Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Lessons Learned from Not Thinking
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
3370 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/16/2015 :  04:07:23  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
I learned two valuable lessons this past week:

1) If you run a 9.9HP Honda for about 1/2 hour without the dip stick in, oil can bubble up and out the dip stick hole equal to at least several ounces or more.

2) Always remember to re-install the dipstick when adding or changing oil.

I had my boat In the Wash sailing Marina Mtn yard (across and south on the river from my marina) for bottom painting (Micron Extra: Multi-yr Copolymer paint). While the yard personnel prepped and painted the bottom, I was performing some odds and ends around the boat including outboard maintenance: oil filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, engine and lube oil change-out. I believe what happened was that I knew it would take a quart of engine oil but as I came close to adding the full quart, I was checking with the dip stick a few times adding a few of the last ounces of oil. So, rather than leaving the dip stick in each time I added a bit more oil, I kept the dip stick nearby on a step stool, etc. When it was apparent that I really did have to add the whole quart, I finished up and buttoned the cowling over the outboard. A day or two later, the boat was in the water and I sailed back to my marina. As I backed into my marina slip, I noticed an oil sheen. After back in the slip and checking for leaks, I noticed the top sides of the engine and the cowling had presence of oil - Then I noticed the missing dip stick ! The next day, I went back to the yard and with some of the yard personnel, we found the dip stick laying on the ground to the rear of where my boat was in the mtn yard.

Dipstick back where it should be - Went sailing - All is fine ! The oil level is now not at the full mark but half way down ! I'll probably add oil this next week but oil level is okay. and no more leakage.

I should always put the dip stick back in it's place rather than place it down somewhere and risk forgetting to re-install it !

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 09/16/2015 :  05:06:27  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
now the inside of your cowling is all yucky!

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5853 Posts

Response Posted - 09/16/2015 :  05:10:21  Show Profile
I just found something that scared me to death. Last year I had the marina winterize my C&C 35. When I began to winterize the head this year, I found that the water intake hose was put on the through hull, but neither clamp was tightened. I guess you can't assume that the marina did it right. You should check each hose after it's done.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore

Edited by - Steve Milby on 09/16/2015 08:06:23
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 09/16/2015 :  05:29:06  Show Profile
Takes a man to admit to his mistakes, No harm done but your extremely lucky you found that dip stick. That would have been a PITA!

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

glivs
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
822 Posts

Response Posted - 09/16/2015 :  06:13:57  Show Profile
Upon launching this spring, the Admiral and I motored out a couple of miles when the OB began to bog down. I checked the bulb pressure, the in-line filter, motor and tank connections and found no problems. We limped back to our mooring with the Admiral's confidence markedly reduced when I finally checked the hose clamp fittings to the in-line filter. Both sides had loosened to the point of likely allowing air into the line. I tightened the clamps and the motor has run fine since...one more thing now on the spring commissioning check-list.

Gerry & Leslie; Malletts Bay, VT
"Great Escape" 1989 C-25 SR/WK #5972
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 09/16/2015 :  06:56:17  Show Profile
Oversight makes (keeps) you vigilant . . .

1989 C25 TR/WK, #5822
1973 McVay Minuet 19
1975 Jester 12
1981 C25 SR/SK, #2428
1981 C22 SR/SK,
Tanzer 16
Sunfish

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Kenneth Grahame

Edited by - OJ on 09/16/2015 06:58:09
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9017 Posts

Response Posted - 09/16/2015 :  08:00:13  Show Profile
Hi Larry... I'm a little confused. I..... ummm..... always check the oil level one more time after I've finished changing or adding oil, or even after a shop has done it for me. Over is as bad as under. Maybe that should be added to your procedure.

Then again, I've (probably twice) started my V6 Honda outboard when it was tipped up out of the water. It lets everyone in the marina know, including me! So something was missing from my procedure.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3370 Posts

Response Posted - 09/16/2015 :  08:54:08  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Thanks for the comments!

My thought was that many of us have done something that they probably would not like to admit but in so doing, it becomes a lesson learned. So, please add what we can benefit from in this posting.

Since I discovered the oil mishap upon my return to my slip. Things did not get too yucky yet. I cleaned up the residuals in the cowling, topside and along the exterior of the outboard. There was not that much of a mess and things looking pretty good right now. But if I see any dust/gunk collecting, then I will go over it again with a rag.

