Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Adjustable height mast crutch
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/01/2014 :  07:42:23  Show Profile
While we have perfected a gin pole for our tall rig . . .

. . . we still haven't figured out an adjustable height mast crutch. Because the tall rig is 2' longer and has a thicker extrusion, it takes quite a bit of effort to raise. We still have to "walk" the mast up quite a ways before the 4:1 block and tackle can take over.

Has anyone here created a mast crutch that can be extended (upwards) while the mast is sitting on the crutch?

Edited by - OJ on 08/01/2014 08:15:08

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 08/01/2014 :  08:29:47  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
on our C250WB our mast crutch is two part. The outer tube is attached to the boat by a spare pair gudgeons, the inner tube can be raised about 2.5/3 feet. There are matching holes in the top of the outer tube and the inner tube.

Once all of the lines are checked with the mast sitting in the crutch in the lower position and the mast moved aft and bolted to the mast base plate. Then I pull the pin lift the inner crutch tube and the mast upward until the holes line up, put the pin back and we're ready to take the strain with the winch strap.

Does that help?

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

michael.j.wenger
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
45 Posts

Response Posted - 08/01/2014 :  08:36:28  Show Profile
I use a setup similar to britinusa, and it's workable for the TR.

Your gin pole design looks quite nice: any chance you could post some drawings and/or some additional pics, along with a description?

quote:
Originally posted by britinusa

on our C250WB our mast crutch is two part. The outer tube is attached to the boat by a spare pair gudgeons, the inner tube can be raised about 2.5/3 feet. There are matching holes in the top of the outer tube and the inner tube.

Once all of the lines are checked with the mast sitting in the crutch in the lower position and the mast moved aft and bolted to the mast base plate. Then I pull the pin lift the inner crutch tube and the mast upward until the holes line up, put the pin back and we're ready to take the strain with the winch strap.

Does that help?

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 08/01/2014 :  09:00:23  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by britinusa

Does that help?

Paul

Hi Paul and thanks. We are trying to come up with something where once we roll the mast back and run a pin through the tabernacle, the crutch would be raised using some mechanism . . . perhaps like a crank on a trailer jack. We're also looking to have the crutch raise vertically by about 6'. Yeah I know, that's a lot.

The ultimate goal is for two people to be able to raise the mast.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 08/01/2014 :  09:24:03  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by michael.j.wenger

Your gin pole design looks quite nice: any chance you could post some drawings and/or some additional pics, along with a description?

Thanks for the complement Michael. I chuckled when I saw word "drawings". Briefly, I created mock-ups using corrugated cardboard and a hot glue gun. Once I got that right I scribbled down the dimensions on a scrap piece of paper and gave them to my dock neighbor - who owns a machine shop - and also a C25.

I will post some pictures of the "shoe" with a tape measure showing the different dimensions - after we finish commissioning our boat for the 2014 season!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

shnool
Former Capri-25 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
1032 Posts

Response Posted - 08/01/2014 :  13:51:07  Show Profile  Visit shnool's Homepage
You mean like this?
http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/636_20/mastup-mast-stepper-with-38-pintles.cfm

You could use it as a template.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 08/01/2014 :  16:15:49  Show Profile
Another challenge the tall rig presents in conjunction with the crutch is the spreaders are just aft of the gudgeons when the mast is horizontal. Something else to keep from getting tangled.

Edited by - OJ on 08/01/2014 16:17:50
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 08/01/2014 :  17:18:14  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by OJ

Another challenge the tall rig presents in conjunction with the crutch is the spreaders are just aft of the gudgeons when the mast is horizontal. Something else to keep from getting tangled.

Mine is made of this material with only two sliding sections.

[url="http://www.sunrisesafetyservices.com/images/main/1335880721Square%20Tubular%20Posts.jpg"]Holy Tubing[/url]

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sweetcraft
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
816 Posts

Response Posted - 08/01/2014 :  21:48:33  Show Profile
That is a great piece of work. The forestay is a good pulling cable to use. The pole could be braced side to side which would help steady mast. Maybe lines attached also with forestay and lead back to points even with pivot of mast step. More power to lift could be made with a snatch block at the attach place of the forestay and the end of the pole. Extending the mast crutch loaded with the midpoint of the mast resting on it is a challenge. If the mast crutch is set at the height where it is still a comfortable lift to place the end of the top of the mast before rolling it back to secure the mast step should be ok. A safety line ready to secure the mast when verticle would aid changing over the forestay from the winch line and pole to the deck fitting, the jib halyard is a choice. The ideas here are just suggestions with safety in mind. The snatch block would almost double the effort which could make raising the mast crutch re considered. Do it safe.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 08/02/2014 :  05:53:23  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by sweetcraft

Do it safe.

I call it idiot proof

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 08/03/2014 :  21:56:16  Show Profile
I went with an electric winch from Harbor Freight. Push a button on a remote control.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page