Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Sailboat search - General question
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Scooter
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
228 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/24/2007 :  19:01:14  Show Profile
What I'm looking for is to search for all makes, models, and sizes of sailboats with 4 ft draft or less (for example). Better yet a site I can search all models and years for draft or any other ftrs.

Any out there? I lokked at some of the links like Bost database and Calculator but got lost.

Any other ideaa? Too complicated for anybody to gather?

I know there are sooooo many variables out there but thought I would try.

Scooter
C25 '89 SR/WK #5878 "Square Knot"
Vandemere NC.

Edited by - on

ClamBeach
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3072 Posts

Response Posted - 01/24/2007 :  20:08:19  Show Profile
Haven't seen a site that categorizes boats for sail by draft.

IMHO: Advanced search on Yachtworld probably is the most selective search you're gonna get.
I'd think there shouldn't be that many boats to look through. Besides, clicking through sailboat pages is a good way to burn a winter evening.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

cat1951
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
636 Posts

Response Posted - 01/25/2007 :  08:24:41  Show Profile
While the variables are not as you indicate, Clam does mention a good site. Others include: www.sailingtexas.com, www.boats.com, and www.sailboatowners.com/trailorsailor

There are many others, but these are my favorites.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 01/25/2007 :  09:25:34  Show Profile
You've pointed out a good improvement that the boat brokers should make in their websites. They should be searchable by draft.

Yachtworld's advanced search doesn't permit such a search, but, you can search for boats in your size and price range, and each listing will indicate the boat's draft. The first time you go through the complete list, make notes of all the boats that meet your draft limitation. Afterwards, whenever you do another search, you can ignore all the listings except the boats that you believe will meet your requirements.

When you start your search, it's best to not narrow your parameters too much. Look at all kinds of different boats with different design parameters. In doing so, you will allow yourself to change your thinking along the way. Your search parameters will eventually narrow, and you'll realize that the narrower your parameters, the harder it is to find a good boat that meets your requirements. That's why it's good to not narrow them too quickly.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

welshoff
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
253 Posts

Response Posted - 01/25/2007 :  10:45:20  Show Profile
You can also go through the boats listed on [url="http://www.image-ination.com/sailcalc.html"]Carl's Sailing Calculator[/url] for a side by side comparison of sailboat parameters.

Note: it does not show draft by boat model.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Designwiz
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
59 Posts

Response Posted - 01/26/2007 :  16:36:51  Show Profile
Hi:
As a current owner of a Catalina 25 I thought I would add my two cents. I just purchased a second sailboat (yes, now a two boat owner) and it only draws 3 feet 6 inches. Not that common of a boat up here in the North East but I just love the looks of it. Reminds me of a Cape Dory or a mini Island Packet. It's a ComPac made by the Hutchin's Company in Florida. It is a 27 foot with a 2 foot teak bow sprite. A very traditional looking boat and just had to buy it. Brass ports and Teak galore (I know what I'll be doing alot of !!!). In the meantime I'll still be sailing my Catalina until I get this boat set up the way I want it for cruising the New England coastline, (Block. Cuttyhunk, Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket). Still love my Catalina and will continue sailing it for awhile at least.

Edited by - Designwiz on 01/26/2007 16:39:10
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 01/26/2007 :  18:49:15  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Nice looking boat, what kind of keel (do they have a swing keel version).

Like the wood interior, does look as though it has less stowage than the c250.. is that the case?

Can you trailer that thing?

paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

atgep
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1009 Posts

Response Posted - 01/26/2007 :  19:28:35  Show Profile
Don't forget, it is a real possibility to find a large error in the published draft. The cat 25 can be +/- a couple of inches, depending on loading.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave Bristle
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
10005 Posts

Response Posted - 01/27/2007 :  10:06:37  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by britinusa</i>
<br />Nice looking boat, what kind of keel (do they have a swing keel version).

Like the wood interior, does look as though it has less stowage than the c250.. is that the case?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Com-Pacs generally (and I think the 27) have long, shallow "cutaway" keels (but not true full keels) made of fiberglass filled with concrete. Foot-for-foot, they generally have less interior volume than Catalinas, but that's normal for the more traditional hulls (like Cape Dory, etc.) Their windward performance is compromised somewhat by the very low draft of the keel--they are definitely not built for racing. I like their 27 best--congratulations, Bruce, on a boat that'll make you proud!

Edited by - Dave Bristle on 01/28/2007 13:15:57
Go to Top of Page

Frank Hopper
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

Pitcairn Island
6776 Posts

Response Posted - 01/27/2007 :  13:15:22  Show Profile  Visit Frank Hopper's Homepage
I agree, that is a boat that will hold a man's heart.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Designwiz
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
59 Posts

Response Posted - 01/27/2007 :  17:45:32  Show Profile
Thanks guys, I agree that my Catalina 25 fin will most likely beat the boot stripe off of the ComPac. That's why I am keeping the Catalina for awhile and the Weds night races and bay sailing on Mt Hope and Narragansett Bay is another.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave Bristle
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
10005 Posts

Response Posted - 01/28/2007 :  13:18:22  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Designwiz</i>
<br />...I agree that my Catalina 25 fin will most likely beat the boot stripe off of the ComPac...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
Don't get me wrong--I expect the CP-27 will walk away from the C-25 off the wind or on a reach in decent wind, on waterline length alone. She'll give you a nice ride.

Edited by - Dave Bristle on 01/28/2007 13:23:54
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 01/28/2007 :  13:44:18  Show Profile
A friend of mine sailed a Compac 24 all around the Bahamas for about 6 weeks, and it took good care of him, including once when he got into some serious weather. It seems to be a solid, well-built boat.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave Bristle
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
10005 Posts

Response Posted - 01/28/2007 :  15:41:13  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Steve Milby</i>
<br />A friend of mine sailed a Compac 24 all around the Bahamas...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
23 or 25... The 23 is kinda small, and the 25 is quite beamy--a hull that used to be the Watkins 25, and doesn't look like a real Com-Pac to me. (Funny--"kinda" passes the new spell check, but "beamy" doesn't.)

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page