Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 na
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

joeblow

Member Avatar

USA
33 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/05/2015 :  17:29:00  Show Profile
na

Edited by - joeblow on 04/02/2016 11:27:31

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 05/05/2015 :  18:14:04  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by joeblow

If you had your boat dry on the trailer and you knew everything was dry under the cabin floor and your ballast tanks dry and empty, why couldn't you run a test on the trailer by filling up the water ballast tanks and close the drain. This way you could check for potential leaks around or under the cabin floor and in all compartments?

Anyone anyone ????

You could but why not kill two birds with one stone?

Fill the hull with water and you can test to see if water gets into the water tank and also see if your hull has a leak!

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

joeblow

Members Avatar

USA
33 Posts

Response Posted - 05/05/2015 :  18:25:58  Show Profile
I'm only trying to kill one bird at a time right now!

You could but why not kill two birds with one stone?

Fill the hull with water and you can test to see if water gets into the water tank and also see if your hull has a leak!
[/quote]

Joe Ake
1995 C250 WB #24
1988 Capri 18 #320
Indianapolis, In
Slipped at Michigan City, IN

"Never let your fears determine your fate"
Go to Top of Page

joeblow

Members Avatar

USA
33 Posts

Response Posted - 05/05/2015 :  18:36:27  Show Profile
Oh, sorry I see. Run water on top of tanks, and close valve.

Joe Ake
1995 C250 WB #24
1988 Capri 18 #320
Indianapolis, In

Go to Top of Page

dubedoo
1st Mate

Members Avatar

68 Posts

Response Posted - 05/06/2015 :  07:27:40  Show Profile
Joe, re. filling the wb tank with boat on the trailer on the dry: a person would need to draw their own conclusions about the following but early on I was advised by Catalina to be sure and open the valve for the wb tank before pulling the boat (with wb tank full) back out of the water. This conversation came up in a discussion regarding needing to make some adjustments to the trailer bunks (factory setup) to better fit the boat but I took it as general advice with the intent being to immediately start removing the weight and pressure of that 1200# from the hull when the boat comes out of the water.

Steve
C250 wb #702
Go to Top of Page

joeblow

Members Avatar

USA
33 Posts

Response Posted - 05/06/2015 :  08:38:40  Show Profile
Steve, my thoughts also. Maybe not to smart!!

Joe Ake
1995 C250 WB #24
1988 Capri 18 #320
Indianapolis, In

Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 05/06/2015 :  11:30:35  Show Profile
Would you mind reducing the size of your picture? Seeing the same large picture 4 times on the same page is annoying.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)
Go to Top of Page

zeil
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1297 Posts

Response Posted - 05/06/2015 :  15:03:00  Show Profile
Joe, I may be mistaken but judging from your great photo it seems that you are riding high in the water. Are you sure the tank is totally filled, did you just launch the boat or blow the tank in anticipation of hauling it out? BTW nice clean looking boat with your Micron CSC "shark white", ablative anti-fouling paint?
PS If you need assistance with reducing your photo, Paul Alcock our very likable web editor, would be able to help you I'm sure

Henk & Johanna
"Floating", a few off your "barnacles".
"Someday Lady" '95 C250WB #151 ('03 - 2016)
"Sea ya" 30ft Bayliner (04-2018 - 09-2018)
"Mariah" '96 C250WB #191 (05-2019 - 15-05-2023)
"Lady J" '00 C250WK #499 (05-2021 - 09-2022)

Edited by - zeil on 05/06/2015 15:37:19
Go to Top of Page

joeblow

Members Avatar

USA
33 Posts

Response Posted - 05/06/2015 :  19:45:06  Show Profile
The photo is from 2 years ago.

The funny thing about this boat, its alway collected puddles of water on the cabin floor but how and when they come is never consistent! Just this last Saturday i followed the standard launch procedures just like the book says to do. Sailed all day 12pm to 7pm 7-8 kts wind no water on floor, docked the boat went to eat came back after 90 min went for a evening sail 8pm no water to this point DRY Floor. had 4 people 9pm just motored around lake no water, Docked for the night 11pm dry floor. Lake was glass all night got up to go to the head and stepped into a puddle of water at about 3am. errrrrrrr!!!!!