I was fortunate to find the dipstick. I may have had a real problem getting another one. That first night before I went back to the marina to search for the dip stick, I could not find a source, even through Honda, that specifically had the part called out for ordering. However, the local marina on the DC side of the river has a well equipped parts dept and they would have been my next stop if I could not find the dipstick. They probably would not have a new dipstick in their parts inventory but they probably would have been able to order one or may have had an old non-running outboard that they could cannibalize a dipstick.

The thing is that I was checking the oil level as I was adding the quart of oil. The spec calls for a quart but I thought it may take slightly less and so I rested the dip stick on the side and kept checking as I was adding the last ounces of oil. When it was apparent to just add the last ounce or two, I was already closing in on the full mark and that is where I made my mistake - I had no reason to check the level again - I knew it was going to be at the full mark because I was just a smidgeon off of full before I added the residuals from the oil container. (Had I checked once more - I would have the dip stick in my hand and would have snugged it up in the hole after a last measurement check.)

Larry

Edited by - OLarryR on 09/16/2015 08:54:35
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3370 Posts

Response Posted - 09/16/2015 :  16:07:38  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Dave - I also have started my outboard when in the vertical raised position. I did that in the mtn yard to ensure no issues with the spark plugs, etc mtn I performed on the outboard. Last thing I wanted not to deal with was having an issue when they lowered me back in the water with the travel arm.
I also momentarily start the outboard in the raised position when I sail in the winter time and return to the slip. If temps may drop below freezing at night, I ensure the impeller has flicked off any standing water surrounding it. In this instance. I run it probably for less than 5 seconds.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 09/16/2015 :  19:17:57  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
Sorry you had to learn this the hard way. I did so as well, but a Tohatsu 9.8 is a bit less forgiving than your Honda, it'll happily spray the contents of the oil sump everywhere at a rapid pace. Fortunately (sort of), I had the cowling off so I was alerted to the absence of the oil plug rather quickly. However, since I was standing on a ladder leaning over the engine to start it, well, let's just say I've never worn that particular shirt again in public.

David
C-250 Mainsheet Editor

Sirius Lepak
1997 C-250 WK TR #271 --Seattle area Port Captain --
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3370 Posts

Response Posted - 09/17/2015 :  03:40:14  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
I guess as long as you were oiled up, you should have made an appointment to get a massage ! LOL

I was curious as to just how much oil I had lost during my sail back to my marina. First, when I momentarily started the outboard in the mtn yard checking out if it would start okay after changing spark plugs, etc, I had the cowling on and it was such a brief start that no oil was present. Then when they lowered the boat into the water with the travel lift and I got in and took off, the Washington Sailing Marina (located adjacent to the south end of Natl Reagan Aairport) has a very long narrow channel heading south toward Old Town , VA and you mostly motor all the way down to get out of the marina area before then raising sails and sailing north. I guess I had the outboard on about...15 minutes or so and not full blast but slow starting off and then at moderate speed. Then when closing in on my marina on the DC side, I had the outboard on perhaps 5 minutes or so to get into the marina and my slip. So, perhaps a total of 20 minutes. When I did retrieve my dip stick the next day, then the following day I inserted back into my outboard and checked the oil level. I was at the full mark on the dip stick afterchanging the oil at the mtn yard and it was mid-way between the full and low marks when I then measured it at my slip. So...not exactly sure how much oil loss that accounts for given it had 1 quart of oil in it at the beginning. When you look at the oil sheen and the one or two drops coming off the outboard into the drink when at my slip, thought was that over 20 minutes, I ust have lost a good bit of oil. But the cleanup was not that big a deal. The cowling had a slight film of oil but only in the vicinity of the dip stick area (perhaps a 6" radius area). When I mentioned there was oil on the top works, well that was only a clear tube that is visible near the dip stick hole. The oil on the casing, there was perhaps a light film in the vicinity of the dip stick but no standing oil and not much to wipe up. I figured the outboard outside down to the prop probably had some oil stream present but did not really notice that much. That was the extent of oil present. The oil sheen at my finger slip, it seemed to spread out quite a bit and it gives the impression of a lot of oil caused it when in reality perhaps only a drop or two can really spread out once it hits the water. Based on the dip stick reading...I estimate I may have lost (after 20 minutes of run time)...maybe 4 ounces of oil........
Anyone have an idea of how much oil it takes to lower from the upper (full) mark on a Honda 9.9HP to then read mid-way between the "full" and "low" marks on the dip stick if it takes 1 quart of oil to fill up the sump (with some in the oil filter) ?? ~ 4 ounces ? meaning a total of 8 ounces between the two marks ??

Larry

Edited by - OLarryR on 09/17/2015 03:42:38
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page