Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Internal Halyards + CD spreader brackets
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jduck00
Captain

Member Avatar

USA
313 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/19/2014 :  06:51:14  Show Profile
I'm swapping to rope halyards and I have the new CD spreader bracket kit. I've been looking at how I'm going to run everything inside the mast.

The CD kit has a compression sleeve for the lower bolt as well as a larger sleeve (1" Diameter) that goes between the spreader posts. The original setup didn't have the larger sleeve. I don't know if there is going to be enough room to get the ropes around all of that. In my mind, I can omit the larger sleeve and install the new brackets just like the old ones. Has anyone else run into this problem?

Jeremy Duck
The Lucky Duck
1980 SKSR Hull # 1850

Edited by - on

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 05/19/2014 :  15:22:47  Show Profile
Yes there is room. Halyards should not be any larger than 3/8" and many use 1/4". The point of the spreader upgrade is to add strength, do not compromise that goal.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

rrick
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
261 Posts

Response Posted - 05/20/2014 :  19:50:48  Show Profile
I took pains in passing three 5/16" and one 1/4" sized lines past the internal sleeve (main, jib, spinnaker, and topping lift). Each halyard, I formed a Ballantine coil and tied the working end to the 30' Harbor Freight fiberglass push rod. I made sure to align my threading for port starboard, forward aft, sheaves, landing the mainsail halyard on the Catalina Direct ball bearing upgraded sheave. A source of my pain was threading the mast head and steamer light wiring, of which has a foam chunk taped every 10" (eliminates wire slap). Patience and occupying 60' of the dock helps. Result is a free running, untangled, internal halyard.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page