Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 What Is It?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RAG Sailor
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
144 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/21/2013 :  14:25:06  Show Profile
It's no secret that I am new to this website forum and am very appreciative of everyone's help. However, I know that I am not the only new member to the site nor to owning a C25. Going a step further, I imagine there are other new owners (of used C25's) who have been exploring their new vessels and finding modifications that can't be found in the owner's manual. I am proposing that we start an on-going topic of "What Is It?" and that we post pictures of what we find and all of you more experienced owners help us Newbies out. Let us know if we need it or get rid of it. This is for all you new C25 owners...post away.

I'll start with this one first. Yesterday I was doing the wiring under the quarter berth to eliminate that third battery I asked everyone about in a previous topic and came across this piece of equipment that was either stuck to (or through) the hull and the attached wire. What is it? Don't worry, I didn't yank on it.

Good to be back at sea!

Edited by - RAG Sailor on 10/23/2013 07:04:37

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 10/21/2013 :  14:45:19  Show Profile
The photos are a little small, but the left one looks like a transducer for a depth finder or fish finder. The other one, is it rectangular?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

RAG Sailor
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
144 Posts

Response Posted - 10/21/2013 :  14:57:26  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Davy J</i>
<br />The photos are a little small, but the left one looks like a transducer for a depth finder or fish finder. The other one, is it rectangular?

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

It's rectangular and it also has Velcro on it. The boat has a working depth finder on it. Since this one is not attached (you are seeing both ends)it's not the depth finder.

Edited by - RAG Sailor on 10/21/2013 14:58:58
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 10/21/2013 :  15:42:15  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">you are seeing both ends<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
So those are opposite ends of the same wire?

My boat has 2 transducers epoxied to the hull. One is a previous model that no longer works, the other, is the one I installed for my current GPS/chartplotter/depth.

Edited by - Davy J on 10/21/2013 15:44:22
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9017 Posts

Response Posted - 10/21/2013 :  19:10:31  Show Profile
It appears you copied the URLs for the thumbnails of the pictures in Shutterfly. If so, get to the pictures themselves, copy those URLs, edit ()your initial post, and paste them in place of what you have (or add another post with them).

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 10/21/2013 19:11:35
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5239 Posts

Response Posted - 10/22/2013 :  18:38:59  Show Profile
Dave, how did you suss out that he copied the thumbs? Just a good guess or is there a way to view the forum code? I reckon you can read the HTML but did not think the forum gives you that info.. ???

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9017 Posts

Response Posted - 10/22/2013 :  20:18:44  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Voyager</i>
<br />Dave, how did you suss out that he copied the thumbs? Just a good guess or is there a way to view the forum code? I reckon you can read the HTML but did not think the forum gives you that info.. ???
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Hit "Reply with quote", and you see the URLs, which in his case point to Shutterfly, which I also use. The rest is extrapolation.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 10/23/2013 :  04:02:26  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Of course, you could upload the images to your membership account [url="https://www.catalina-capri-25s.net/"]here[/url] and post them.

Just sayin!

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

RAG Sailor
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
144 Posts

Response Posted - 10/23/2013 :  07:05:27  Show Profile
I've re-posted the pictures. Have at it!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 10/23/2013 :  09:02:36  Show Profile
Looks to be a bilge water sensor.

Edited by - dlucier on 10/23/2013 09:05:52
Go to Top of Page

RAG Sailor
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
144 Posts

Response Posted - 10/23/2013 :  09:21:11  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dlucier</i>
<br />Looks to be a bilge water sensor.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Don, When I touched it, it kind of felt like it was glued to the surface. Normally a through the hull item has a much firmer feel. I was able to wiggle this, so I think you might be right, that this is an internal sensor and not a TTH sensor. The other item is the wire protruding from the sensor that is attached to nothing. It has Velcro on it. I wonder if there is a battery somewhere (either in the sensor or the end of the wire) and that square object is the "alarm" piece that notifies if there is water in the bilge.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page