Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Is this gloss or semi-gloss?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Member Avatar

814 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/15/2016 :  15:14:32  Show Profile
I noticed this Catalina 25 on Yachtworld: http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1985/Catalina-25-2817984/Lake-Lewisville-Dallas/TX/United-States#.VsJMUMeZlkg

Is the finish on the wood gloss or semi-gloss? Could it possibly be from the varnishes available from Catalina Direct? Thanks in advance.

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/

Edited by - sethp001 on 02/15/2016 15:16:07

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 02/15/2016 :  15:43:28  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hi Seth,
I took a look at the pics of the boat in yacht world. I hope that is the boat in question. I'm going to assume your question is about the exterior bright work. As an ex cabinet maker, I can tell you that it would be next to impossible to tell you with any certainty what finish was used. While it certainly looks good, those same results can be had by using good spar quality varnish, Sikkens Cetol or polyurethane. While varnish is most commonly used Cetol has a strong following. Polyurethane is rarely used on boats.
With the exception of the galley table and galley drawers, it looks like most of the interior may be an oil finish. Again, I say maybe. Always hard to judge by photos. And yes, you can obtain a similar or even a superior finish from the products sold by CD. An added benefit is that CD will tell you in their product description What finish was used for the boats of a given year. Both external and interior finishes. WM will have the greatest amount of choices.
Best of luck. I hope this was helpful. Bladeswell

C25 TR FK Hull #973 1979 L-Dinette. So.Cal.
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 02/15/2016 :  16:02:50  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Sorry Seth,

I forgot to answer your primary question. My best guess is gloss not semi gloss. I think most boaters choose gloss for their bright work. By the way, Cetol will last much longer than varnish however, you need to do your research. It is available in 4 color variations. Most prefer Natural teak. Some of the others while trying to enhance the teak color just come out an unsightly orangish color.

Bladeswell

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9014 Posts

Response Posted - 02/16/2016 :  13:29:06  Show Profile
The hatchboards and the few other exterior pieces I could see look like a satin finish to me. They could be done with Cetol, which gives a satin finish unless you use their gloss top-coat (meant to be applied over one of their satin finishes). Cetol Marine (their original) has the most UV protection--Natural Teak has somewhat less, but doesn't reduce the contrast in the grain as much as Marine. The gloss topcoat can help emphasize the grain, but provides no UV protection on its own. I mostly used Cetol Marine, although tried some Natural Teak, which seemed a little yellowish.

Cetol is generally chosen for ease of maintenance. If spar varnish is chipped, peels, or degrades, it generally has to be fully removed to get back to a flawless finish. Cetol can be lightly sanded and then touched up and/or overcoated--once a year light maintenance is a good idea for high UV exposure. It's a soft material that isn't ideal for high wear areas like companionway steps.

Polyurethane can be an excellent finish for interior wood if you want a gloss, semi, or satin finish. However, a number of folks here have used Howard's Restore-a-Finish on their interior teak--typically a lighter color like Golden Oak to keep the interior from getting too dark. It's a wipe-on, wipe-off type of product. Others have reported using lemon oil (for fragrance as well as looks). I used tung oil in my current interior, giving a hard satin finish after a few coats.

EDIT: BTW, my "dumpster" never looked that good, probably even straight out of the factory!

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 02/16/2016 13:35:06
Go to Top of Page

sethp001
Mainsheet C-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

814 Posts

Response Posted - 02/18/2016 :  17:00:00  Show Profile
Thank you Guy and Dave. BTW, we named our youngest son Guy.

Seth
"Outlier" 1987 Catalina 25 SR/SK/Traditional Interior #5541
"Zoo" 1977 Morgan Out Island 30
"Nomad" 1980 Prindle 16
"Lost" 1988 Catalina Capri 14.2 (sold - yay!)
"Marine Tex 1" Unknown Origin POS 8' Fiberglass Dinghy
https://whichsailboat.com/2014/07/27/catalina-25-review/
Go to Top of Page

Bladeswell
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
490 Posts

Response Posted - 02/18/2016 :  18:41:21  Show Profile  Visit Bladeswell's Homepage
Hello Again,

Seth, I've been told that Guy in french means guide or leader. I don't know if its true or not, but makes for an interesting aside. Good sailing.
Bladeswell

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page