Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 New Mainsail
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 12/21/2014 :  12:23:53  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrine

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Milby

quote:
Originally posted by Peregrine

<font face="Comic Sans MS"><font size="2"><font color="navy">AS usual Milby is way off base and is pontificating on a subject where he has no knowledge.</font id="navy"></font id="size2"></font id="Comic Sans MS">

For those who don't know, I earned my degree of Juris Doctor (law) in 1968, and practiced law continuously until my retirement a few years ago. I specialized in trials and appeals, and in all aspects of administrative law, and taught dozens of seminars on administrative law to other lawyers, judges, legislators, and many other government officials from all across the United States. I was admitted to the practice of law at every level of the state and federal courts in the US, including the State and US Supreme Courts, and wrote many hundreds of briefs and legal memorandums at every level, including the US Supreme Court. I wrote hundreds of pages of laws, which were subsequently enacted, and not one word of any of my laws has ever been ruled invalid, including a law that was the first of it's kind anywhere in the US, and which received an award for innovation.

You're partially right, John. One of us doesn't know what he's talking about.

<font face="Comic Sans MS"><font size="2"><font color="navy">I don’t know what it’s like to sit at home with nothing to do but be “retired”.
Posts that make up unsubstantiated claims out of whole cloth are sad to see. Of all the things Mr. Milby claims to have accomplished it would be interesting to see why google can’t find any of them.

The fact is...
Mr. Milby was not privy to the officer’s discussions dealing with venders posting on the forum or venders that felt slighted by posts on the forum.
A policy paper (I wrote it) was published that we as officers are adhering to.
As I stated above the Officers dealt correctly with the issue and protected the members and the Association.

I hope your new sail lives up to your expectations.
</font id="navy"></font id="size2"></font id="Comic Sans MS">

First of all, what does any of this have to do with the original subject? Andbarger (18 total posts) started off this post <u>excited</u> to share his new purchase with the forum. After a simple question why the vendor's name was blanked out this post has gone down hill.

Why he would ever feel comfortable posting on this sit again is beyond me. If I was in his shoes my excitement would have been been trampled and replaced by stress.

I truly hope his new sail is all he hoped to would be when he purchased it.

Second, since we're already discussing this, were any of the members of this forum consulted about how they wanted to handle this issue with this vendor or was this done solely by the Officer's without any input from the members?

Third, first we're to some extent being censored in what we can say about a subject or vendor and on top of that if people don't agree with a statement that's made they are attacked. I'm sick of it!!!

Fourth, please cancel the remaining portion of my membership and refund the pro-rated amount!

Edited by - GaryB on 12/21/2014 12:47:40
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 12/21/2014 :  13:43:11  Show Profile
Please refund Gary's prorated fees, as he requests, but let me know the amount, and I'll pay it to keep him on the membership rolls. He has been a long time, participating member. Maybe he'll change his mind.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

capelyddol
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
62 Posts

Response Posted - 12/21/2014 :  15:59:22  Show Profile  Visit capelyddol's Homepage
When I joined this forum I made sure I subscribed to every topic. I didn't want to miss any help or advice, or ideas, that were available. Frankly, I can do without this one. It may be of interest to some members but it has now degenerated to a level that has nothing to do with sailing. If I wanted to read toxic comments about folks I could join a political forum.
I know it's winter. I know that for many of us our boats are out of commission for a few months, but do we have to sink to this level to relieve the boredom?
Lets get back to sailing talk, guys, and leave the personal crap to the politicians.
I, too, hope 'andbarger' has a great new mains'l and that it gives him lots of pleasure.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3368 Posts

Response Posted - 12/22/2014 :  04:29:44  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Gary B,

Please do not leave the forum and being a member, solely due to this one posting thread. Things have gotten way out of hand/blown out of proportion. First, I believe this is a one vendor issue and I do not believe we are all censored from expressing our opinion on all topics and all vendors. I recall back when this vendor was being discussed....there were countless negative postings .....all had their shots back then. There really is no new info for this negativity to continue. In fact, we have one data point of satisfaction with this vendor and no credit was duly given since the Board Members (and rightfully so) applied non-listing of the vendor's name for both negative and positive postings. But it seems that some are bent out of principle to continue this subject, when it probably should have died a long time ago. The Board members took action that they felt was best for the health of the association. Whether that was right or wrong, it is my opinion that those getting into a hissy fit over this really should just move on and possibly the only reason they have not is because they have run out of things to say or comment about our boats. It should be about our experiences regarding sailing, improvements we make, maintenance we perform, etc and for the most part...that is exactly what we do ...but things tend to get a little sparse during the winter months and especially around this holiday period.

Also, it really is not necessary for individuals to defend themselves or reinforce their positions over others by giving us a history of their credentials....I am sure we all could do the same. Rather, it is thru our postings that we build our so called reputations here as providing thoughtful advice, etc. Once the credentials roll out, it is generally perceived as a sign of weakness. It is kind of like at work when one tries to gain ground on one's position that they may do so by using loud voices. That usually does not work. It is only thru factual and thoughtful postings that we build our respect amongst us all.

For those that feel moving on to other subjects is caving in to this one vendor....really is all this banter solving anything. It really brings out the worst among some and it really is unfortunate since all that have commented have contributed so much worthwhile input for 99% of the posting threads that exist on this forum.

Gary B - I have always enjoyed your participation on this Board and I am sure others would say the same thing. I would consider you my friend and I am sure others would too.

