Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 A few questioins for this well seasoned group
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JanS48
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
141 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/04/2015 :  19:55:20  Show Profile
More newbie questions
C25 FK STD Rig

What is everyone using for a Solar battery charger?

I finally purchased a 'new-to-me' motor, it's a 15hp Merc long shaft with electric start - I was told it's the same weight and block as their 9.9 but with different cam timing etc for the extra ponies.
It came with a really nice Garelic transom mount which seems to have more 'thro' height than the original which brings up the real question what should I fill the holes with which were used for the original mount?

And another - I need to replace the port and starboard guides on the companion way - Are they available from anyone? price?
I could make them if I had to - the wood is teak correct?

thanks in advance
- Jan

82 C25 SR FK
Sailing out of Newport Harbor.

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 04/04/2015 :  20:19:32  Show Profile
Welcome Jan - good questions all!
Solar panels ought to be about 30-50W with a 7Amp regulator.
Definitely fill the holes from the old engine bracket. Should water inevitably find its way into your core it's only a matter of time before it'll rot out. Like rust, it never sleeps.
For the companionway guides, they should be teak to match your hatch boards. However some people have purchases Plast-teak. You should be able to find replacements new on Catalina Direct. On the swap meet seems like a guy is parting out his boat that was caught in a hailstorm. Might be something there ...

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/04/2015 :  20:37:26  Show Profile
More info: Year, rig and keel (for future questions). Put them in your profile "Signature" so they're on each of your posts, as you see with many of us.

My '85 (which Voyager now owns) has foam core in the transom, so rot is not an issue--just water migrating to the bilge. But the holes should be filled. To keep it simple, for small bolt holes, I'll suggest the caulk of your choice--I use Boatlife Life Caulk for most things. You can even sand it down after it's set up.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 04/04/2015 20:51:53
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 04/06/2015 :  10:12:50  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
The solar panel capacity is really a question of what loads you expect to use on a regular basis. I use relatively light loads and have 2 batteries that require charging. I have a 20 watt Kyocera rigid panel with a 20" x 14" footprint and it has worked well for me since 2005. The controller is probably overkill but I like the digital readout -Morningstar 15M Pro.

My loads are generally the fishfinder & starting the outboard about 4 times a week sailing. Then, perhaps 1 night of 2-3 hrs using the nav lights and that is not every week and then occasional use of the LED interior cabin lights maybe 1 evening per week. Sometimes use my mini boombox... ~ 2-3 times a month.

My 20 watt panel ideally puts out 1.2 AMPs but on the average for the best sun hours of the day, it puts out about .7 - .9 AMPs and less at the beginning and end of the best sun exposure hours of the day. Rcmd when sizing your panel, consider the loads you will be using and the average number of sun days per week and ~ 5-6 hrs per day of getting about 2/3 the rated amps of the panel.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html

Edited by - OLarryR on 04/06/2015 20:16:02
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 04/06/2015 :  11:05:36  Show Profile
Like the others have said, a solar panel will need to be sized to the expected usage. I installed an 80 watt panel on my boat for longer trips and weekends. I usually removed it when not on a trip. You can see it here:
http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=22843

To keep the batteries topped off I used this 5 watt panel that can be purchased at Walmart:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/5W-Solar-Panel-for-All-Weather/19801093

Davy J

2005 Gemini 105Mc
PO 1987 C25 #5509 SR/SK
Tampa Bay
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page