Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Honda 8 and 9.9 spark plugs
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/19/2015 :  10:30:11  Show Profile
Was just looking for the right spark plug for my Honda 8 outboard. I see that Honda's original equipment is a 10mm thread unit. I have found an automtive replacement for the oil filter (works great), I wonder whether I can pick up an equivalent auto spark plug? According to the lit, seems like its a "resistor-type" plug. If I get a standard plug, it could run too hot.... The manual says it should be either one of the following:
CR5EH-9 (NGK)
U16FER9 (DENSO)
and adds that using the wrong spark plug can cause engine damage!!!!

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 04/19/2015 10:34:22

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/19/2015 :  10:36:47  Show Profile
The six plugs for my slightly larger Honda outboard are $25 each!

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 04/19/2015 :  12:24:04  Show Profile
You can try an automotive store that sells NGK but they may not stock it because it might not be used in any cars. This happened to me when I went to get a fresh pair for my 9.9. I ended up going to WM.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 04/19/2015 :  14:46:46  Show Profile
NGK should be fine. Follow your manual, especially if the motor is still under warranty.

DavidP
1975 C-22 SK #5459 "Shadowfax" Fleet 52
PO of 1984 C-25 SK/TR #4142 "Recess"
Percy Priest Yacht Club, Hamilton Creek Marina, Nashville, TN
Go to Top of Page

Kim Luckner
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
96 Posts

Response Posted - 04/19/2015 :  15:31:27  Show Profile
Amazon shows this info when searched for CR5EH-9

This item: NGK (6689) CR5EH-9 Standard Spark Plug

This link shows http://www.autozone.com/external-engine/spark-plug/ngk-standard-copper-spark-plug/937516_0_0/ lists $6;49 as the price.

Amazon has the Densco PN for $6.50.

Seeadler
'79 C25 SR/FK #1432
Mentor Lagoons
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 04/19/2015 :  15:59:12  Show Profile
Ah, Auto Zone! I checked my local store - not in stock. I went with Amazon, I've got free shipping with Amazon Prime. They'll be here Tuesday

Bruce Ross

Edited by - Voyager on 04/19/2015 16:11:21
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 04/19/2015 :  19:24:43  Show Profile
Since nobody else mentioned it, I will: You could pay a visit to your local Honda Marine dealer and get the right spark plugs. Might cost you an extra couple bucks a plug, but it will help keep him in business to be there for you if you need him in the future.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)
Go to Top of Page

awetmore
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1144 Posts

Response Posted - 04/19/2015 :  20:56:10  Show Profile
I agree with TakeFive.

My (early 90s) Honda 2hp takes spark plugs that no one else imports besides Honda Marine. I looked all over the place trying to find them elsewhere. Finally I went to a Honda Marine dealer and they sold me two for $5.

Alex W
Seattle, WA
Express 37 "re-Quest"
previously owned 1984 Catalina 25 "Lutra"
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 04/21/2015 :  16:55:31  Show Profile
I usually go to an authorized Honda parts dealer in Bridgeport's Black Rock neighborhood. I got my voltage regulator there, a carburetor rebuild kit, the impeller, the heat jacket, O-rings and several other odds and ends.

I checked with them on Saturday and they quoted me 7-10 days (they would not explain why)... That's kind of what got me going on this thread.

Then I checked on Boats.net, checked with my local AutoZone store and then saw them on Amazon for about $6.50 each. They'll be here tomorrow and I'm planning to splash this weekend, so I did not want to chance it.

I agree, go with your local independent vendors - they are an endangered species. But -- puh-leeze -- don't blow smoke up my butt! I felt like they could have provided me with a little better service, or at least an explanation.

<end of rant >

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 04/21/2015 :  19:04:01  Show Profile
Last time I went to get new spark plugs from my local Honda dealer, they asked how old my current plugs were. "I bought them from you last year." He told me typical lifetime is 3-5 years, and more for auxiliary power on a sailboat. So he saved me a lot of money. That's what I call the best possible service - he puts my interest ahead of his profit.

A couple years ago I dropped the lower unit to replace the impeller. The shift rod linkage was seized and broke, so I had to take the motor in to get it fixed. He told me it could be 2 weeks to get the parts, and I was afraid I'd have to delay my splash. Three days later he called and it was done. And the price he charged me was about what I would have had to pay to have him install the impeller, so I didn't pay a penalty for a failed DIY attempt.

Some dealers are great, others not so much. I try to give this guy as much of my business as I can. Just bought a Honda fuel filter from him today - like I do every year. I won't even check an online price for comparison because I want him to have the business. Two years ago I needed a new fuel line, which I could have gotten from dozens of sources, but I bought a Johnson fuel line from him because I wanted to give him my business. Plus, I was able to inspect it ahead of time and confirm that it was fiber reinforced, which I really wanted because of the catastrophic way my prior fuel line had broken. It was a big benefit being able to inspect it in the store.

I'm not meaning to lecture anybody - just pointing out the benefits of having a brick-and-mortar dealer nearby who provides great service.

In case anyone lives near me, I use Hilton Marine in the Elsmere section of Wilmington, DE. Great folks.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Edited by - TakeFive on 04/21/2015 19:08:48
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 04/22/2015 :  13:42:20  Show Profile
Now I need the tiniest part on the whole engine, but an important one. The 5mm x 1.5mm O rings that seal the oil drain plug and the bottom unit oil plugs (filler&drain). Without them, salt water can intrude into the gear case and ruin the bottom unit. I tried Teflon tape but no dice. There's a slight trickle of oil oozing out, and that's no good. They're $1.65 each! Cost more to drive to the store than the parts themselves. Can you just get an assortment of odds & ends O rings somewhere?

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 04/22/2015 :  13:54:18  Show Profile
My Honda has plastic washers, not O-rings.

Amazon has some good O-ring kits. Check this one and other similar items:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003Y88BPG

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/23/2015 :  06:38:05  Show Profile
The True Value 200 yards from my front door has every size O-ring, and you can buy one at a time--don't know the prices. Let's say it's $.75... $1.65? Come on, Bruce--I could probably find that under the driver's seat of my car. It's a boat--as in B.O.A.T.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 04/23/2015 06:38:22
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 04/23/2015 :  09:14:52  Show Profile
You sure its a rubber O-ring? Mine uses a nylon washer also.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 04/23/2015 09:36:49
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 04/23/2015 :  10:16:09  Show Profile
My prior comment about nylon washers was for lower unit only. I don't remember whether my crank case drain plug has a washer or O-ring (but I think it's washer also). It sounds like a PO might have made an unauthorized swap on at least some of the plugs. Your Honda dealer would probably know the answer to that one.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA

Edited by - TakeFive on 04/23/2015 10:17:21
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 04/23/2015 :  21:03:18  Show Profile
On the repair manual, exploded view of my model, year, shaft length, etc for the Honda outboard engine, the drawing clearly shows and lists a 5 mm x 1.5 mm O ring for the bottom unit. The oil drain plug also has one however I could not find it on the exploded view. I visited my local Sears Hardware store today and could not find the exact size O ring. I did find rubber washers that fit and have put them on this afternoon. Jury's still out on whether they'll prevent the oil leaking out or water seeping in. Worst comes to worst I'll visit my local Honda dealer and get the bolts and supplied O rings or washers.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 04/25/2015 :  17:49:53  Show Profile
Hmmmm . . . . . my Tohatsu is beginning to look better as parts are not such an issue . . . . .

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page