Edited by - OLarryR on 12/22/2014 04:32:31
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 12/22/2014 :  07:30:03  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by OLarryR

[I]t really is not necessary for individuals to defend themselves or reinforce their positions over others by giving us a history of their credentials....I am sure we all could do the same. Rather, it is thru our postings that we build our so called reputations here as providing thoughtful advice, etc. Once the credentials roll out, it is generally perceived as a sign of weakness. It is kind of like at work when one tries to gain ground on one's position that they may do so by using loud voices. That usually does not work. It is only thru factual and thoughtful postings that we build our respect amongst us all.

Early in this discussion, Jan Briede asked: "Are there any lawyers among us on this forum that can give us some advice?" I didn't volunteer my "credentials" at that time. I simply offered a little basic "lawyer-like" information.

Then our Vice-Commodore said : "AS usual Milby is way off base and is pontificating on a subject where he has no knowledge."

You have a right to think I should have ignored his remark, and not defended myself, but you'd be wrong. If I hadn't replied to him, then he would have learned that all he had to do to shut me up is to make a similar remark. I don't allow anyone to portray me inaccurately as uninformed. If you don't want to hear my credentials, don't accuse me of being a know-nothing.

Accusations that are unanswered have a way of gaining acceptance and validity in the eyes of people who don't know better. I don't allow accusations to go unanswered. If anyone doesn't like that, they should take their complaint to the accuser, not to me. If I'm wrongly accused by the Vice Commodore or anyone else, I will defend myself.

If you think these discussions are unseemly on our forum, take your complaints to your Vice Commodore, who can't resist making offensive comments like these:

"I don’t know what it’s like to sit at home with nothing to do but be “retired”.

Posts that make up unsubstantiated claims out of whole cloth are sad to see. Of all the things Mr. Milby claims to have accomplished it would be interesting to see why google can’t find any of them."

"AS usual Milby is way off base and is pontificating on a subject where he has no knowledge."

Edited by - Steve Milby on 12/22/2014 07:42:18
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3368 Posts

Response Posted - 12/22/2014 :  09:35:27  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
okay

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

andbarger
Deckhand

Members Avatar

24 Posts

Response Posted - 12/23/2014 :  10:12:56  Show Profile
When I posted this topic I didn't think it would turn into this! I was just showing off my new sail, I can't wait to use it come April assuming the ice is gone by then! (you never know on Lake Erie)

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 12/23/2014 :  10:56:37  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
andbarger, we're looking forward to seeing your boat flying it's new sail too.

Long time since we have been up to Lake Erie - like 20 years! Tempus fugit

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

andbarger
Deckhand

Members Avatar

24 Posts

Response Posted - 12/23/2014 :  16:51:43  Show Profile
I will post some pics when it's hoisted this summer! I think everyone should come sail the Bass Islands on Lake Erie at least once. It may not super clear water, but it can be great sailing and we have Put-In-Bay. So if anyone out there is planing on coming up let me know!!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 12/23/2014 :  19:43:44  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by andbarger

I will post some pics when it's hoisted this summer! I think everyone should come sail the Bass Islands on Lake Erie at least once...
Done it! (...40+ years ago.)

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Peregrine
Admiral

Members Avatar

830 Posts

Response Posted - 12/24/2014 :  00:07:42  Show Profile  Visit Peregrine's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Milby

quote:
Originally posted by OLarryR

[I]t really is not necessary for individuals to defend themselves or reinforce their positions over others by giving us a history of their credentials....I am sure we all could do the same. Rather, it is thru our postings that we build our so called reputations here as providing thoughtful advice, etc. Once the credentials roll out, it is generally perceived as a sign of weakness. It is kind of like at work when one tries to gain ground on one's position that they may do so by using loud voices. That usually does not work. It is only thru factual and thoughtful postings that we build our respect amongst us all.

Early in this discussion, Jan Briede asked: "Are there any lawyers among us on this forum that can give us some advice?" I didn't volunteer my "credentials" at that time. I simply offered a little basic "lawyer-like" information.

Then our Vice-Commodore said : "AS usual Milby is way off base and is pontificating on a subject where he has no knowledge."

You have a right to think I should have ignored his remark, and not defended myself, but you'd be wrong. If I hadn't replied to him, then he would have learned that all he had to do to shut me up is to make a similar remark. I don't allow anyone to portray me inaccurately as uninformed. If you don't want to hear my credentials, don't accuse me of being a know-nothing.

Accusations that are unanswered have a way of gaining acceptance and validity in the eyes of people who don't know better. I don't allow accusations to go unanswered. If anyone doesn't like that, they should take their complaint to the accuser, not to me. If I'm wrongly accused by the Vice Commodore or anyone else, I will defend myself.

If you think these discussions are unseemly on our forum, take your complaints to your Vice Commodore, who can't resist making offensive comments like these:

"I don’t know what it’s like to sit at home with nothing to do but be “retired”.

Posts that make up unsubstantiated claims out of whole cloth are sad to see. Of all the things Mr. Milby claims to have accomplished it would be interesting to see why google can’t find any of them."

"AS usual Milby is way off base and is pontificating on a subject where he has no knowledge."

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sailboat
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
149 Posts

Response Posted - 12/25/2014 :  18:02:08  Show Profile
Wow. Merry Christmas all. I just want to know how andbarger's mains'l works.

Cheers,

Mike

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page