Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Shelf and Electrical Panel
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DavidCrosby
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
229 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/03/2015 :  19:16:38  Show Profile  Visit DavidCrosby's Homepage
I have a long list of things that I would like to get done on my boat. I have made some headway this spring. I must confess though, I have my brother doing the big projects. He has found himself between jobs, so I have put him to work.

The first project was a bimini. I'll post pictures of the bimini at a later date.

Second project was to move my electrical panel and replace the existing upper galley shelf with a larger shelf.

The previous owner purchased and installed this very fancy 12V/110V panel. However, it was installed under the stove facing the settee area. The installation resulted in the loss of the storage area under the stove and sink due to a jumbo of wires. I now have my storage back. Cleaned up the wiring and resolved some issues. Today, the stove / propane solenoid was moved from the aft berth area into the panel and a small shelf was added near the companion way. My handheld VHF charging base has been permanently attached to the shelf and hard wired into the panel.

The stock shelf above the galley counter is quite small, so this has been enlarged. I have followed the lead of others that have posted to this forum. In the photo it is not yet finished, but is presentable, so I will show the photo.

Lots of other little projects going on. Again, many which were inspired by project postings of others.

David Crosby "Small World"
'02 C250 WK #614

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 05/03/2015 :  21:23:11  Show Profile
Nice job on the reinstall of the electrical panel!

When I looked at that boat for potential purchase (at Bolling Air Force Base in Feb. 2010, a few weeks before you bought it) that was the single biggest problem that I saw, and it bumped the boat into the #2 spot on my list. I would have bought it if my purchase of Hull #348 (the boat I currently have) had fallen through, but it was my second choice because of the electric panel.

Bill S, the previous owner, told me he had a professional marine electrician install new the panel, but I thought it was a total hack job, with exposed splices all over the place. And the location of the panel was just awful. Overall, just a terrible job. I'm glad you cleaned it up.

I'm still impressed that you went all that distance to buy the boat. I was fortunate that the boat I bought was only 20 miles up the Delaware River from my home. Easy delivery.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)
Go to Top of Page

mdidomenico
1st Mate

Members Avatar

71 Posts

Response Posted - 05/08/2015 :  16:30:08  Show Profile
Your panel looks real nice. I am about to undertake a simliar process with mine. Do you have any pictures of the how you constructed the box and how specifically you mounted it to the bulkheads?

i still have the old catalina panel in mine just above the countertop in the factory location, but i want to put in a larger bluesea panel up against the bulkhead like yours with a few more circuits.

but i can't figure how best to attach everything. the bulkhead in that location (at least on mine) isn't very thick so i wasn't sure i could get good bite with anything
Go to Top of Page

DavidCrosby
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
229 Posts

Response Posted - 05/08/2015 :  18:31:14  Show Profile  Visit DavidCrosby's Homepage
Unfortunately, there are not any photos of the build process. However, I do have one more photo that may be of value.

• The front of the panel is 1/4 inch plywood.
• The bottom of the front panel has a 3/4 inch square piece of wood glued and screwed to the plywood.
• The side near the companion way is 3/4 inch solid lumber. The distance between the front of the panel and bulkhead is a bit less than three inches.
• The front of the panel is glued and screwed to the side panel.
• The bottom of the panel is 1/4 inch plywood that is glued and screwed to the front and side.
• All edges have been rounded over with a router.
• The plywood is given a finished look by overlaying with foam and a white vinyl fabric.
• See the photo included in this post. The back vertical filler is attached to the bottom panel via a 3/4 inch square piece of wood that is glued and screwed to the bottom plywood panel. As well as on top, a piece of aluminum angle has been screwed to the overhead. The back panel is then screwed to that.
• The panel near the companionway is screwed into the fiberglass in three places via pocket screws in the side board.
• The panel on the outboard side near the port hole is screwed in three places. The lower screw is directly into the fiberglass protrusion of the area that the factory power panel is mounted at. To have a solid attachment point for the middle and top screw a piece of one inch flat aluminum stock was shaped to provide a mounting point for the panel and these are screwed directly to the fiberglass protrusion area of the factory original power panel.
• You may have noticed two additional screw heads in the front face over by the window. The factory installed round light in the overhead had to be moved. It originally went into the lower outboard corner of the front panel. Once the expanded shelf was put in, the light was moved again. So, those two screws hide the screw holes that were put in the fabric.

You are correct that the fiberglass is not very thick, however there is enough meat to attach this panel via screws.

'02 C250 WK #614
Go to Top of Page

mdidomenico
1st Mate

Members Avatar

71 Posts

Response Posted - 05/09/2015 :  06:14:26  Show Profile
Thanks that helps a lot. If I understand correctly, basically the panel is being held in by a piece of aluminium bolted to the coach roof and some plywood held in underneath just ahead of the little access port.
Go to Top of Page

DavidCrosby
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
229 Posts

Response Posted - 05/09/2015 :  19:55:03  Show Profile  Visit DavidCrosby's Homepage
Not quite. Maybe these two photos will help to explain the attachment points.

'02 C250 WK #614

Edited by - DavidCrosby on 05/09/2015 20:09:47
Go to Top of Page

DavidCrosby
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
229 Posts

Response Posted - 05/09/2015 :  20:18:23  Show Profile  Visit DavidCrosby's Homepage
My brother just sent me these reference drawings. These are just for reference. They are not to size or the exact shape. If this photo proves to difficult to read, I can email a PDF.

'02 C250 WK #614

Edited by - DavidCrosby on 05/09/2015 20:24:33
Go to Top of Page

DavidCrosby
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
229 Posts

Response Posted - 05/09/2015 :  20:33:36  Show Profile  Visit DavidCrosby's Homepage

Today, we installed another shelf and a microwave. Note: the microwave is screwed to the shelf to keep it from getting launched across the cabin when heeled.

'02 C250 WK #614
Go to Top of Page

mdidomenico
1st Mate

Members Avatar

71 Posts

Response Posted - 05/10/2015 :  04:50:41  Show Profile
Thanks. Now it's more clear.
Go to Top of Page

zeil
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1297 Posts

Response Posted - 05/10/2015 :  08:10:46  Show Profile

Starting to look like sisters

Henk & Johanna
"Floating", a few off your "barnacles".
"Someday Lady" '95 C250WB #151 ('03 - 2016)
"Sea ya" 30ft Bayliner (04-2018 - 09-2018)
"Mariah" '96 C250WB #191 (05-2019 - 15-05-2023)
"Lady J" '00 C250WK #499 (05-2021 - 09-2022)
Go to Top of Page

DavidCrosby
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
229 Posts

Response Posted - 05/11/2015 :  07:05:35  Show Profile  Visit DavidCrosby's Homepage
Henk, What can I say. You are an inspiration. I am looking forward to when I get to spend a year on my boat. I have my sights on the Great Loop, but that is still several years out.

'02 C250 WK #614
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page