Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Dragging for the Drone
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sweetcraft
Admiral

Member Avatar

USA
816 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/27/2014 :  05:53:37  Show Profile
Was watching a drone record the marina last Sunday when it dove in to do under water shots. As I watched and noted the spot the operator was using a magnet to try to recover camera I got the person to note my hand signals of a better location. This is when I found out he was using a magnet. Later when he came to the dock I heard the rest of the story of how the batteries died and it dove. Yes I suggested a diver or dragging for unit so now I'm making a drag with hooks as the local diver refused to do the 30' dive. Any suggestions? Saturday is to be the meeting to go back out and drag for the Drone. I volunteered so maybe I shouldn't have opened my mouth.

Edited by - on

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 08/27/2014 :  06:55:45  Show Profile
I was diving in my lake last weekend... Kinda surprised to hear 30 feet was a problem. Usually the thermocline in Lanier is around 40-45 feet.

Come to think of it that drone probably sinks slowly.. might be anywhere.

Might ask a local dive shop if anybody will go in for it.

Edited by - redeye on 08/27/2014 07:34:53
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 08/27/2014 :  07:24:02  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
[url="http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/06/tech/innovation/underwater-drones/"]Get one of these[/url]

Only $850

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 08/27/2014 :  07:42:39  Show Profile
Or this...

[url="http://www.cabelas.com/product/AQUA-VU-AV-MICRO-II-UNDERWATER-CAMERA/1660773.uts?productVariantId=3583383&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=35-245557538-2&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_m"]Underwater camera[/url]

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sweetcraft
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
816 Posts

Response Posted - 08/29/2014 :  15:16:29  Show Profile
It's ready for try. Drone pilot will be at lake in the morning for attempt. I think a fish net would be insurance near the surface. I think I'll suggest using an anchor with a long rode so that the position can be held. Have heard stories now of how far off items are found from where they entered the surface. Will share the results.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 09/02/2014 :  05:31:04  Show Profile
I don't want to sound insensitive to this guy's misfortune, but maybe a few more incidents like this might tamp down some of this drone mania. I have real issues with people operating these things in areas with people, vehicles, and other traffic. Somebody is going to get hurt or killed. It is just a matter of time before we read about a drone related fatality. Remember, you heard it here first.

Unfortunately, a fatal accident may be what it takes before people come to realize that there is a reason for the current FAA restrictions against drone use, and loosening them is a bad idea.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 09/02/2014 :  19:17:45  Show Profile
OT

Sorry, I have to say something about "drones".

In reality a drone is an unmanned aerial vehicle, so technically every R/C airplane or helicopter ever made could be considered a "drone"! Because of the recent wars and the news media using the word "drone" when talking about the wars the word has now taken on a sinister perception.

There is a lot of misconception about "drones/UAV's/quad-copters" thanks in large part to the news media sensationalizing anything negative to do with drones.

The only difference between a quad-copter and a R/C helicopter is they have 4 rotors. They do the same things helicopters do. R/C Helicopters can hover just like a quad-copter, they can carry cameras, they can fly over your backyard and invade your privacy. R/C helicopters have been around a long time and no one has had an issue with them but people have a problem with "drones" because they are new and the news media is having a field day sensationalizing anything negative that happens with them.

The biggest problem is there is a relatively small group of immature people/idiots out there doing exactly what Rick is saying and I agree with Rock's sentiment to a point. Flying quad-copters to high altitudes, near airports, over crowds, in downtown areas, etc... is not only wrong, it's dangerous and sooner or later someone IS going to get hurt or killed. In my opinion, the FAA needs to come down hard when they catch these guys just like they do for people shining lasers into aircraft cockpits.

Now for the other side, the part you never hear about are the thousands of other people that operate their quad-copters in places away from people, in sparsely populated places, and at altitudes below 400' which is the FAA height restriction that has been in place for R/C planes and helicopters for 20 to 30 years. They are taking beautiful aerial videos of places and things that an airplane or helicopter could never even get to and definitely at a huge price savings!

Everybody is screaming their privacy is going to be invaded and such. Those same people have no problem with their homes being on Google Earth, or Google collecting all types of information on all of their movements and activities through their cell phones and computers, or being on security cameras while in every store in every town in America, or on highway cameras everywhere.

They also never say a word about the airplanes, helicopters, and satellites flying at higher altitudes that Google or the government use to take the "HIGH RESOLUTION" photos used in Google Earth and other online mapping programs. These planes/helicopters/satelites use cameras that can get the close-up pictures of your backyard you see in Google Earth. Soon they will be able to see your face (see link below).

Now if someone is flying over peoples backyards at low altitude with a quad-copter mounted camera, then yes I have a problem with that and that should not be allowed! If someone is caught doing that a stiff fine should be imposed just like if someone is taking pictures over the fence or through a window.

In this day and age no one should expect privacy when they are outside of their homes and off their property!

One thing many people don't realize is that in a picture or video taken with a GoPro from 100 - 150' above the ground you can see people and if you know them you can identify them by their movements and mannerisms but if you didn't know them you could not easily identify them by their faces.

