Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 triple deck organizer
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hewebb
Admiral

Member Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/30/2014 :  04:54:39  Show Profile
I have been re-doing and re-rigging all the lines on my boat a little at a time. Yesterday I went to install a triple deck organizer to run the cunningham to the cockpit. I was unable to get the triple organizer to mount where the double was. Catalina Direct indicated that there was a plate in the deck that the mounting screws were threaded into. Not so. They are thru bolted. If I installed it the inner line would run under the pop top front corner. A friend and I worked on several angles/ways to get it mounted but the combination of the location of the thru bolts and the pop top was always an issue. Hopefully CD will let me return the triple.

Edited by - on

Captmorgan
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
220 Posts

Response Posted - 06/30/2014 :  05:03:17  Show Profile
I saw a post on this with great photos did you search for one?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dasreboot
Admiral

Members Avatar

803 Posts

Response Posted - 06/30/2014 :  08:33:44  Show Profile  Visit dasreboot's Homepage
my old swinger had a triple on one side. i put it in at a pretty steep angle. current boat has quads. doubles that are double high.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 06/30/2014 :  14:45:59  Show Profile
It is easier to mount quads from Harken, you don't have to use all the sheaves.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Captmorgan
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
220 Posts

Response Posted - 06/30/2014 :  15:38:15  Show Profile
Frank I how do you get the blocks at the base of the mast to be at different heights so the are organized like yours. hard to see from the picture.
How do you know which to buy. I know you liked the Harken Quad but what did your use for the line/sheet clutches

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

ct95949
Captain

Members Avatar

Aruba
300 Posts

Response Posted - 06/30/2014 :  19:08:15  Show Profile
Don't return the triple, they work great. And don't bother trying to stagger the mast blocks, it all works out. Lay out your organizer with all the lines in the blocks, organizers and rope clutches. Get some tension on the lines so you can see the angles. Find the best spot on the deck and turn the organizer so the lines exit at equal angles. It all makes sense once you lay it out. Those are Harken organizers and Garhauer blocks. You will probably find as I did eventually that a double on each side is plenty. Go simple and go sailing!

Edited by - ct95949 on 06/30/2014 19:20:47
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9016 Posts

Response Posted - 06/30/2014 :  20:25:02  Show Profile
I suspect the position and bolts for the doubles won't be ideal for the triples. To run three lines back past the pop-top, the triple organizer might have to be angled more toward fore-and aft, so the lines run closer together going aft. I'd forget about the current bolt holes, drill what you need, and fill what you don't.

The stacked quads are also good--Frank's and Craig's blocks are shackled to the mast base plate as mine were, and the lead angle to the upper sheaves might be better than to the lowers, but they all should work fine. I had triples, and also a pop-top.

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 06/30/2014 20:29:30
Go to Top of Page

hewebb
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
761 Posts

Response Posted - 07/01/2014 :  02:53:34  Show Profile
Catalina Direct will let me return the triple. I did not want to have holes in the deck that were not used to change the angle to make it work. I have doubles I can stack and probably will. I did not do it originally because I thought I may trip over it due to the additional height. My problem is I crew on an older C22, without a pop top, that has a johnson bar with all the lines running to it that make things so handy when racing. I need to back off thinking I need that convenience on mine. I do not race the 25-unless there is another sail boat out there.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page