Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Faded Lens
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bigbeartr57
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
24 Posts

Initially Posted - 12/04/2014 :  19:54:06  Show Profile
The red lens on my flush mounted bow light has faded clear on my 1978 Catalina 25. A replacement from Catalina Direct would be way over $20 which isn't much, but its just a little lens. Anyone know a good trick to recolor it? I thought about coloring it with a sharpie but thought I should get a second opinion before diving in. Also, does anyone know of any more reasonably priced sources for "Catalina Direct" type parts or what brands might produce a matching lens? Thanks in advance!

Edited by - on

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9015 Posts

Response Posted - 12/04/2014 :  20:33:14  Show Profile
I don't think you'll find much for those "whale eye" lights, because they haven't been legal for new boats for several decades. CD could be your only hope, especially for this. Their prices might not be the lowest, but they're rarely a lot higher than others'.

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 12/04/2014 20:37:38
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 12/04/2014 :  23:08:15  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage
I seem to have an extra pair, and I expect to have another extra pair soon. I'd be happy to send you a red lens if what I have is the right size for you. Can you take some measurements? At least check the diameter where the actual lens portion meets the flat surrounding flange, as well as the outside diameter and thickness of the flange. Those three measurements should be all that's important. Meanwhile I'll check mine this weekend.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5234 Posts

Response Posted - 12/05/2014 :  19:00:00  Show Profile
Could always get some of the tail light fixit tape at the auto parts store. My old jeep had a cracked lens, replacement $ for the entire assembly exceed $250. The tape got me thru for quite awhile.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 12/07/2014 :  01:27:49  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage
Jerrid:

The lenses I have are apparently replacements for the "whale eye" nav lights; I don't know why the PO had these on board, but I don't need them (I'm in the process of adding a combo bow light on the pulpit rail, so even the ones currently in the hull are about to become obsolete for me).

The flange extends about 1/16" out beyond the side of the globe, and the overall diameter of the flange is about 1-1/2"; the flange is about 1/8" thick. The top of the globe is about 1-1/4" high when the unit is sitting flat on a tabletop. If this seems to fit your fixture you can have it.

Send me your address and I'll send it to you as soon as I can get to the Post Office.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Ape-X
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
662 Posts

Response Posted - 12/07/2014 :  05:07:23  Show Profile
Lee, I have a friend with a 69 Coronado: Uses the same lens. If you have a set in still good condition, I would buy from you to gift to him.

BigBear: The same friend uses nail polish in a pinch for some added color.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 12/07/2014 :  22:49:08  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage
Let's consider this:

Jerrid (...whenever you get this. I'll try sending you an email in case you just haven't been checking the forum): The USPS website says that their small flat rate boxes cost $5.95; if you'll send me your faded red lens I'll send you my good spare. You'll spend six bucks for one you can use and I'll get a faded one in return. I'll consider the six bucks I spend a little bit of relatively inexpensive good will for another member of this Cat25 forum community. Then...

Michael: When I get Jerrid's faded red lens I'll replace the one that's in my boat and send you that one plus the green spare I have. You can reimburse the six bucks it'll cost me to send them to you.

We'll all be out six dollars, but two of you will have good lenses and I'll have the satisfaction of helping two other Cat25* owners for a mere $6. Everybody's happy!

Deal?

On the other hand, if I don't hear back from Jerrid in a few days my two spares will be on their way to you, Michael. I got your email, so send me a postage address.

* edit: OK one Cat25 owner and one 25-feet-isn't-big-enough former Cat25 owner

Edited by - Lee Panza on 12/07/2014 22:53:56
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 12/07/2014 :  23:14:45  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage
Ouch! I just read Jerrid's post on the "25 Specific" forum about losing a shroud and his outboard going for a swim; he's got more pressing issues to deal with right now than a faded nav light lens!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 12/09/2014 :  19:47:49  Show Profile
Battery operated running lights, great as backups while you find replacement lenses/lights:
http://www.amazon.com/Light-Navigation-Marine-Zodiac-Zodiak/dp/B00C0SQPOA/ref=pd_sbs_sg_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=04G16BYDDVJQ79BBEPP5

Can be used on a bicycle, also. LOL

Edited by - dmpilc on 12/09/2014 19:48:28
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2014 :  05:59:38  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Stinkpotter

I don't think you'll find much for those "whale eye" lights, because they haven't been legal for new boats for several decades.

I did not know that. Why are they illegal? Do they have a dead zone for light?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 12/10/2014 :  06:05:34  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
found it

"Additionally, most of these flush mounted sidelights are installed below the vessel's rub rail. International Navigation Rules require that sidelights be installed above the uppermost continuous deck. Therefore this configuration would not be in compliance with International Navigation Rules. "

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Lee Panza
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
465 Posts

Response Posted - 12/17/2014 :  19:34:42  Show Profile  Visit Lee Panza's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Ape-X

Lee, I have a friend with a 69 Coronado: Uses the same lens. If you have a set in still good condition, I would buy from you to gift to him.

Michael;

I mailed them to you on Monday (was able to catch the local Post Office during a relative lull in the pre-Christmas action) so you should be getting them in a day or two more. Jerrid wrote me off-line that he was going to replace the entire fixtures.

Merry Christmas (and the same to your friend with the Coronado)

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Ape-X
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
662 Posts

Response Posted - 12/18/2014 :  04:08:55  Show Profile
Thanks much LEE! If the Coronado doesn't work out, I will pay forward to Bob at our marina who picked up a C25 swinger. They trailer up to Sault St Marie and sail the North Channel each year.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

bigbeartr57
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
24 Posts

Response Posted - 12/18/2014 :  20:32:45  Show Profile
Thanks for the responses and offers. Sorry, for the slow reply. I decided to bite the bullet and order from CD since there was some other stuff that I had to buy from them anyway, which mitigated their high shipping charges. I noticed the little o-ring/gasket around the lens was rotten also, so I thought I oughta get a new gasket with the new lenses also.

Got the package today. They are "Sea Dog Line" brand.
Part # 400181-1
$17 from CD, $5-6 from anywhere else. I think CD makes up their own Part # for all the wrong reasons...
Also, doesn't come with a new gasket, might be hitting the hardware store tomorrow to see if they have something suitable.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5234 Posts

Response Posted - 12/21/2014 :  16:42:36  Show Profile
butyl tape?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page