Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Drinking water purifier
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/19/2015 :  04:19:35  Show Profile
The local drinking water at the marina has a chlorine taste especially this late in the season - the supplier adds more due to warmer waters. At home I use a carbon filter gizmo (Pur, Brita, etc) but that uses water pressure to force it through the filter.
Does anybody know of a hand pump-type water purifier I can install on the boat to provide a cup at a time?

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 08/19/2015 :  06:26:25  Show Profile
I use an in-line filter on the hose when we fill the potable water tank. I get them at the RV supply store. When you connect the hose run some water through it to purge before filling the tank. I use bleach to sanitize the hose, tank and system on the boat once a year. You can use a drill motor pump to empty the water tank after you sanitize it so you don't have to pump all of it through the faucets. I do two clear water rinses after the bleach treatment.

1988 WK/SR w/inboard diesel Joe Pool Lake
Hobie 18 Lake Worth

Life is not a dress rehearsal. You will not get another chance.
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 08/19/2015 :  09:24:41  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
I've got one of these Sawyer Water Filters. It may be too slow for what you're looking for, but if you only use it for drinking water you should be fine. They also make much larger ones that'll work faster. The one I've got is good for 100k (not a typo) gallons of water. You can get them from Walmart for about $18 as I recall.

David
C-250 Mainsheet Editor

Sirius Lepak
1997 C-250 WK TR #271 --Seattle area Port Captain --
Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 08/19/2015 :  09:45:06  Show Profile
Bruce,
There are Brita filters that sit in a jug and are gravity-fed:

Brita pitcher

JohnP
1978 C25 SR/FK "Gypsy"
Mill Creek off the Magothy River, Chesapeake Bay
Port Captain, northern Chesapeake Bay
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 08/19/2015 :  11:08:16  Show Profile
To remove the chlorine taste you need a carbon/charcoal type of filter. The Sawyer filter is more for removing impurity's from raw water like lakes or streams but won't do anything for the chlorine removal. We just bring Bottled water with us but if your looking to drink the water from the boat tank that is filled from the municipal water supply but is heavy on the chlorine I would look into just installing an inline charcoal filter in the hose under the sink. maybe an inline filter for an ice maker. I know that in my Marina the water tastes awful. Look around and you might see that most of a Marinas plumbing is with lawn sprinkler plastic pipes and more flexible hoses running under the docks.Easy to blow out when the freeze comes.You could be tasting that plus the normal chlorine from the municipal water. I just don't see why any Marina would tamper with the water by adding chlorine. Cost/risk.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 08/19/2015 16:11:57
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 08/19/2015 :  16:47:23  Show Profile
White pvc pipe is generally not for potable water. Be sure of what you're filling with before adding the charcoal filter. We also just keep a case of bottled water for drinking and brushing teeth.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/22/2015 :  09:05:30  Show Profile
Because I'm out on a floating dock I have to dinghy out to, I prefer not to fill bottles at home, carry them out to the marina and lug them in the dink.
I can also sail back to the fixed dock and fill the jugs with marina water and have done so for washing, rinsing the deck and utility. But if I could get acceptable drinking water filtering the marina water, that would save some lugging.
I can get a Pur or Brita pitcher but where do I keep it? The polycarbonate will break when it hits the floor.
I can create a gizmo with a 2.5 gallon HDPE spring water jug, some hose and fittings, an inline Pur-type charcoal filter and a Whale pump handle mounted in the galley sink. I just thought that such a thing might already exist and was ready to install.
But there ain't much to it but to do it! Good rainy day project.
But that doesn't answer the PVC pipe question.
Guess I can just keep buying my 2.5 gallon spring water jugs.

Bruce Ross

Edited by - Voyager on 08/22/2015 09:16:32
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 08/26/2015 :  18:12:56  Show Profile
P/S just did a 2 part series on water filtration, both filling the tank and drinking.

Dave B. aboard Pearl
1982 TR/SK/Trad. #3399
Lake Erie/Florida Panhandle
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/30/2015 :  06:00:59  Show Profile
Nice! Any major headlines about drinking water systems? I used to subscribe but they got funky with my credit card...

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 08/30/2015 :  06:07:41  Show Profile
What I'm doing now is using a pitcher-style thing at home and filling several 2 liter bottles for drinking water. It tastes just about the same as spring water so that should do it without having to bring the pitcher on board. I find on busy weekends we drink 3-4 Liters in coffee, water or mixing. The bottles fit right in the cooler with space for ice so they'll keep cold all day.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page