Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Wiring
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dmarion
1st Mate

Member Avatar

Canada
67 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/17/2016 :  08:08:59  Show Profile
My winter project involves installing a 12V wireless gizmo besides one of the cabin lights on the ceiling. How easy is it to pull a new wire from the ceiling light (this is how I plan to access the conduit) to the fuse box?
Thank you.

Daniel Marion
Zendo
Cat 250 WB 2001 Hull #592
Valleyfield, QC,
Canada

Edited by - dmarion on 01/17/2016 08:20:12

mdidomenico
1st Mate

Members Avatar

71 Posts

Response Posted - 01/17/2016 :  09:08:20  Show Profile
I'm not sure what year you have or which ceiling light of the two, but on my '96 250WB the headliner is glued to the shell and the wires are sandwiched in between. I'm re-wiring my boat/mast this winter, it hasn't been easy.
Go to Top of Page

dmarion
1st Mate

Members Avatar

Canada
67 Posts

Response Posted - 01/17/2016 :  12:22:33  Show Profile
It is a 250WB 2001. I think that either ceiling light would do. Is the wiring running to starboard to go reach the fuse pannel? I would use the opening of the ceiling light on that side. Were you able to pull the wires to replace them or you had to rip the headliner?
Thanks.

Daniel Marion
Zendo
Valleyfield, QC,
Canada
Go to Top of Page

mdidomenico
1st Mate

Members Avatar

71 Posts

Response Posted - 01/23/2016 :  06:54:25  Show Profile
I haven't gotten that far yet. I'm not sure i could rip the headliner though, it looks like it's bonded all over.

i was thinking i would run the wires down the wall to the seat and then carry into the seat through the kitchenette and back up to the fuse panel location

once i get into the v-berth area it's an easy run to the panel, its just getting there from the mast that's hard. Or at least hard without making it look ugly
Go to Top of Page

frog0911
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1349 Posts

Response Posted - 01/23/2016 :  12:52:32  Show Profile
Once you are below the mast you have about 2 inches between the outer hull and the inner shell. You can then snake a wire down the starboard side to the gunnel then straight back to the panel. It will be easier if you remove the teak rail from the side then reinstall when finished. That is how I ran power up to beside the two lights for the install of two fans. Good luck.

Frog and The General

C250, Pretty Penny II, #743
FLEET 25
Coronado 15, M-Cube, #3316
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 01/24/2016 :  10:39:25  Show Profile
ABYC has some standards for how electrical wires should be secured in a boat so that they aren't chafed over time by bare fiberglass and the like each time the boat pounds on a wave, vibration from the motor, etc. What I recall is that wires should be held every ?? inches by something like the nylon wire ties that can be screwed down. I became aware of this as my current boat was being built. It might sound anal, but if you don't appreciate the delicate aroma of burning insulation........

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 01/24/2016 10:41:15
Go to Top of Page

dmarion
1st Mate

Members Avatar

Canada
67 Posts

Response Posted - 01/25/2016 :  14:36:53  Show Profile
Thank you for your comments. I look forward to the Spring and to explore what lies beneath that deck... :-)

Daniel Marion
Zendo
Valleyfield, QC,
Canada
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page