Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Lateral load at mast step?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jandrus
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
79 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/12/2003 :  16:37:34  Show Profile
Hi -

Anyone know how highly loaded the mast step is latterally? I had to pull mine to fix a deck leak. Fortunately everything looked solid - water was trickling out into cabin through old cable routing holes rather than being trapped in the core, apparently. When I put it back I took the time to upgrade to through-bolts from the factory lags. Got me wondering about the bolts, though.

Seems to me the step takes most of its load in compression. It also seems to me that since its under such compression - and increased compression under heavy sailing loads - that there ought to be significant resistance to sliding.

Anyone want to disabuse me? I'd hate to wrong and get punched in the nose with the butt of the mast some day.

Thanks.

Justin.

c25 #1942 s/v tako kichi

Edited by - on

dgabel
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
75 Posts

Response Posted - 01/12/2003 :  20:57:16  Show Profile
I haven't taken the time to study this, but it seems to me that if your mast is straight up and down, both fore and aft and side to side, then the only load will be vertical.

However, when the sails apply a load to the mast, the stays will stretch somewhat, or, if you run with them loose, they don't have to stretch, and the mast will take on some lean to one side. Then the force at the mast step will have a very small sideways component in the direction away from which the mast is leaning.

Similarly, if you tighten the backstay and induce some mast rake, the force at the step will have a small forward component.

But both of these lateral forces will be balanced by friction at the mast step, and by forces delivered by the bolts that hold the step in place. I really don't think (no study, remember) these lateral components will be of such a magnitude that they are likely to cause any shearing of the bolts, and that's the only way the mast is likely to move.

Dave Gabel
Walkure, Sail # 1484

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page