Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Big 110VAC Problem Turns Into Non-Problem
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
3368 Posts

Initially Posted - 10/09/2008 :  22:49:13  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Last Thursday after work, I wanted to check if any issues hooking up a small portable heater to my 110VAC outlets, as I was planning on leaving on an overnighter starting Friday and wanted to be prepared in case it was a cold night. As it turned out, Friday was fairly warm and no need for the heater.

But in checking out the heater, I found that after not using the 110VAC since last year, none of my outlets had any juice ! I thought back at some of the electrical improvements I had done during the past year and mostly it was to the 12VDC side - putting in a new 8 breaker switch panel and then transferring many of the circuits to it. Looking behind the 110VAC circuit breaker area, certainly is a pile of wires there and was not looking forward to figuring out the problem. Sort of looking for a needle in a haystack.

So...for starters, went to Home Depot and picked up a $8 15Amp outlet tester. Then from West Marine, purcahsed a 15Amp-30Amp adapter so that I could first use the tester to check out the dock shore power connection and then work my way from there to the boat outlets. The adapter from WM was $52. Then decided to pick up a longer 30 Amp shore cable because I noticed at the marina where I stayed overnight, my 25' cable would not have been long enough, so I bought a 40' one (w/LED indicator for when "live")...at WM cost $69. The adapter and cable received 10% off due to a weekend sale they were having but still...$8 + $47 + $62 + 5% tax.....I was ready to do battle !

Dock shore power connection - Tested SAT.
40' cable - LED was "on" and tested SAT.
Connected live cable to boat 30Amp Connector and then tested each cabin outlet. Tester indicated....No Juice ! So what gives....... Then I looked a bit closer at the GFCI Outlets I installed the other year in place of the std outlets...Hmmm ! Let me press the reset button all the way in and see what that does ? "Click"...then the other outlet "Click". I couldn't believe I overlooked this step the other day when I was preparing for the overnighter. Retested with the tester - SAT. Plugged in the portable heater - No Problems !

Then for jollies, I fooled around with my Smart Charger which is hard wired to the AC power. I turned off my solar panel, turned on all loads - lights and fans (high power). Once battery voltage started to drop a bit, the Smart Charger charging light came on. Then I turned on my solar panel from the controller and turned off all the loads - The charger indicated "Ready" but the charging light went off since battery was fully charged. Everything checked out okay !!

So....what I thought was a big problem was after.....$110 spent...turned into a non-issue ! But I look at this as a "Good" story !

Have any of you had some issues thought were big and turned out to have easy or non-fixes required ?

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html

Edited by - on

JimB517
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
3285 Posts

Response Posted - 10/10/2008 :  00:44:38  Show Profile  Visit JimB517's Homepage
I had an extensive AC problem I could not figure out. I was afraid I would have to rewire the boat. I even changed cords. I tested this and that.

Finally I determined that my boat was plugged into Gary's plug (Classical Cat, in the next slip). His boat was plugged into my socket. His switch was off. No matter what I did with my switch,cord, breakers, ... my boat had no juice.

Good for me finding the answer did not cost any $

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 10/10/2008 :  07:00:29  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Ha! about a dollar a volt!

Glad I'm not the only one that gets caught like that!

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page