen

It does reduce the tongue weight enough to cause sway. I just wanted to throw that out there so the first time the OP pulls the boat he could watch for it.

This would be easy to fix by sliding the boat forward on the trailer a couple inches but I no longer have to trailer the boat.

THe way you said it originally indicated that adding the outboard increased tongue weight. I'm merely pointing out the effect is the opposite.

Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 05/11/2016 :  18:27:16  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage

Any weight added behind the axles will reduce tongue weight.

Bladeswell

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 05/11/2016 :  19:46:33  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by offshoreaccount

THe way you said it originally indicated that adding the outboard increased tongue weight. I'm merely pointing out the effect is the opposite.
You both agree. Insufficient tongue weight induces sway. But if the outboard causes that, the tongue weight might have been a little low to begin with. The lever-arm aft of the axles is relatively short compared to that forward to the tongue--110 lbs. back there will translate to much less than that at the hitch.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 05/12/2016 :  15:17:13  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Sailynn

. . . never travel with the 9.8 motor and rudder on. backup the truck with tailgate down to stern of sailboat and remove both and place in truck bed . . .

Ditto

1989 C25 TR/WK, #5822
1973 McVay Minuet 19
1975 Jester 12
1981 C25 SR/SK, #2428
1981 C22 SR/SK,
Tanzer 16
Sunfish

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Kenneth Grahame
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page