Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Slippery cabin floor solution?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

slim
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
113 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/23/2016 :  04:57:15  Show Profile
I was wondering if anyone might have a solution for the slippery cabin floor on my c25 other than carpet?

Slim

1978 - C25 - standard rig - Fixed keel #1040

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 02/23/2016 :  06:15:08  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hello Again Slim,

I'm with you on the carpet. Looks fine when new but this is a boat and its going to get wet. So I would have concerns about milduw. I know what I am going to do, Google up Nuteak. It is a synthetic teak and holly for boat decks and cabin soles. It is non skid, requires no maintenance and will last for years. And to top it off, it just plain looks great. The bad news, I talked with my local supplier/installer and we're talking $2000. One other minor concern, I don't know how tall you are but I am 5'8" and always bumping my head as I move around the boat. The Nuteak is going to be about 3/8" thick taking away just a bit more headroom. But I don't think any more than carpet would. Best of luck.

Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.

Edited by - Bladeswell on 02/23/2016 06:45:30
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 02/23/2016 :  06:43:08  Show Profile
Would different footwear help? I had an old pair of Sperrys that were so comfortable that I wore until all the tread on the soles was gone, and they got really slippery. IMO, good quality boat shoes with fresh tread is indispensable, especially on wet, slanting decks.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 02/23/2016 :  06:50:36  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
LoL Steve,

Certainly a much cheaper way to go. Some times I think I over think things. But I want the Nuteak for the look of teak and holly rather than for the non skid part.

Bladeswell

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 02/23/2016 :  09:03:52  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bladeswell

L...But I want the Nuteak for the look of teak and holly rather than for the non skid part.
Look up PlasTeak--their vinyl teak-and-holly flooring isn't anywhere near that thick, and you can cut and install it yourself. Many boat makers are using it now. I can't speak to the slipperiness under wet, worn out boat shoes, spike heels, or whatever...

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 02/23/2016 :  09:07:12  Show Profile
How about door mats, Rubber backed and can be picked up and hosed off if needed. Stain and mold proof. Might need one for the galley, 2 along the settee and one for the head area.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 02/23/2016 :  10:18:34  Show Profile
Yup--LLBean has a large selection of sizes, shapes, colors and patterns.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 02/23/2016 10:19:08
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 02/23/2016 :  10:53:48  Show Profile
I use outdoor carpet: thin, very mildew resistant, rubber backed, cheap. When deck shoes get slippery I scrub the sole with a brush and detergent which generally works. A light to medium sandpaper works if the sole get polished from wear. Slippery when dry is a common symptom.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 02/23/2016 :  13:33:02  Show Profile
Door mats sound like a good idea, but I have used a custom-cut piece of regular carpet for the last 10 years. Right now it is too cold for sailing in MD, and the carpet is in my shed waiting for its next scrubbing with laundry detergent, hosing off, and air drying for a week or so out of the rain in my wood shed. It's just one of my routines on the boat, and I usually wash it after a fun sailing trip with friends who make a mess of it in many, interesting ways.

This is the second piece of carpet that I have cut using the first one which got too gross to clean any more. I have one more piece in the shed that can be cut when this one gives out in a few years.

Someone at the marina threw out a 30 foot long, 8 foot wide piece of beige carpet 10 years ago, and that's my supply! You see, the price was just right!

And I also use a beige bath mat in the head. That's easier to clean periodically than the big cabin carpet.

JohnP
1978 C25 SR/FK "Gypsy"
Mill Creek off the Magothy River, Chesapeake Bay
Port Captain, northern Chesapeake Bay

Edited by - JohnP on 02/23/2016 13:34:40
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 02/23/2016 :  14:19:16  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hi Again,

Thanks Dave. I will look up Plas Teak. I don't know that the Nuteak is 3/8". I just took a guess at it. It could very well be thinner. You can also buy the Nuteak material and do your own cut and install. The $2000 price tag is for them to do it all. Thanks again.

Bladeswell

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page