Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Swap Meet
 Capri 25 North Main sail for sale
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

joearcht
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
236 Posts

Initially Posted - 12/19/2015 :  17:28:17  Show Profile
I have an old North dacron main sail. It was on the boat when I bought it and North can not find the paper work, so I do not know exactly how old it is. It is fully functional and I was racing with it last season.
It probably will not meet one design measurements as I'm sure the roach is over sized. The sail will hit the back stay and needs help in light wind on tacks.
I have pictures I can email if interested. Asking $75.00 plus shipping by whatever means requested. It will have a shipping weight of approx 24 lbs and will ship in two packages, one for the sail and one for the battens.

Joe W Hiller Jr
1985 Capri 25
Hull #433

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 12/19/2015 :  18:32:13  Show Profile
If someone with a Catalina 25 tall rig wants to raise it's low hanging boom, a Capri 25 mainsail will fit, and when raised to the top of the mast, it will raise the boom one foot higher. It won't work, however, if the boom is fixed at the gooseneck. If I still had my Catalina 25 T/FK, I'd buy it.

FWIW, for racing purposes, mainsails are measured along the luff and the foot, but the roach is not measured. Consequently, sailmakers make the roach of a racing sail as big as possible, and it's perfectly normal for them to hit the backstay when tacking or gybing.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore

Edited by - Steve Milby on 12/19/2015 18:33:12
Go to Top of Page

joearcht
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
236 Posts

Response Posted - 12/20/2015 :  07:36:41  Show Profile
Thanks Steve, I didn't know that about the Roach, I've never raced one design. I just want any buyer to beware that the overlap is about 8" and has to be contended with in light wind. I think the previous owner must have raced this boat on a large lake or the ocean with distance courses to have such a sail. I race short handed on a small lake where a half mile leg is a luxury. I found the backstay interference distracting. Should be fine for cruising and such.

Joe W Hiller Jr
1985 Capri 25
Hull #433
Go to Top of Page

Derek Crawford
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3312 Posts

Response Posted - 12/20/2015 :  10:22:07  Show Profile
Joe, as one who had a somewhat sizeable roach on the mainsail, I found that in light air, if you eased the main about 4" as you started to tack it gave the sail enough momentum to "blow past" the backstay.

Derek Crawford
Chief Measurer C25-250 2008
Previous owner of "This Side UP"
1981 C-25 TR/FK #2262 Used to have an '89 C22 #9483, "Downsized"
San Antonio, Texas
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 12/20/2015 :  10:28:58  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Derek Crawford

Joe, as one who had a somewhat sizeable roach on the mainsail, I found that in light air, if you eased the main about 4" as you started to tack it gave the sail enough momentum to "blow past" the backstay.

Good idea Derek! I'll try that next year with my Cal 25. Thanks!

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page