Joe Ake
1995 C250 WB #24
1988 Capri 18 #320
Indianapolis, In

Go to Top of Page

Ape-X
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
662 Posts

Response Posted - 05/07/2015 :  03:26:01  Show Profile
with more people on board, could it be boat sitting lower in water, presumably where the leak is?

s/v No Worries, O'Day 28
PO Moe'Uhane - C25 SR/FK #1746
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3368 Posts

Response Posted - 05/07/2015 :  08:34:36  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
I am not familiar with the Cat 250 and it's hull openings but offer the following:

I noticed a possibility for water to be taken in when having addl passengers onboard in that the bilge hose connector thru the transom is not that much above the waterline and depending on the number of passengers, that hull opening can allow water to enter. The bilge hose is attached and is routed to the bilge pump higher than where it drains out the transom and so no leakage should ever be experienced. However, if your bilge overboard is configured similar to the Cat 25s and if your hose is not securely attached, that could be a potential water entry point.

Here is a weird way to check for leaks in general. I read about it somewhere but I do not know of anyone that has ever tried it. It would be most effective for a boat out of the water but could also be tried while waterborne. It involves sealing off with plastic wrap and duct tape all known vents/openings on the boat (ie. vent fans, etc), then somehow connecting the discharge from a vacuum cleaner or leaf blower with plastic wrap/duct tape to seal area you connect it to blow air into the cabin. Then you use a water hose or in combination with washing the boat with soap (soap bubbles) over the entire boat and see where air is escaping by evidence of bubbles forming. I read about this somewhere as a technique that can be used but not aware of anyone that has tried it or had success with it.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html
Go to Top of Page

joeblow

Members Avatar

USA
33 Posts

Response Posted - 05/07/2015 :  11:29:44  Show Profile
same with 2 or 6

Thanks though...

quote:
Originally posted by Ape-X

with more people on board, could it be boat sitting lower in water, presumably where the leak is?

Joe Ake
1995 C250 WB #24
1988 Capri 18 #320
Indianapolis, In

Go to Top of Page

joeblow

Members Avatar

USA
33 Posts

Response Posted - 05/07/2015 :  11:53:39  Show Profile
Good stuff Larry, I will be doing just about all the test I can come up with, plus whatever other sailors come up with as well. Whats so strange is at this time of year Lake Monroe Indiana is very clam. The water puddles up around the cabin keel box. I bottom painted it last spring and inspected that part under and up into keel box from under, nothing major looked bad. The 250 has an elevated cabin floor over the water tanks, not much say 3/4 maybe? I do have some stress cracks that follow the lines of the box outline. Just can't believe water can get up though them...if so ?? Hate to cut out the floor but maybe its coming to that

quote:
Originally posted by OLarryR

I am not familiar with the Cat 250 and it's hull openings but offer the following:

I noticed a possibility for water to be taken in when having addl passengers onboard in that the bilge hose connector thru the transom is not that much above the waterline and depending on the number of passengers, that hull opening can allow water to enter. The bilge hose is attached and is routed to the bilge pump higher than where it drains out the transom and so no leakage should ever be experienced. However, if your bilge overboard is configured similar to the Cat 25s and if your hose is not securely attached, that could be a potential water entry point.

Here is a weird way to check for leaks in general. I read about it somewhere but I do not know of anyone that has ever tried it. It would be most effective for a boat out of the water but could also be tried while waterborne. It involves sealing off with plastic wrap and duct tape all known vents/openings on the boat (ie. vent fans, etc), then somehow connecting the discharge from a vacuum cleaner or leaf blower with plastic wrap/duct tape to seal area you connect it to blow air into the cabin. Then you use a water hose or in combination with washing the boat with soap (soap bubbles) over the entire boat and see where air is escaping by evidence of bubbles forming. I read about this somewhere as a technique that can be used but not aware of anyone that has tried it or had success with it.

Joe Ake
1995 C250 WB #24
1988 Capri 18 #320
Indianapolis, In

Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 05/07/2015 :  20:41:19  Show Profile
If I remember correctly, others have posted that if the 250 doesn't sit at a certain angle (usually on a trailer) water will run into the boat from I believe the area of the front hatch (might have been the companion way?). Could it be the evening dew is running into the boat thru one of the hatches because the boat isn't sitting at the proper angle with people on board?

I'm sure others with more knowledge of the 250 will chime in.

Association Member

GaryB
Andiamo
'89 SR/WK #5862
Kemah,TX
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 05/07/2015 :  20:47:44  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by GaryB

If I remember correctly, others have posted that if the 250 doesn't sit at a certain angle (usually on a trailer) water will run into the boat from I believe the area of the front hatch (might have been the companion way?). Could it be the evening dew is running into the boat thru one of the hatches because the boat isn't sitting at the proper angle with people on board?

