Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Removing Outboard from C-250wk on Trailer?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MartinChico
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
12 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/10/2015 :  05:35:58  Show Profile
Hello Everyone,

Our Honda 9.9HP outboard has been stored--hanging off the back of our C-250wk on a trailer--for about 4 1/2 years. I want to remove the outboard to have it inspected and serviced by my local Honda Marine dealer before we put the boat in the water again.

The outboard is the 25" shaft with electric start and power tilt, so it weighs about 120-130lbs, as I recall. My local shop won't service the outboard in place (as I've done on the past), so I have to pull it off the boat and haul it to the Honda Marine dealer in the back of my pickup.

My plan is to pull the truck up behind the boat, under the outboard. Then a helper and I will loosen the clamps and carefully lower the outboard (on the correct side) into the bed of the truck. Sounds easy enough, but I suspect it won't be.

Does this sound reasonable? Any sage advice or words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated.

2008 C-250wk #973 Bluebell
Whiskeytown Lake, California
(formerly of Lake Tahoe)

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 03/10/2015 :  07:34:06  Show Profile
I use the mainsheet tackle to assist the removal. I lash the block that attaches to the boom to the top of the perch seat railing (which overhangs the stern nicely), and lash the other block to the front handle on the outboard. The tackle does the majority of the heavy lifting with 4:1 purchase, leaving the helper to merely guide the outboard away from the transom so you don't scrape up the fiberglass. I have been able to do this single-handed, but a second person does make it easier.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)
Go to Top of Page

MartinChico
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
12 Posts

Response Posted - 03/10/2015 :  07:52:32  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by TakeFive

I use the mainsheet tackle to assist the removal. I lash the block that attaches to the boom to the top of the perch seat railing (which overhangs the stern nicely), and lash the other block to the front handle on the outboard. The tackle does the majority of the heavy lifting with 4:1 purchase, leaving the helper to merely guide the outboard away from the transom so you don't scrape up the fiberglass. I have been able to do this single-handed, but a second person does make it easier.

Thanks, Rick.

I'm going to have to go with brute force this time, but I'll take a look at my boat to see how your method will work next time.

Thanks again,
Martin

(formerly of Lake Tahoe)
Go to Top of Page

philagnes2003
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
68 Posts

Response Posted - 03/12/2015 :  18:21:41  Show Profile
To my surprise that's how the marina removes my Merc 9.9 at the end of the season, with a pickup while the boat is hanging from the hoist.

Mac's Bounty
2003 C250 WK #679
Orient Harbor, NY

If you think you can, or think you can't, pretty soon you find out your are right! H.F.
Go to Top of Page

MartinChico
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
12 Posts

Response Posted - 03/12/2015 :  18:34:00  Show Profile
I'm somewhat embarrassed to report that this process was absurdly easy--and I worried about it for no good reason.

The only trick was that I had to back up to get the open tailgate under the outboard while missing the rudder. My helper guided me as I backed up. Then we loosened the clamps, disconnected the padlock and electrical power line, and easily--really, really easily--lifted the outboard up an inch or two, then lowered it to rest on the tailgate. Then we re-positioned ourselves and lowered the outboard onto the proper side in the bed of the truck.

Really, this entire process took much less than 5 minutes.

Thanks for all the tips and advice!

(formerly of Lake Tahoe)
Go to Top of Page

Tahoe Cruiser
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
72 Posts

Response Posted - 05/05/2015 :  20:14:56  Show Profile
I usually dont have any help so I just take it off by myself, no truck just from the ground. Getting it back up is the hard part. I think my neighbors get a good kick out of watching me get it back up on the transom. It takes about three tries as the clamps always hang up on something.

1998 250 WK/TR #355 "Trail Break"
Lake Tahoe California
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 05/05/2015 :  20:16:45  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Tahoe Cruiser

I usually dont have any help so I just take it off by myself, no truck just from the ground. Getting it back up is the hard part. I think my neighbors get a good kick out of watching me get it back up on the transom. It takes about three tries as the clamps always hang up on something.

As I mentioned above, lashing the mainsheet tackle to the perch seat makes the lifting a piece of cake.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
PO of Take Five, 1998 Catalina 250WK #348 (relocated to Baltimore's Inner Harbor)
New owner of 2001 Catalina 34MkII #1535 Breakin' Away (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page