Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 HOLE IN THE TRUNK
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ajski1000
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
52 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/16/2006 :  20:37:29  Show Profile
After a long winters rest, It was time for the boat to splash.
When it did, I went down to check all of the thru-hulls for leaks. But it wasnt the thru hull, just as the boat went in water came too.
I noticed water coming im from around the keel winch mechanism. I immediately had the boat hauled.

From there on i began my journey to find out what I was dealing with.

Here are a few pictures (cut and paste it)

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/narrowsrealty/album?.dir=/ee50re2

Within the last two days I have reglassed the area and plug the whole with bonding and painted over it. The boat is back in the water and all seems to be well. BUT, I sailed the boat all last year with no water. Im very interested to find out why and how this hole occurred and if it might happen again.

The only lead i got was from Lowell who suggested that the copped pipe in which the keel cable goes through came un-embedded. But he was skeptical because he couldn’t see it.
I think maybe some stress in hauling? or something else??

Any ideas?

AJ

Edited by - on

Frank Hopper
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

Pitcairn Island
6776 Posts

Response Posted - 06/16/2006 :  21:25:36  Show Profile  Visit Frank Hopper's Homepage
That looks like damage from an incorrect cable connector at the keel. Do you have any photos of the cable at the keel?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

ajski1000
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
52 Posts

Response Posted - 06/16/2006 :  21:29:58  Show Profile
Frank,

I dont have one on hand. But I can tell you that it is the fork setup. The keel has the fork and the cable comes down and attaches with a clevis pin. I replaced the keel cable, winch and turning ball this spring any effect?

Edited by - ajski1000 on 06/16/2006 21:30:51
Go to Top of Page

ClamBeach
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3072 Posts

Response Posted - 06/17/2006 :  22:17:29  Show Profile
Hard to say what the history of that area is or what a PO may have had on the keel. About the only way to physically damage that area is to get something jammed up in there... wrong cable attachment etc.

Aside from that, might have been a manufacturing flaw. Did the hole appear to be broken out... or more like a void?

>"I replaced the keel cable, winch and turning ball this spring any effect?"

All good things to do to prevent future problems in that area.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave Bristle
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
10005 Posts

Response Posted - 06/18/2006 :  16:41:34  Show Profile
I'm no swinger, but could it be that when the boat was hauled, somebody set it down with the boat's weight on the raised keel (as you're supposed to with a fin keel) so that the attachment hardware crunched the area where the cable goes through? My understanding is that a SK boat should be supported only by the hull, and that the keel should be blocked so that it is only supporting its own weight--in other words, it should be down just a little bit. Right?

Edited by - Dave Bristle on 06/18/2006 16:45:21
Go to Top of Page

ajski1000
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
52 Posts

Response Posted - 06/18/2006 :  20:49:40  Show Profile
Dave,

That was my thought. I had the boat professional hauled from my yard to the marina. When he put the boat on the trailer the boat was blocked at the keel, he left the blocks underneath the keel until the last moment. So in the process of getting it from the stands to the trailer, the boats weight was all on the retracted keel and one stand in the front and one in the year for stablilty. I thought maybe it was to much weight to be put there?

The boat has been in the water for the past 4 days, no leaks, and i have retracted the keel a few times with no problems.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page