Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Asym Spin & Jib
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

britinusa
Web Editor

Member Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Initially Posted - 12/27/2012 :  13:27:21  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Does it make sense to even try and fly the jib and an asym????

Paul

Joint Decision. (Sold)
PO C250WB 2005 Sail # 841.

Moved up to C34 Eximius

Updated August 2015

Edited by - on

DaveR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2015 Posts

Response Posted - 12/27/2012 :  14:48:55  Show Profile  Visit DaveR's Homepage
Tom Curran and I did once on Island Time, worked fine.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 12/27/2012 :  17:18:55  Show Profile
I have no experience doing it but, that's never before stopped me from rendering an opinion so, er goes.

I would think it depends on the amount of wind, point of sail and your sail trim ability. DDW in light or very light wind with both of them wing 'n wing should work fine. (WORK being the operative word there) I'd think keeping them filled will be a full time job for the sheet handler. On other points-of-sail, keeping one out of the shadow of the other will likely be problematic. Throw in the shadow of the mainsail and the problem multiplies. I've sailed my boat with headsail alone on a number of occasions and, while it handled ok, it doesn't handle as well as with a more balanced sailplan.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

zeil
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1297 Posts

Response Posted - 12/27/2012 :  18:51:42  Show Profile

Go try it... it'll be a hoot... given a light steady breeze, the asym sock be able to quickly douse the sail, have two pair of hands, good equipment and lots of sea room. Should be a lot of fun... Can I come??

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JohnP
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1519 Posts

Response Posted - 12/28/2012 :  06:27:53  Show Profile
No good on a run. Use the gennaker and the main wing-and-wing.

On a broad reach with steady wind and with miles to sail, opening your roller furling jib to 60% size, inside the gennaker, would add some power, in my opinion. I think I'll try it next time I can.

The power it would add probably depends on the wind speed - At 3-5 knots it would do nothing; at 5-10 knots it could add power and speed; at 10-12 knots the boat is already at hull speed and no more power is needed; at 12-15 knots you usually don't fly the chute.

Flying 2 gennakers or drifters with 2 whisker poles would be the best rig to sail long distances down-wind, but would be useless if you needed to navigate around obstacles ahead.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 12/28/2012 :  06:57:46  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by britinusa</i>
<br />Does it make sense to even try and fly the jib and an asym????
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

For me, flying the genoa along with the chute would mean I'd have to let the chute's tack fly free as I currently secure the tack of my chute to the furled headsail to keep it close to centerline.

Keep in mind that as you approach sailing DDW, the spinnaker is going to roll ahead of the forestay. This can be seen in the photo below.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DaveR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2015 Posts

Response Posted - 12/28/2012 :  07:14:58  Show Profile  Visit DaveR's Homepage
Ya know, I don't remember the exact circumstances but it was pretty much DDW in very light wind. I believe we centered the main to kill the shadow. I think we had the whisker on the jib. But certainly it will only be good in the right conditions. Too much wind and you'll plow and be what NASCAR would call "loose"

Edited by - DaveR on 12/28/2012 07:16:23
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 12/28/2012 :  07:56:44  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DaveR</i>
<br />Ya know, I don't remember the exact circumstances but it was pretty much DDW in very light wind. I believe we centered the main to kill the shadow.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Yeah, I center mine as well to keep it from blanketing the chute, but more often than not, I'll just douse the main and run on the chute alone when running in a more DDW direction. Usually I try to plan my runs so as to avoid DDW, but sometimes the wind has other ideas.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DaveR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2015 Posts

Response Posted - 12/30/2012 :  07:50:45  Show Profile  Visit DaveR's Homepage
I hear what you're saying Don. We were racing and on a semi short downwind tack so were kind of stuck with what we had.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 01/01/2013 :  05:47:19  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
We secure the Asym Tack to the furler too. I tie a webbing strap to the furler and secure the Asym tack to that webbing, then I can adjust the height of the tack by adjusting the tack line that goes back to the stbd cabin top winch.

I had not thought of the tack issue, that would prevent flying both.

No chance to fly the Asym this weekend, winds were persistently above 17kts. Ruggly weather from the West.

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

John Russell
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3444 Posts

Response Posted - 01/01/2013 :  12:21:48  Show Profile
Didn't Henk (Someday Lady) make a sort of bowsprit contraption for his boat? Maybe that would help with securing the tack. Barring that, maybe some kind of pennant?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

zeil
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Canada
1297 Posts

Response Posted - 01/01/2013 :  13:21:00  Show Profile
Our homemade trial bowsprit works fine but... given that it covers the anchor locker you may consider it less than ideal. Even though it only takes one bolt to temporally tip the bowsprit up and open the anchor locker it is a nuisance and a deterrent when out on the anchor.

Arlyn Stewart correctly commented that you can fly the asymmetrical without a bowsprit by lengthening the tack sheet.

Our thought was that a bowsprit would provide more room forward of a fore-stay/furler (plus the 10" high mast carrier we installed on the bow-pulpit and used when the mast is down) and the asym to change from a port to starboard tack.

Bow pulpit elevated SS mast carrier...

Bow pulpit elevated SS mast carrier also allowed the hatch to fully open during RV camp days and provided room to transport "Someday Baby" Once installed there was no need to remove it... interestingly enough at no time did anyone comment or ask questions about our "bow-chaser"...

Edited by - zeil on 01/01/2013 19:39:17
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 01/01/2013 :  13:24:47  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
The Asym setup on JD has the Tack secured to a line lead back to the cabin top winch. The line runs from the Tack, down to a block secured to the top of the pulpit then aft to a block on the first pulpit downtube, and then another on the first stanchion then free back to the winch. The Aysm has a clip a few inches above the tack. That clip is what I use to attach to the webbing strap. The webbing strap is secured to the furler about 2 feet above the drum and again around 5 feet above the drum, so the strap extends between those two points. Now the clip can run up or down the webbing strap and that is how I can control the height of the tack by adjusting the tension on the tack line.

Paul

Edited by - britinusa on 01/01/2013 13:26:21
Go to Top of Page

DaveR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2015 Posts

Response Posted - 01/04/2013 :  18:39:55  Show Profile  Visit DaveR's Homepage
Just revisiting this and a thought popped into my head, I'm thinking that it was actually a drifter and a jib Tom was flying ........... oops. Sorry for the misinfo.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page