Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Heat Lightning
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

3474 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/27/2015 :  05:33:23  Show Profile
Anchored out last weekend and had some friends out in another boat and after they left I spent the night. Incredible light show as the storm slowly moved over me in the night, and the next morning another. Only a few from the sky to the ground.. You know they are close when you see the light, a crack and a boom all at the same time ( and you jump )

Had to stay put as the anchor was hung. After the storm moved over I was able to snorkel down and remove the rhode from the tree stump and now my new motto is never anchor deeper that you are willing to dive down to go get it... From the Tao of Steve Zissou.

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
"Lee Key" '84 Catalina 25
Standard Rig / Fin Keel

Edited by - redeye on 08/27/2015 05:34:29

Tomas Kruska
Admiral

Members Avatar

Czech Republic
522 Posts

Response Posted - 08/27/2015 :  05:58:34  Show Profile  Visit Tomas Kruska's Homepage
...or prepare and train the process to recover the anchor without diving gizmos like:

Dalpol Phobos 21, 2013, Sole Mio, hull #27, current adventures - We sail Phobos 21

PO of Catalina C25, 1978, High Anxiety, hull #701, SR, FK, L-dinette, inboard diesel Volvo Penta MD2010C w/saildrive - more info

Edited by - Tomas Kruska on 08/27/2015 06:01:23
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 08/27/2015 :  08:27:47  Show Profile
Yep.. we have tree stumps exposed on the bottom with a root system extending out. The anchor is not hung, but the line gets entangled in the root system. This time I found three roots extended in the same direction, with the middle root shorter than the ones on either side. The rode had slid up under the middle root up to the stump.

Often you can winch up and crank away and nothing happens, drive around and sometimes you wrap even more. I have been known to free dive to 100 feet, so 20 feet down to unwrap a line is not difficult.

Using 2 Modified river anchors keeps the chance of hanging up pretty low, but it still happens sometimes.

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
Standard Rig / Fin Keel

Edited by - redeye on 08/27/2015 08:31:27
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 08/27/2015 :  12:21:56  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by redeye
From the Tao of Steve Zissou.

changing your boat name to bellafonte?

Todd Lewis
Eowyn 87 TR/WK C25 #5656
ARWEN 84 TR/SK C25 #4031
www.mainsailsailingschool.com
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 08/27/2015 :  13:42:18  Show Profile
<< bellafonte >>

Not yet but.... I'll order you a red cap and a speedo.

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5236 Posts

Response Posted - 08/28/2015 :  19:11:02  Show Profile
My favorite 4th of July fireworks were not man-made but a line of Thunderstorms moving down from Athens GA to Atlanta. We left a friend's house in Athens after our 4th of July pig roast (and awesome cole slaw) around 9:00 and all the way back from there to ATL, this line of incredible storms followed our car (or we followed them) for 90 minutes down the I-85 back into town.
Best durn fireworks we'd ever seen.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page