Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Installing a transducer behind the keel?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Member Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/06/2014 :  16:05:04  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
My in-hull transducer failed last year, and I've been making do with a Humminbird fish finder shooting through the bow with OK results. However the cable is too short to be able to be routed properly so it's less than optimal.

I'm considering shooting through the hull directly below the cabin ladder in the compartment beneath the aft berth. Other than the obvious that the transducer isn't in the bow, and the wing keel will be blocking part of the signal is there any reason to not do this? I'm thinking if I mount the transducer closer to the stern to miss the wing keel that will mitigate that problem.

I also have a line on a Garmin GPSMap 198C that comes with a transducer, but don't know the length of the cable yet. It uses the same data cards as my 276C (which is starting to have behavioral problems), has a bigger screen, and I should be able to swap out the data cable leads to be able to drive both DSC & auto-pilot from the unit. I'm waiting to hear back from the CL ad, so I don't know if this is a viable replacement.

David
C-250 Mainsheet Editor

Sirius Lepak
1997 C-250 WK TR #271 --Seattle area Port Captain --

Edited by - on

frog0911
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1349 Posts

Response Posted - 04/07/2014 :  09:47:34  Show Profile
I have a Garmin 546s and mounted my transducer in that space in a waxed ring. It worked very well, but it is not the ideal location, since the keel has already made contact before you find out it is to shallow. I moved it into my other boat were I use it as a fishfinder, since I already have depth available from my Navman instruments.

Edited by - frog0911 on 04/07/2014 09:48:45
Go to Top of Page

Chief RA
Chief Technical Advisor

Members Avatar

USA
191 Posts

Response Posted - 04/15/2014 :  08:17:54  Show Profile
David: You should be able to extend that transducer cable or buy an extension. Just got home a couple weeks ago. Carole and I had a great trip for 3 months on Colorado river in Arizona. Caught lots of Largemouth bass, Channel cat and large perch. We each got a 19" Large mouth bass! Chief

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

ruachwrights
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
258 Posts

Response Posted - 04/15/2014 :  13:42:01  Show Profile  Visit ruachwrights's Homepage
I installed mine in that location. It works great while motoring not so well when heeled. Our sterns are rather flat.

Vern Wright
Hajime

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

CJRoxs
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
114 Posts

Response Posted - 04/18/2014 :  12:35:59  Show Profile
I have a Garmin Elite 5e. I installed the transducer below the companion way in the bilge opening. I haven't had a problem, works great even when heeled. I figure that by the time you see the depth is to shallow it won't matter if it is in front of the keel or behind. Your reaction time isn't quick enough to make a difference. Avoidance is the key. I won't go in anything under 10 feet without stopping and pulling the board up. Then I won't go in anything less then 3 feet.

Edited by - CJRoxs on 04/18/2014 12:37:48
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page