Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 bulkhead refinishing
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

2far2drive
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
74 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/31/2008 :  23:19:04  Show Profile  Visit 2far2drive's Homepage
Well, Its getting closer to fall so I can finally start working on the boat again and start finishing all those projects (running lines aft) that I started and abandoned. Something that I think brings the look of my boat way down is the condition of my bulkheads. They have water stains all over them where water somehow previously ran down them quite a bit.

How do I go about refinishing them? Im already afraid that sanding and mucho teak oil is the answer.

Trying to spruce her look up a bit. She looks like a tired maid lol. Im not really willing to drop a couple K to refit her. Im already cheating on her (looking at other, more capable boats) and I would like to do cheap but nice things to make her look nice again on the inside.

David
83 SR/FK #3341
Kemah Texas

Edited by - on

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 08/01/2008 :  13:41:46  Show Profile
Not that I refinished mine, but I had left some binox hanging and they made a black mark in an arch swinging from the hook. I hand sanded the area, with the grain as best I could and reoiled the area and it looked pretty good. I was afraid it was going to look very new in the area I had sanded, and you can see the difference, but on the whole I was impressed with how much better the area looked and how easy it had been to "clean up" and mine was not a noticeable area when I finished.

I also have some water stains on the port side and I think they would be deeper in the wood so I'm not sure they would come out.

I was worried I'd do more damage than good but I seem to have a boat that always looks better every time I do anything to it.

I found in my case it was an overall improvement to sand the surface and add some more teak oil.

regards.ray

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Happy D
Admiral

Members Avatar

921 Posts

Response Posted - 08/02/2008 :  05:49:33  Show Profile
Do you know for sure if the bulkheads are teak veneer or are they a laminate?
These boat have been prone to the chain plates leaking and it causes the bulkheads to rot along the bottom. If you find that to be the case, it might be best to just replace them. It's not that big of a job but it is a few days work.
However, if the bulkheads are teak and still in good shape, a good cleaning with two part teak cleaner and then a good coat of oil might just do the trick.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 08/02/2008 :  09:25:56  Show Profile
When we bought our boat, we washed down the interior wood with a Murphy's Oil Soap solution and a washcloth, then the admiral used Old English Furniture Polish on the bulkhead and other laminated surfaces while I put Amazon golden Teak Oil on the solid wood drawer fronts, trim, etc. Turned out pretty good, and much less hassle than sanding.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

crcalhoon
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
303 Posts

Response Posted - 08/02/2008 :  12:25:31  Show Profile
HappyD is right. These boats are prone to leak around the chainplates. This tends to generate rot around the central bulkheads, usually at the bottom, but sometimes at the top too. If the rot is very far advanced you have a structural problem, because of the way the upper chainplates are attached and the way Catalina attached the bulkheads to the boat. (not nearly enough screws and bolts and hardware type stuff)
As HappyD says, replacing the bulkheads is really not a big deal although at first glance it seems so. You can do the whole thing for less than $100 if you stick to birch ply. If you have to have teak, then Heaven only knows, cause I sure don't. A friend here with a J27 just had a sheet of teak and holly ply shipped in to replace his rotted out cabin sole and all up it was about $600.00 counting shipping and all.
If on the other hand there is only stain and no rot, then you got lucky and a combo of washing sanding and oiling will do the job.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page