Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Which thread for sewing Sunbrella ?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

britinusa
Web Editor

Member Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Initially Posted - 01/27/2007 :  18:34:31  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Anyone know?

Paul

Joint Decision. (Sold)
PO C250WB 2005 Sail # 841.

Moved up to C34 Eximius

Updated August 2015

Edited by - on

Tom Potter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1913 Posts

Response Posted - 01/27/2007 :  18:41:51  Show Profile
Paul,
We used nylon.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Frank Hopper
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

Pitcairn Island
6776 Posts

Response Posted - 01/27/2007 :  19:02:17  Show Profile  Visit Frank Hopper's Homepage
Go to sailrite and buy a big spool of their UV resistant thread, I did.
http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.603010/it.A/id.1080/.f

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Leon Sisson
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1889 Posts

Response Posted - 01/27/2007 :  22:28:06  Show Profile  Visit Leon Sisson's Homepage
Paul,

For Sunbrella, I've been using Dabond V-92 (Heminway & Bartlett). It's strong and durable, but doesn't feed as well as I'd like. I would suggest getting an ounce (aprox. 250yds-750yds) each of V-30, V-46, V-69, and V-92 polyester to see what you like. SailRite sells those individually or as a kit. SailRite also has a kit of 220 yds trilobal polyester in each of eight colors -- good for durable machine embroidery which can handle occasional exposure to weather. I'd suggest you be certain what you want before ordering a "big spool" of thread. A 1# cone holds around 2 to 3 miles of thread, and sells for $39-$45. Just out of curiosity, do you know how well your sewing machine handles Sunbrella?

-- Leon Sisson

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 01/28/2007 :  06:49:36  Show Profile
Those big cones don't fit on the spindle of your sewing machine like ordinary spools of thread, but I learned last summer that you can buy a simple, inexpensive device at your local sewing center that holds those big cones of thread and feeds it to your machine.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 01/28/2007 :  07:19:51  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Thanks Guys, I'll go shopping today.
Re the machine, it is supposed to handle 3 layers of denim, not bad for a machine that cost $65 on sale. So far it has handled everything that my amature projects needed.

My boom tent is going to be made from 2 of 8' long trapezoids, 44" at the back and 24" at the front, joined down the boom line. Currently I'm planning on attaching it to the leading edge of the bimini with twist locks and the front with a line around the mast with bungees down to the single deck organizers.

Paul.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Frank Hopper
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

Pitcairn Island
6776 Posts

Response Posted - 01/28/2007 :  08:14:10  Show Profile  Visit Frank Hopper's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Steve Milby</i>
<br />Those big cones don't fit on the spindle of your sewing machine like ordinary spools of thread, but I learned last summer that you can buy a simple, inexpensive device at your local sewing center that holds those big cones of thread and feeds it to your machine.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
I had the exact same experience and was thrilled to find that the holder was so simple and so cheap. They have them at Sailrite as well, I just did not know enough to order one when I ordered my thread. Cones of thread are cross-wound, and meant to pull off over the top as the cone sits flat on the thread stand. The thread stand stabilizes the thread and elevates it higher than the machine. The vertical arm of the thread stand lifts the thread higher than the machine allowing an even feed without added tension.

http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.603010/it.A/id.1779/.f?sc=2&category=7315

Edited by - Frank Hopper on 01/28/2007 08:22:27
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 01/28/2007 :  09:38:14  Show Profile
Paul, $65. is a pretty good price for a new sewing machine that is suitable for fairly heavy duty sewing projects like ours. If you've found it satisfactory, why don't you tell us it's brand and model number?

Mine is a White Model 1805, and it does a pretty good job, considering the klutz at the controls, but it cost more than that about 10 years ago.

By the way, this is a good opportunity to pass along a tip I just learned. I'm making a class racing flag for a friend this winter out of nylon fabric, and it's hard to fold it over twice along the edges to make a narrow hem (about 1/4" wide) all around it. The fabric is slippery, and it's hard to "pin" it with my fat, arthritic fingers. I just learned that you can get a special foot for your sewing machine that folds the fabric automatically as it pulls it under the needle, and you end up with a neat, professional looking hem. They cost from $10. to $20., depending on the brand of machine, and I can think of many times I could have used it on other projects. I got mine at a store that sells sewing machines called the Stitching Post. I don't know if it's a national chain or just local.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

djn
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1561 Posts

Response Posted - 01/28/2007 :  10:09:20  Show Profile
Depending on how much you need, you might talk to your local sail guy and get a bunch of tailings...the little (4 to 8 feet) letovers at the end of their spools. Cheers.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dave holtgrave
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
427 Posts

Response Posted - 01/28/2007 :  10:11:54  Show Profile
hey paul alcock
talk to me about your sewing machine.

what brand and model??

i'm looking for one now

thanks
dave holtgrave 5722 sk/tr
hard and dry and snowing near carlyle lake in southern illinois

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 01/28/2007 :  16:22:17  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
The machine is a white 3032 and it comes with all the bits.. including the hemming attachment, zigzagers.
I hadn't seen the post about the thread holder, and the spool I purchased is designed stationary feed from the narrow end. So I held it to the table with a couple of clamps but I'll make one of those holders from a coat hanger.. this is getting really cheap I know!

I purchased the machine at Brands Mart for $65 last year (06). So far it has been used to make the cabin curtains. It is handling 4 layers of sunbrella without groaning.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page