Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Cabin heater
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/25/2014 :  17:38:00  Show Profile
For those who have a cabin heater - what are you using?

Edited by - on

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 07/25/2014 :  17:46:44  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by OJ

For those who have a cabin heater - what are you using?

Not sure what others do but this time of the year down here in the South I just turn off the A/C and take out the crib boards and let the heat in when I get too cold!

I use an electric heater with a ceramic core. Works really well. Even on the coldest nights I could keep the cabin around 80 if I wanted to.

Edited by - GaryB on 07/26/2014 03:25:58
Go to Top of Page

zeil
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1297 Posts

Response Posted - 07/25/2014 :  18:58:40  Show Profile

1) using a 6" clay flowerpot up-side-down on the propane stove

2) 4-6 utility candles to take the chill and dry out a little

in progress... working on venting the 6" clay pot via an 1" aluminum tube to outside via the hatch Have high hopes that

a) it will work

b) is practical

c) easy to store

d) is safe to use

e) will be durable

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 07/25/2014 :  20:15:17  Show Profile
I use a WM electric in the marina, a good sleeping bag on the hook. It usually doesn't get all that cold on the Fl. panhandle in the winter.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 07/25/2014 :  20:30:20  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
We use a [url="http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-F232000-Indoor-Safe-Portable/dp/B002G51BZU"]Mr. Heater portable buddy propane heater[/url].

It has auto-shutoff for tipping over, low oxygen, or pilot light failure which makes me feel better using it in the boat.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 07/26/2014 :  05:14:34  Show Profile
I use a small electric when on shore power and a Mr. Heater propane when not on shore power. Typically I do not light the propane heater until I wake up in the morning. It heats the boat up very quick. Been on boat with temperatures in the 30's in the AM.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jduck00
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
313 Posts

Response Posted - 07/26/2014 :  05:40:18  Show Profile
This one puts out a lot of heat but doesn't get hot enough to set anything on fire.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_5445-24099-675919_0__?productId=3555610&Ntt=ceramic+heater&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dceramic%2Bheater&facetInfo=

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sweetcraft
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
816 Posts

Response Posted - 07/29/2014 :  04:21:02  Show Profile
Used Princess 2 burner with flower pot, electic heater with shore power then found this in used boat store. Kerosene which I replaced with Colman catalic and it works. Lots of polishing and kept monoxide detector on board first cruise. Best heat for Northwest and it doesn't make moisture. Daughter said why didn't you do this long time ago. Price was right.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 07/30/2014 :  19:46:55  Show Profile
I use a heater very rarely, and only when I have shore power. I bought this one at Walmart:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pelonis-Fan-Forced-Heater-with-Thermostat/21804031

<ul><li>Low cost, since I use it so infrequently</li><li>Three user-selectable heat levels (I think it's 600, 900, and 1500 watt) allows me to use the minimum heat needed</li><li>High air volume keeps the surface temperature low. Its plastic case would melt if it didn't do this.</li><li>It has a thermostat</li><li>Dry heat</li></ul>

I NEVER use it unattended or sleeping.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 07/31/2014 :  04:50:50  Show Profile
Wife gave me this one for Christmas a few years ago when we still had the C25. Great cabin heater but does require shore power. It has an "anti-freeze" setting that is very useful, turns the heater on when the temp drops to 38 degrees. Used it in my C22 over the winter to keep any rain water leaking in from freezing. A bit pricey, but good to buy when on sale.
http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--portable-cabin-heater--7867500

Edited by - dmpilc on 07/31/2014 04:54:04
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 07/31/2014 :  12:58:16  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by sweetcraft

Jim, thanks for posting. I have always been a fan of Force 10. Apparently these are no longer manufactured . . . but there are used ones to be had. From what you can tell, are there many parts that would eventually wear out and need to be replaced? Are those parts generic enough that they could be sourced at most hardware stores?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sweetcraft
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
816 Posts

Response Posted - 08/01/2014 :  22:06:38  Show Profile
The Coleman small catalic fit up inside with out modification and did have to add a strap of stainless metal. Didn't do much metal work and it is secure. Tested by installing the CO2 alarm. Checked the moisture on the windows which was much less even on the rainey days we had before.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page