The FAA is behind the 8 ball on coming up with rules and regulations for quad-copters despite having something like 7 years to do so. They have a hard task ahead of them with the many different uses these things can be used for. There is a huge difference between a military or research drone VS a small quad-copter used for aerial photography or agricultural research. One rule or regulation should not be written to cover all types of craft.

For example, the aerial photography industry has tremendous potential for so many legitimate uses (real estate, agriculture, research, etc...). Almost all aerial photography could be done well below 400'.

Take some time to research the technology used in these quad-copters. It's amazing!

The technology is out there to build these drones so many of the current issues are resolved. DJI has technology in their drones now that will prevent them from taking off or flying above certain heights when near major airports. That same technology could be used to prevent a drone from flying above 400' anywhere. The same could be done to prevent drones from flying over downtown areas or sports arenas. They could program them so they could not be flown beyond a certain distance from the operator.

If the manufacturers are required to hard program their drones with the above flight envelope restrictions I'm sure they are going to raise their prices. Raise it enough and all of the weekend warrior/cowboys won't want to spend their money on them anymore. Combine the programmed flight restrictions mentioned above with a higher price and most of the current problems will disappear.

Don't punish the thousands of safe operators because of a few who refuse to operate with safety in mind. It's not the quad-copters that are creating the problems, it's the operators!

Rant over!

If this is out of line just let me know in a nice way and I will remove this post.

Check this out! This is what people should be afraid of!

[url="http://motherboard.vice.com/read/googles-satellites-could-soon-see-your-face-from-space"]Google's New Technology[/url]

Edited by - GaryB on 09/02/2014 19:42:55
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 09/02/2014 :  19:42:22  Show Profile
FWIW, my comments have NOTHING to do with any negative connotations about drones for military or spying purposes. My opinions are drawn solely from knowledge of the hazards of R/C aircraft, which as you know have been around for decades. And where do the R/C clubs operate? They do the responsible things by operating in remote areas away from people, buildings, and other obstacles.

I am all for regulations, limiting technology, and cost structures that would keep the idiots from doing stupid stuff with them. It's no different from the clowns on jet-skis - put the tools to do stupid stuff in someone's hands, and he'll start doing stupid stuff.

All the press that drones are getting is drawing too many curiosity seekers, and it will lead to a fatal accident in the not-too-distant future. You can just see it coming.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 09/02/2014 :  20:09:59  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by TakeFive

FWIW, my comments have NOTHING to do with any negative connotations about drones for military or spying purposes. My opinions are drawn solely from knowledge of the hazards of R/C aircraft, which as you know have been around for decades. And where do the R/C clubs operate? They do the responsible things by operating in remote areas away from people, buildings, and other obstacles.

I am all for regulations, limiting technology, and cost structures that would keep the idiots from doing stupid stuff with them. It's no different from the clowns on jet-skis - put the tools to do stupid stuff in someone's hands, and he'll start doing stupid stuff.

All the press that drones are getting is drawing too many curiosity seekers, and it will lead to a fatal accident in the not-too-distant future. You can just see it coming.

I wasn't trying to say your comments had anything to do with the Negative connotations of military or spy drones. I was just trying to point out that most people think of drones/UAV's/quad-copters as something sinister due to the way they have been portrayed in the news

I also wanted to point our that there IS a difference between military/spy drones and quad-copters.

If I came across the wrong way please accept my apologies.

I absolutely agree with all of your comments above! It's scary to know that it's going to happen and really not be able to do anything about it.

You may remember 6 or 8 months ago a young person was flying a R/C helicopter in the New York City area and was hit in the neck and face by the rotor blades. That person died from the injuries. He was very experienced but was performing some very, very extreme maneuvers with the copter at the time of the accident.

I own a quad-copter and do my best to operate it safely and away from anyone. I just wanted people to hear about the positive side of them instead of only the negative publicity they get.

I've already talked to my marina and they are interested in getting some video of the marina from the air. We're going to wait until the summer season is over and it would most likely be done during the week when the marina is mostly empty of people. If anyone is around we will attempt to get their permission before shooting the video. If that cannot be done we will wait to shoot the video until they are gone or do it in another part of the marina.

No matter what people think, the technology in these things is amazing and is worth reading about all on it's own.

Edited by - GaryB on 09/02/2014 20:14:09
Go to Top of Page

sweetcraft
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
816 Posts

Response Posted - 09/04/2014 :  03:08:41  Show Profile
New technology does open the door to discussion. The car first on the road, jet skis, airplanes and sailboats have and continue to have concerns for use of and safety for us. The input is good but no word about the drone on the bottom of the lake. I believe it is just a story now.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sweetcraft
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
816 Posts

Response Posted - 09/22/2014 :  20:56:12  Show Profile
Going down to the boat today found out I missed the news:
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10203350175809578&set=vb.1066518880&type=2&theater
Ive now heard a lot more stories of drones.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page