Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Gasolines Containing Alcohol
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

3474 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/28/2015 :  06:11:45  Show Profile
The is from my Operator's Guide for a 2012 Evinrude 4ph Outboard:

"The fuel system components on your Evinrude engine will withstand up to 10% alcohol content in the gasoline. But if the gasoline in your area contains either methanol ( methyl alcohol ) or ethanol methanol ( methyl alcohol ) or ethanol ( ethyl alcohol ), you should be aware of certain adverse effects that can occur. These adverse effects are more severe with methanol. Increasing the percentage of alcohol in the fuel can also worsen these adverse effects. Some of theses adverse effects are caused because the alcohol in the gasoline can absorb moisture from the air, resulting in a separation of the water/alcohol from the gasoline in the fuel tank.

These may cause increased: >corrosion of metal parts. >deterioration of rubber of plastic parts > fuel permeation through rubber fuel lines >starting and operating difficulties

If the use of gasoline containing alcohol is inevitable, or the presence of alcohol is suspected in the gasoline, it is recommended to add a filter that has water separating capability, and check the fuel system for leaks and mechanical parts for corrosion and abnormal wear more frequently.

And, in case of such abnormality is found, discontinue the use of such gasoline and contact our dealer immediately.

Damages resulting from the use of gasolines that contain alcohol are not covered under the limited warranty."

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
"Lee Key" '84 Catalina 25
Standard Rig / Fin Keel

Edited by - redeye on 03/28/2015 06:12:42

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 03/28/2015 :  08:56:07  Show Profile
So, What else is new...Honestly I haven't ever had a problem with ethanol 10% fuel but I use the boat often enough that It never gets old. The only filter I have is the little one on the engine and maybe one on the pick-up tube in the tank if there is one. I don't disconnect the fuel hose either. I suppose you could give the tank a shake before starting if you haven't used the engine for a few weeks just incase the gas has separated. I used the leftover gas that was in my tank (6gal) all winter in my snowblowers right up to last week so that gas was 6 months old. The blowers ran like champs and never let me down all winter.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Edited by - islander on 03/28/2015 09:01:53
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 03/28/2015 :  10:37:52  Show Profile
<< I haven't ever had a problem with ethanol 10% fuel >>

Interesting.. and good to know. Makes me feel a bit better about etoh. You'd think if the cars could handle it the new boat engines would also.

Oh.. and this engine has a little inline fuel filter in it.

We have a summer of 90% humidity here in the south, so that might be why some may have had problems. More water in the air on a summer night on the lake than in the tank.

Anyhoo.. just trying to go over everything with a new engine.. I guess I've just about read everything, now I can shut up and just use the thing... THanks for all the input.

I hope that gave yall something else to think about while you're snowed in...

Ray in Atlanta, Ga.
"Lee Key" '84 Catalina 25
Standard Rig / Fin Keel

Edited by - redeye on 03/28/2015 10:39:12
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9017 Posts

Response Posted - 03/28/2015 :  12:03:29  Show Profile
The good news is the mandate to increase the ETOH content to 15% apparently is coming down. Nonetheless, people with engines made before this millennium need to be concerned about seals and hoses in the fuel system. Older squeeze-bulbs are common problems. I added a Racor filter/separator to the line into my Honda 8--it seemed like worthwhile protection. (I also have one for my H-225, with a built-in 110-gallon tank that sits full, heavily stabilized, all winter and generally doesn't get fresh fuel until about July. So far it's doing fine.)

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page