Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Lazy Dave
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tweeet65
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
55 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/28/2015 :  12:57:42  Show Profile
Hey gang, thinkin bout a homemade Lazy Jack. Kits are soooo expensive. On a std rig, anyone know the height of the mast attachment point?

Kper
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
417 Posts

Response Posted - 08/28/2015 :  13:34:45  Show Profile
I have a SR and was considering a lazy jack as well. I'm curious to see what you come up with and what the parts list looks like.

Kyle
'86 SR/SK/Dinette #5284 "Anodyne"
In the barn where we found her...
Go to Top of Page

ct95949
Captain

Members Avatar

Aruba
300 Posts

Response Posted - 08/29/2015 :  09:00:22  Show Profile
You absolutely do not need a kit for this. I've rigged a simple set of lazy jacks on two boats and they work great. I tapped threads for pad eyes about 6" below the spreaders, then ran 3/16" line down each side to small Harken blocks. Another 3/16" line starts at a pad eye forward on the boom, then up to the first block, then down to a fairlead aft on the boom, then up to the second block, then ends at a cleat forward on the boom. The key is keeping everything light with little friction so as not to interfere with the mainsail shape. You can place the hardware on the boom where it makes sense to you, I just want the cradle to catch the sail instead of spilling all over the cabin top. Here are some pics from my old boat.

'90 SR/WK #6017. PO of '79 SR/SK.
Go to Top of Page

tweeet65
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
55 Posts

Response Posted - 08/29/2015 :  10:19:05  Show Profile
Thanks Craig, 6 inches below spreaders. Any advantage going higher?
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 08/29/2015 :  13:08:05  Show Profile
There's really no need to go higher and the placement for the pad eyes isn't that critical up or down some. I had cheek blocks instead of the pad eyes on the mast. The most critical part is where the lines are positioned on the boom. You want the lines to catch as much sail without the sail falling out of the cradle. You can see in the photo how the forward line catches the most bulky part of the sail really well. You may have to raise the sail and lower it at the dock to find the sweet spot before making holes in the boom. The kit is way overpriced and you can put this together for much less.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Kim Luckner
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
96 Posts

Response Posted - 08/29/2015 :  14:20:31  Show Profile
I'll add that mine are about 4 feet above my spreaders. The PO installed and used Harken blocks. Mine work well.
There is a Harken link http://www.harken.com/uploadedFiles/Product_Support/PDF/4058.pdf that may be helpful.

Catalina Direct show them well above the spreaders.

Seeadler
'79 C25 SR/FK #1432
Mentor Lagoons
Go to Top of Page

JanS48
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
141 Posts

Response Posted - 08/29/2015 :  23:33:44  Show Profile
Greetings
To CT95949 - thanks for the pics. Now what is the procedure putting on a sail cover? Once you tie down the sail to the boom how do the lazy jacks get out of the way? 0r do you need to cut openings in the sail cover.

82 C25 SR FK
Sailing out of Newport Harbor.
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 08/30/2015 :  05:43:15  Show Profile
You could have a custom cover made or you can use a standard cover. To use a standard cover you need to leave extra line on the 2 adjustment lines that come down the mast to the cleats. At the end of the day you loosen those 2 lines then pull the lazy jacks forward to the mast and put the cover on. You can mark the lines with a marker so the next time you go sailing you can put the lazy jacks back where they were. With a custom cover you can just leave the jacks and not have to move them forward to the mast.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 08/30/2015 05:45:35
Go to Top of Page

ct95949
Captain

Members Avatar

Aruba
300 Posts

Response Posted - 08/30/2015 :  07:57:54  Show Profile
That's why the system ends with a cleat, so you can slack the line when putting on the cover or while sailing in light air conditions. My extra line is in the one on the boom, just take it off the cleat and pull it forward. On my new boat the new main is still really stiff so I have the line loose and don't need to make any adjustment to put the cover on.

'90 SR/WK #6017. PO of '79 SR/SK.
Go to Top of Page

jerlim
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1484 Posts

Response Posted - 09/07/2015 :  17:30:22  Show Profile
FWIW...my PO installed home-brewed lazy jacks, using pad eyes as the connection to the mast...and they are about 2' ABOVE the spreaders...also - the aft connection to the boom is just beyond the middle of the boom.

Jerry
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page