Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Stepping mast first time but.....
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kiko
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
69 Posts

Initially Posted - 11/06/2014 :  20:46:39  Show Profile  Visit kiko's Homepage
before I step the mast, what do I insert into the mast channel?

Probably more asking about the order of what slides in first.

I have a pop top kit, and a boomkicker slide bracket.

thanks in advance for advice.

Edited by - on

kiko
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
69 Posts

Response Posted - 11/06/2014 :  20:52:19  Show Profile  Visit kiko's Homepage
Guessing boomkicker bracket goes in first, then pop top bracket

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Ape-X
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
662 Posts

Response Posted - 11/07/2014 :  04:02:49  Show Profile
Boomkicker should be at the very bottom, while pop top will be higher once stepped. We also had a sliding boom, so the cleat for downhaul was between vang and pop top bracket.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9017 Posts

Response Posted - 11/07/2014 :  06:24:05  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by kiko

before I step the mast, what do I insert into the mast channel?

Nothing, it seems to me. All of those things can be inserted after the mast is up, so you can see how they should be arranged. You might also want to add a few "sail stops" (pictured on left below)--one below the boom to hold it above the other things when you drop the sail, another just below the slot opening to make sure the boom gooseneck isn't pulled up and out of the opening as you raise the sail, and another above the opening to keep the slugs from falling out (assuming your sail has slugs).

The cleat for the downhaul is positioned in the track far enough below the opening, and above the boomkicker, so that the downhaul can tension the sail after it is hoisted to the top.

Then, if you expect to reef your main, you should look into "mast gates" from Catalina Direct... but we can get into that later.

How are you stepping the mast?

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 11/07/2014 06:31:03
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5853 Posts

Response Posted - 11/07/2014 :  06:53:13  Show Profile
Some fittings won't fit into the mast slot after the mast is up. I bought one similar to #2350 in Dave's post, and it wouldn't fit into the slot, so I ground the sides off it with a bench grinder until it fit. It was aluminum, and easy to grind. I think it is unacceptable to have a fitting that you can only insert in the mast slot before the mast is raised. It's better to either buy a fitting that will work, or modify it. Then, if you ever want to change it, you can do it without lowering the mast.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

kiko
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
69 Posts

Response Posted - 11/07/2014 :  10:22:37  Show Profile  Visit kiko's Homepage
Thanks everyone.

Hey Dave, stepping mast via a gin pole.

I noticed you mentioned a downhaul cleat is positioned in the track. there's a cleat that fits in the slot??

Thanks Steve for mentioning that some of the sail stops will not fit into the upper slot in mast, that is what I gathered from readin how others did it.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 11/07/2014 :  12:27:03  Show Profile
FWIW, on our previous standard rig you could install sail stops thru the gate, but not on our current tall rig.

Edited by - OJ on 11/08/2014 04:24:30
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page