Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Make your hull shine
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

JimGo
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
962 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2012 :  06:56:38  Show Profile
I used the buffer from Harbor Freight, and the Presta products recommended in that SailNet article. Seemed to work well, though it took forever!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

awetmore
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1144 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2012 :  09:31:36  Show Profile
I've thought about sending it to the pros, but the first estimate that I got was $45/foot for a heavily oxidized boat (so over $1200). That was a bit of sticker shock. If I could find someone to do it for $500-$600 I'd probably just pay for it at this point.

We don't have our boat in a real marina, it is a private dock with about 8 boats there, plus 10 more in neighboring slips that shares the same physical dock. So we don't have any real services to lean on there. Most of the boats kept around mine are owned by DIY folks too.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OJ
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4382 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2012 :  10:00:52  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by awetmore</i>
<br />. . . light sanding with 600 grit . . . I do have a cheap car buffer and wonder if that is good enough for buffing compound . . .
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"> 600 grit is too aggressive - would recommend starting with 1200 then 1500.

I've been down the underpowered equipment path and it was a complete waste of time. The Makita is 9 amps and very robust. There's one grade pad for rubbing compound, another grade for polishing compound and another for glazing. I followed the sailnet link with the exception of the foam pads - I used wool for all 3 stages. <i>Using the wrong pads gives visibly different results. </i>

My previous post above says the paste wax was too difficult to use. Someone told me I was was letting it dry too long - now it's the only wax I'll use (and you can definitely see the difference between 1 coat and 2 coats.)

Have been through a lot of trial and error on this topic. The sailnet link is the best - so far. Perhaps you could try Poliglow instead of Collinite.

Good luck and post some pix!

Before:

After:

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

CarbonSink62
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
208 Posts

Response Posted - 05/04/2012 :  11:56:25  Show Profile
Like awetmore, I bought a white boat and found out it was really ivory colored.

I'm also a member of SailNet (same user name) and have been using the tips in that thread. I went with the 1000 grit paper, 3M rubbing compound, 3M polish and Collinite paste wax. I'm sold on all of them and can't believe the improvement in my 30 year old hull (neglected for probably the last 5). I had a cheap buffer that I couldn't trust and couldn't possibly afford the $200 Makita and the $80 disk (plus the three pads at $30 ea); all the supplies were close to $100 and my budget was zero. I had to do it all by hand.

It looks really good now, but I wish I'd had more time. Next year, I'll do the compound again and get a little bit deeper so I get a more uniform color. I've already hit epoxy in a couple of places, that's the risk we take.

I can't post pics from here, I'll try from home.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page