Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 New catalina direct mast plate doesn't fit
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kiko
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
69 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/14/2014 :  21:31:49  Show Profile  Visit kiko's Homepage
Has any other Catalina 25 standard rig owners ran into this? Bought the mast plate from them and it doesn't fit my mast step.

In the pics, you'll see the two holes I traced with a thin marker are pretty close to existing holes in mast plate.

Perplexing, thanks!

1979 C-25 SR/SK/Dinette
14' Hobie Cat
Sunfish

Edited by - on

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3994 Posts

Response Posted - 05/15/2014 :  06:03:11  Show Profile
Your not alone here, Many have had the same problem that the holes don't line up. The fix is to drill new holes where you need them.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

awetmore
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1144 Posts

Response Posted - 05/15/2014 :  06:31:05  Show Profile
The instructions for the plate even say that Catalina did not use standard placement for the holes, so the plate will need to be modified to fit.

Drilling stainless steel isn't very easy. It is best to do it on a drill press or milling machine where you can use a low RPM, cobalt bit, lots of cutting fluid, and high pressure. If the drill bit spins on the stainless it will work harden the stainless and make it as hard as your drill bit (especially if the bit is HSS).

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TEM58
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
113 Posts

Response Posted - 05/15/2014 :  07:16:57  Show Profile
I installed the same step a couple of months ago, and also had to drill two holes to match. I used a drill press, but it can be done with a hand drill. Alex has the right process. How are you rebedding the hardware? There's a couple of viable options, but most recommed very strongly against using 5200.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9014 Posts

Response Posted - 05/15/2014 :  07:51:21  Show Profile
I had a local rigging shop drill two holes. My equipment wouldn't make a dent.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 05/15/2014 :  10:33:25  Show Profile
This is why we own Drill Presses. I bought mine direct from Garhauer with no holes.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

kiko
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
69 Posts

Response Posted - 05/15/2014 :  21:16:46  Show Profile  Visit kiko's Homepage
Thanks everyone for the advice, got the holes drilled by a machine shop today.

And yes, drill press may be what I need to ask for fathers day lol.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9014 Posts

Response Posted - 05/15/2014 :  21:36:53  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by kiko</i>
<br />...drill press may be what I need to ask for fathers day lol.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">...in case you buy another C-25?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

szymek
Navigator

Members Avatar

Canada
209 Posts

Response Posted - 05/17/2014 :  21:44:04  Show Profile
I think it it would be best that CD sold it without any holes. I was in the same situation - i had to drill my own holes.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

tomh
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
83 Posts

Response Posted - 05/19/2014 :  18:25:29  Show Profile
I also had to drill holes to make the plate fit. As it turned out, I wound up trashing it because it blocked the mast electrical cannon plug.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jduck00
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
313 Posts

Response Posted - 05/19/2014 :  19:02:52  Show Profile
I did the same thing Tom. I had to cut a corner out to clear the electrical connection. I ended up installing mine backwards and cutting on it as well as drilling new holes. A whole lot more work than I was counting on, but I'm glad to have it now.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Tomas Kruska
Admiral

Members Avatar

Czech Republic
522 Posts

Response Posted - 05/20/2014 :  01:34:38  Show Profile  Visit Tomas Kruska's Homepage
I had the same issue so drilled some more holes.
I've enhanced the mast plate by bending the forward lip a little upwards so it can be used for some additional blocks

[url="http://www.kruska.cz/C25_High_Anxiety/mast_raising_system/12082012044.jpg"]See my plate here.[/url]

Edited by - Tomas Kruska on 05/21/2014 00:03:33
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9014 Posts

Response Posted - 05/20/2014 :  07:15:02  Show Profile
Nice photo, Tom, but way too big for us laptop users. It makes the whole thread too wide to read.

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 05/20/2014 07:16:07
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 05/20/2014 :  09:05:39  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stinkpotter</i>
<br />Nice photo, Tom, but way too big for us laptop users. It makes the whole thread too wide to read.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Did you know that Members can post a pic that links to the big picture?

Like this:
<center>[url="https://www.catalina-capri-25s.net/cgi-local/MBR_system.cgi?VM+1000-2306"]
Click to View Full Sized Image[/url]
<b>Wet what a surprise.</b>
Just off Dock Street. The hotel shuttle dropped us off here each day. Couple of minutes walk to the show entrance.</center>

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 05/20/2014 :  16:10:49  Show Profile
Well I'm a little disappointed that CD has yet to correct this issue. This topic has been ongoing for some time.

I was fortunate to have a neighbor who owns a machine shop.

But, it does give us something to chat about I suppose . . .

Edited by - OJ on 05/20/2014 16:27:39
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 05/20/2014 :  18:43:39  Show Profile
This is not a correctable issue. CD normally carries the most current spec on a single item, my guess is this pattern is correct for late model C 25s. I also doubt the mast steps were drilled consistently from boat to boat.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Tomas Kruska
Admiral

Members Avatar

Czech Republic
522 Posts

Response Posted - 05/21/2014 :  00:05:07  Show Profile  Visit Tomas Kruska's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stinkpotter</i>
<br />Nice photo, Tom, but way too big for us laptop users. It makes the whole thread too wide to read.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I know, sorry. I've fixed it. Problem is that I don't have preview pictures on my server and I cannot upload them here since I'm not paid member.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page