Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 WOT bogs down
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NCBrew
Captain

Member Avatar

USA
338 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/07/2016 :  05:44:31  Show Profile
I have a Nissan 9.8 and had an idle problem. I cleaned the carb and adjusted the screw near the rear of the carb. Now it will ladle but when I open the throttle it bogs down and stops.

Ncbrew

1998 Catalina 250WK
Ravaging
Albemarle Sound,NC

I spent most of my money on boats and beer, the rest I just wasted.

jduck00
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
313 Posts

Response Posted - 02/09/2016 :  06:55:40  Show Profile
I would check the main jet and make sure its flowing freely.

If you give it throttle slowly, does it die or will it eventually gain rpm? I had this issue with my yamaha OB. It would bog, but didn't die. I leaned up the idle mixture, and opened it up a little more on idle. On mine there are two sets of low speed jets. One is fixed, and the other is adjustable with the idle mixture jet. I opened up the throttle enough to pick up fuel from the fixed jet and then turned down the idle mixture to get my idle right.

One other thought is that you may have a vacuum leak between the carb and the manifold. Spray a little carb cleaner around that connection. If the idle jumps you know you're sucking air somewhere.

Jeremy Duck
The Lucky Duck
1980 SKSR Hull # 1850

Edited by - jduck00 on 02/09/2016 06:57:24
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9017 Posts

Response Posted - 02/09/2016 :  07:33:18  Show Profile
Ya, I was going to mention an air leak--it could be anywhere from the tank to the carb--particularly either of the two connectors. (Of course, another cause of those symptoms can be a closed tank vent, but I wouldn't want to suggest something that obvious... )

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

jduck00
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
313 Posts

Response Posted - 02/09/2016 :  08:11:02  Show Profile
Sound advice Dave. In my head, I was assuming the carb bowl has plenty of gas in it.

Jeremy Duck
The Lucky Duck
1980 SKSR Hull # 1850
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 02/09/2016 :  20:14:36  Show Profile
I don't know about your motor, but there is commonly an acceleration pump that shoots a bit of fuel into the throat when you open the throttle. Usually its a little piston that the throttle linkage pushes down on the side of the carb. I just tore down and cleaned my Merc carb and discovered a little debris that prevented the pump lever from returning and filling. Also, by clean. do you mean the you disassembled the carb and cleaned all jets and orifices with carb cleaner?

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

NCBrew
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
338 Posts

Response Posted - 02/17/2016 :  08:23:48  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by NCBrew

I have a Nissan 9.8 and had an idle problem. I cleaned the carb and adjusted the screw near the rear of the carb. Now it will ladle but when I open the throttle it bogs down and stops.

Ncbrew

Found the problem "water in the gas"

Here is how I fixed the water in the gas problem.

1998 Catalina 250WK
Ravaging
Albemarle Sound,NC

Edited by - NCBrew on 02/28/2016 15:23:29
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 02/23/2016 :  16:43:37  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
I found one of these in a local NAPA autoparts store: http://www.mrfunnel.com/Mr._Funnel/Models.html

It's pretty clever and seems to work well. I had visible water running around in one of my tanks, I poured the contents of the tank into another tank, and the funnel slowly filled up with nasty water. As it filled, I went out and poured the residue into the cracks in my driveway.

Now I use it all the time for putting fuel into any of my containers, plus the boat has it's own Racor fuel/water separator should any get past the funnel thingy.

David
C-250 Mainsheet Editor

Sirius Lepak
1997 C-250 WK TR #271 --Seattle area Port Captain --
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 02/23/2016 :  18:37:09  Show Profile
quote:
Water and debris will collect in the sump, the area below the filter. Pour sump contents into separate approved container and treat as hazardous waste.

So Dave, The cracks in the driveway are an approved hazardous waste dump?

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9017 Posts

Response Posted - 02/23/2016 :  19:19:14  Show Profile
A Racor separator is pretty much a necessary insurance policy now--especially for anyone who buys their gas at a marina. Gas cycles through their tanks much more slowly than at typical car gas stations and sometimes sits totally stagnant through the whole off-season, inviting phase separation of acidic water, and little outboard carburetors are much more sensitive to water than car fuel injectors.

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 02/23/2016 19:22:16
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 02/25/2016 :  20:42:30  Show Profile
As a guy who was driven to a Torqeedo by 4 stoke engines, I really believe everyone should just carry a new carburetor with them and take their time rebuilding the alternate unit... just keep cycling them. It is so easy to change one out.

Frank Hopper
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9017 Posts

Response Posted - 02/25/2016 :  21:50:34  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by pastmember

...I really believe everyone should just carry a new carburetor with them and take their time rebuilding the alternate unit... just keep cycling them. It is so easy to change one out.

...even when you're trying to enter a marina with a cross-wind and a current. It just takes a Phillips, a 3/16" socket, a flat blade to release the carb from the gasket, and 5-6 minutes with nobody yelling at you to not run into their boats...

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9017 Posts

Response Posted - 02/28/2016 :  15:47:23  Show Profile
Hope that works... That's a lot of "lift" from the tank to the Racor. Is that another filter just above the outboard?

My layout was different, with the cockpit fuel locker on port and the outboard on starboard, but here's where I put my Racor...

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 02/29/2016 07:56:24
Go to Top of Page

NCBrew
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
338 Posts

Response Posted - 03/02/2016 :  04:56:31  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

Hope that works... That's a lot of "lift" from the tank to the Racor. Is that another filter just above the outboard?

My layout was different, with the cockpit fuel locker on port and the outboard on starboard, but here's where I put my Racor...

The lift is not a problem at this time. (fuel pump is working fine). I like your setup and I may move mine. That is a paper filter and I may remove it.

1998 Catalina 250WK
Ravaging
Albemarle Sound,NC

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page