I'm sure others with more knowledge of the 250 will chime in.

Boat has to be almost perfectly level. If the bow is too high the front hatch leaks from around the aft side of the gutter.

If the bow is too low water runs forward on the companionway hatch and leaks into the galley. If OP was sleeping in the A-berth, it is possible that this caused water in the galley if there was a rain shower or heavy dew. The snap-on canvas cover does prevent this.

FWIW, the bilge pump through-hull is not on the transom - it's a couple inches below the rub rail on the port side. If that through-hull is underwater, you've got bigger problems than a leak!

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Edited by - TakeFive on 05/07/2015 20:49:49
Go to Top of Page

joeblow

Members Avatar

USA
33 Posts

Response Posted - 05/08/2015 :  10:58:25  Show Profile
I think that was Arlyn of R&R. I put his steering upgrade in my 250 it is awesome!!

Joe Ake
1995 C250 WB #24
1988 Capri 18 #320
Indianapolis, In

Edited by - joeblow on 05/08/2015 11:00:26
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 05/08/2015 :  12:23:59  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Any chance it could be coming in through the Rudder steering arm rubber boot?

On JD, the boot is normally above the waterline, but I can imagine if the boat were stern down the boot could be leaking.

The boot is not water proof, so I have a plastic tie wrap around the narrow part when it meets the steering arm that is attached to the rudder.

Paul

Joint Decision. (Sold)
PO C250WB 2005 Sail # 841.

Moved up to C34 Eximius

Updated August 2015
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 05/08/2015 :  12:42:51  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by britinusa

Any chance it could be coming in through the Rudder steering arm rubber boot?

On JD, the boot is normally above the waterline, but I can imagine if the boat were stern down the boot could be leaking.

The boot is not water proof, so I have a plastic tie wrap around the narrow part when it meets the steering arm that is attached to the rudder.

Paul

Additionally, the creases at the corners are subject to wear and cracking. I've already replaced my rubber boot once. Best way to check is to go down below on a bright sunny day.

Realistically, though, I have a hard time imagining the stern being so low that the boot is underwater. That would be awfully low.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
Go to Top of Page

joeblow

Members Avatar

USA
33 Posts

Response Posted - 05/08/2015 :  12:53:13  Show Profile
New boot when Arlyn's mod was put in place.

Joe Ake
1995 C250 WB #24
1988 Capri 18 #320
Indianapolis, In

Go to Top of Page

zeil
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1297 Posts

Response Posted - 05/08/2015 :  14:25:10  Show Profile
Another way of water finding its way below is through or around the electrical plug-in mast-deck connection... some water could enter and collect between deck and cabin lining. When the boat is at a certain angle it could run down the compression post onto the cabin floor. It is easy to check in between the layers for any dampness by removing the starboard cabin light.

Henk & Johanna
"Floating", a few off your "barnacles".
"Someday Lady" '95 C250WB #151 ('03 - 2016)
"Sea ya" 30ft Bayliner (04-2018 - 09-2018)
"Mariah" '96 C250WB #191 (05-2019 - 15-05-2023)
"Lady J" '00 C250WK #499 (05-2021 - 09-2022)

Edited by - zeil on 05/08/2015 14:33:10
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 05/08/2015 :  14:55:06  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by zeil

Another way of water finding its way below is through or around the electrical plug-in mast-deck connection... some water could enter and collect between deck and cabin lining. When the boat is at a certain angle it could run down the compression post onto the cabin floor. It is easy to check in between the layers for any dampness by removing the starboard cabin light.

Good point. When we were shopping we looked at 6 C250s, and EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM had moisture around the starboard cabin light. Mine doesn't any more.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
Go to Top of Page

joeblow

Members Avatar

USA
33 Posts

Response Posted - 05/09/2015 :  13:41:41  Show Profile
Good one I will ck on that!

quote:
Originally posted by zeil

Joe Ake
1995 C250 WB #24
1988 Capri 18 #320
Indianapolis, In

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9014 Posts

Response Posted - 04/03/2016 :  08:50:59  Show Profile
Joe--why are you editing out your original questions? These discussions are often useful to people using Search to see what's here before they ask their question. Now there's no context for the rest of this discussion (and the other thread you did it to). Don't be ashamed of asking questions--we've all done it.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 04/03/2016 08:52:08
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page