Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Cleaning tow vehicle trailer lighting plug
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/12/2014 :  17:30:09  Show Profile
Even though the new-to-us tow vehicle has a factory tow package, it has zero evidence of ever having a hitch installed, not even a socket for trailer lights.

I did find the factory plug (that plugs into the back of a socket) zip tied near the spare tire. The truck spent the first 13 years of its life in a sandy/dusty environment - and the plug is thoroughly saturated with it.

I'm thinking I will use a can of aerosol electrical contact cleaner to flush out the sand/dust. Then coat the contacts with dielectric grease for assembly.

Thoughts? suggestions?

Edited by - OJ on 10/12/2014 17:39:22

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 10/12/2014 :  17:55:46  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
Is the cable assembly removable from the truck? The thought of dangling the dusty end in an ultrasound cleaner to get all the little bits & pieces loosened up came to mind. Then maybe go at it with some alcohol & Q-tips to clean out the grime, followed by a brass brush (like for a .22 caliber rifle?). Might have to get creative there depending on how large your holes are. [url="http://www.flitz.com/flitz-polish-paste/"]Flitz[/url] & some pipe cleaners or something. I know on my 4-plug connector I've had to do similar but not quite this extensive cleaning, but it got pretty corroded at one point.

Edited by - delliottg on 10/12/2014 17:58:29
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 10/12/2014 :  21:18:04  Show Profile
I would start with high pressure air for the grunge, aerosol contact cleaner and mop up with pipe cleaners. The next step would be a point file from the days when cars still had points, available at your local NAPA store, Then another blast of air to get most of the debris out, aerosol spray and pipe cleaners again, finish with a final shot of air and then dielectric grease. Buy a cap for the receptacle.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

shnool
Former Capri-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 10/13/2014 :  03:38:43  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
You won't like this response... but honestly even older trucks have modular harnesses... you should be able to get the entire harness that plugs into the main junction. It'd be worth it to not have to deal with wonky connections (or having to clean up the existing).

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 10/13/2014 :  07:12:02  Show Profile
My initial post above is the abbreviated version . . . so here goes.

I purchased a Hopkins 7 blade (socket) connector:

http://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Hopkins/HM40940.html

I assumed (incorrectly) that I would need to purchase some type of pigtail to go between the socket and the truck's harness. After three calls to the techs at Hopkins I finally understood (DOUBLE DUH!) what they were talking about. There is a length of wire and plug hard-wired into the truck's harness that plugs directly into the back of the new socket. I found it coiled and zip-tied to the frame near the spare. This is the item that is covered with sand/dust.

It now makes sense when the socket specs say it is compatible with various brands of vehicles.

Also, FWIW, here is the pigtail I use between the socket and the trailer:

http://www.hopkinstowingsolutions.com/products/adapters/7-way/flex-coil_hd_7_rv_blade_to_5-wire_flat.html

My trailer has a 5 pin flat connector - the 5th wire being for the disc brake solenoid (activated by the back-up lights). It is also compatible with four pin connectors.

Thanks for all the tips above. It's good to be thorough so you don't even have to (hopefully) think about stuff not working. Yeah, I even replaced the original metric, zinc plated mounting bolts with stainless.

Edited by - OJ on 10/13/2014 08:17:26
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 10/20/2014 :  17:20:08  Show Profile
Wow, turns out under all that dirt there was a cap over the end of the plug. Terminals were like new. Guess the cost accountants missed this item!

Plugged the factory plug into the OEM socket and voila, the lights on the trailer worked correctly!

Yep, applied a generous amount of dielectric grease.

Edited by - OJ on 10/20/2014 17:25:15
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 10/21/2014 :  05:54:31  Show Profile
I would have been surprised that the plug didn't have a cap. My pickup has a factory trailer plug harness zip tied under the bumper and it has a cap. I also stuffed it with diel. grease and re-capped it. An after market plug probably wouldn't have the cap unless he got the dedicated harness from a dealership.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page