Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Another Fatal Boating Accident.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

britinusa
Web Editor

Member Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/14/2014 :  07:30:02  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Another Bloody Boat Crash Brings Biscayne Bay Death Count to Seven So Far in 2014

Last Thursday, we attended the Hilsboro Inlet Sailing Club meeting. We were asked if we were going to take our boat down to the Bay for Columbus day. Our response was a no. It is sad to say, but every major holiday (and Columbus day weekend is huge down in Miami) there is always a fatal boat accident involving a couple of power boats. This past weekend was no different.

1 Dead, 1 critically injured and 1 other in hospital.

Reports on the news were "One boat heading North another south. The 65' Boat hit the starboard side of the 27' Boat, 3 people on the 27' boat were thrown into the water."

The police on the water do a good job, but BudCoronSmirnoJackD all do a better job of removing any common sense from Skippers of power boats.

Wish us luck when we go sailing down there next week!

This one was close to [url="https://goo.gl/maps/7qrI8"]Biscayne Channel (this is a link to google maps)[/url]

[url="http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2014/10/another_bloody_boat_crash_brings_biscayne_bay_death_count_to_seven_so_far_i.php"]Here's one of the news articles[/url]

Paul

Edited by - on

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 10/14/2014 :  07:46:17  Show Profile
<< Wish us luck when we go sailing down there next week! >>

http://www.lakesidenews.com/laniers-danger-factor-not-increasing

Our lake is not any more or any less dangerous today than in 1999 and 1977... Tied for a record 19 deaths in a year.

Three Drowned this weekend.. very sad.. we see this desc a lot.
"One drowned when he fell off a sandbar and slipped into deep water while walking to an island " - Did not know how to swim. -

A few weeks back I watched 2 swimmers and one sup board person out on the water at night.. No lights. Not very bright.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cKf-6U0JL0

I kept thinking I would film a drive over...

Edited by - redeye on 10/14/2014 11:36:25
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 10/14/2014 :  12:51:07  Show Profile
I thought we had boats to worry about...

a 63 foot Sea Ray.... Wow..

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 10/15/2014 :  15:43:58  Show Profile
If only they could outlaw stupidity . . .

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/15/2014 :  18:19:11  Show Profile
Ugg! That story makes me the prey (27'), not the predator! As a "sailor" (with a USCG license), I definitely feel an extra responsibility when I'm running at 20+ knots, where there's no such thing as a "bump"!

When a sailboat hits something, it's a little like a parking lot fender-bender. If I hit someone at speed, it's like a highway tragedy, except it isn't on dry ground with help seconds or minutes away. In that regard, I consider most "certification" requirements, even in the states that have them, to be insufficient. Skippers have greater responsibilities to their passengers and everyone around them than too many of them appreciate. But I guess the same could be said about drunk drivers on our roads.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 10/17/2014 :  07:26:41  Show Profile
There are signs at our lake's launch ramps, or at least there used to be, that indicated the number of drownings on the lake. Virtually all were not wearing a life jacket.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/17/2014 :  08:05:45  Show Profile
PFDs are very important, and too rarely worn... But when a person gets sucked into a propeller (a frequent killer) or one boat goes over another, they might not be enough.

A frequent cause of drowning of sailors is the boom in an accidental jibe, putting an unconscious crew or skipper into the water with the boat running away. Having the required PFDs aboard in a lazarette doesn't do much good then. I know of two cases... both fatalities.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 10/17/2014 :  15:52:40  Show Profile
Which is why I wear a pfd whenever I race now. One guy last weekend was actually wearing a helmit, trying to raise awareness to boom-caused head injuries.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 10/22/2014 :  18:36:39  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by dmpilc

...One guy last weekend was actually wearing a helmit, trying to raise awareness to boom-caused head injuries.
I'm thinking another threat to heads, especially for the bow-crew, could be a thrashing jib clew--especially with a metal shackle for quick releases.

Another issue for C-25 helmsmen is decapitation by the mainsheet. (Maybe add a cervical collar...)

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 10/22/2014 19:05:33
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 10/23/2014 :  06:58:37  Show Profile
quote:
Another issue for C-25 helmsmen is decapitation by the mainsheet.

Yea... That could really ruin your day. I now wear a strap for my glasses after the first warning I got from the mainsheet while tacking.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page