Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 One-day sale on WestMarine paints
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

2269 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/06/2015 :  09:36:59  Show Profile
I thought you might be interested to know that Westmarine has a "Fantastic Friday" sale on their WM-branded paints today.

I've used Pettit Vivid the last 4 years, but want to change to a traditional ablative this year. I was thinking of Pettit Ultima SR-40, but Practical Sailor shows PCA Gold giving similar or better performance at the 20-month mark. So for $159 I think I'll give that a try this time.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5232 Posts

Response Posted - 03/08/2015 :  17:47:04  Show Profile
Rick
Wished I'd tuned in on Friday :( Thanks for the heads up.

I've been waiting for the paint sale since January and did not get a notification from West Marine - D@mn!!!!
I called today to see when the sale will be and the associate at the store said, "oops, sorry you missed it!" I was so P.O.ed!!!!!!!!! The best they could do was recommend that I go for (1) the Two-Fer/BoGo sale they are planning during the week of Mar 16, or (2) wait for the $40 off rebate - they give you a store coupon good for other stuff.
So I called a buddy who may also need some paint to go for the two-fer/bo-go sale, but he uses a different paint altogether so he was not interested. Doggone it!

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 03/08/2015 18:00:55
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9014 Posts

Response Posted - 03/08/2015 :  19:05:55  Show Profile
Bruce: Come over to Defender's Warehouse Sale--they haven't announced it yet, but I'm betting on March 26-29. I generally go on Thursday afternoon after the morning crush is subsiding (with people parking out on the highway). That's where I get the best deal on Pettit Hydrocoat SR (10% off their price). If you're interested, let's meet for lunch in Niantic--I might have a small contingent from Mystic... I won't be around on the weekend.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 03/08/2015 19:09:50
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5232 Posts

Response Posted - 03/09/2015 :  17:07:05  Show Profile
Dave - you have a date - Thursday the 26th. Around 12pm?

Bruce Ross

Edited by - Voyager on 03/09/2015 17:08:31
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9014 Posts

Response Posted - 03/09/2015 :  19:25:50  Show Profile
Bruce: How about Skipper's in Niantic (Main St. just west of the bridge), and then a trip up to Defender? (Do you like fried clams?)

Anybody else??

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 03/09/2015 19:26:41
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 03/10/2015 :  14:47:30  Show Profile
Dave -- I have used PCA Gold for years and it has worked fine at (on sale) half the price of Pettit.

Also, for the first time I can remember Defender is having a "spring" sale (now) only a few weeks before the Warehouse sale. While the discount is only 10% vs the 20+% during the warehouse sale if anyone is looking for an item with minimal inventory (ribs/engines) this may offer a shot to grab something before the Warehouse Sale depletes stock. Have also seen more "store" sales at West this winter than I can remember -- the weather in the Northeast must be impacting sales more than I would have thought.

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9014 Posts

Response Posted - 03/10/2015 :  19:50:49  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by bigelowp

Dave -- I have used PCA Gold for years and it has worked fine at (on sale) half the price of Pettit.

I've gotten it for less, too, but half?? I just really like working with the water-based Hydrocoat, which will be about $190 (probably minus a rebate) at Defender's warehouse sale (10% off everything, not 20%, but their prices are lower to start with). PCA Gold is currently $200, and might be found for ~$170 some time this spring.

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5232 Posts

Response Posted - 03/14/2015 :  12:38:32  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

Bruce: How about Skipper's in Niantic (Main St. just west of the bridge)

Dave - that sounds great - does Skippers offer fin-fish (scrod) as well?
I am really looking forward to it - at noon Thursday, 26th.

Bruce Ross

Edited by - Voyager on 03/14/2015 12:39:54
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5232 Posts

Response Posted - 03/28/2015 :  09:46:13  Show Profile
Dave -
Too bad job prospecting got in the way Thursday. How'd it go up at Defender? I called in my order but shipping would eat my price savings.
I was thinking about that fried seafood during my interview as the VP of Global Whatnot droned on and on about mindshare and gross margins;)

Turned out West*Marine provided me their ablative CPP paint at the local sail club discount, I got a twofer on the WM inflatable inshore lifejacket (I bought one two weeks ago at regular price and they gave me "price protection" second one free!) and a $19.95 boat brush with telescopic handle. I'm set!!! Spring's coming next weekend after today's snow so LETS GO SAILIN!

Now I've got my list of things to clean, fix, install, paint, replace and oh yeah - gotta drop the mast again, but thanks to Scott Islander's help last year it'll be a no brainer! I built an A frame out of 2x4s, bolts, hooks and pipe nipples.
But that's a whole different thread.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3993 Posts

Response Posted - 03/28/2015 :  10:05:45  Show Profile
quote:
oh yeah - gotta drop the mast again,

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9014 Posts

Response Posted - 03/28/2015 :  12:15:27  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Voyager

Dave -
Too bad job prospecting got in the way Thursday. How'd it go up at Defender? ...
Wild and crazy, as usual. We arrived after noon as the morning crush was dissipating (cars still parked out on the highway and along the road going in)--parked near the building with no problem. The check-out line was long, but moved at a slow walking pace with 20+ registers going at full speed. The volume they do over these four days is mind-blowing!

The fried whole-belly clams were great! (As they say, "Moderation in all things, including moderation! )

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 03/28/2015 12:16:30
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page