Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 rice crispys below the water line
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tidesailer
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
53 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/12/2006 :  22:42:46  Show Profile
how is everybody? this is the closest way I can describe it..lol. I have a 81 C25 sitting in a lake in sunny hot texas. I have notice this sound(snap and pop) since the hot summer has arrived. I have noticed after taking a dive that my keel gelcoat is blistering. Could this sound be the iron keel expanding in the warming water? Should I be concerned?thank you for all replies.. Don

Edited by - on

StSimon
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
298 Posts

Response Posted - 06/12/2006 :  23:59:05  Show Profile
I have been wrong before so if I'm wrong this time it's not like I'll be surprised or anything.

My C25 has no gelcoat on the keel. I believe it is iron or some other substance that enjoys rusting, pitting and what not. I doubt they ever gel coated the keels. Gelcoat is used to cover fiberglass.

My C25 has hundreds of gelcoat blisters on the hull. I'm in the midst of a complete bottom job right now. I am sanding down to the fiberglass, any blisters that are not fair are getting the countersink bit treatment followed by West Systems products. Next will be the Interprotect, and finally the hard bottom paint. It can be wetsanded and burnished to a racing slick finish. I know as the rudder is as slick as owl s*@t. No ablative here, I'm trailer sailoring for now.

Anyhow, back to your question. I don't know.

Anyone else have any ideas as to how this phenomenon came to be?

God bless America.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

stampeder
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

1608 Posts

Response Posted - 06/13/2006 :  10:59:13  Show Profile
You need to find out what is on your keel and your bottom. Some swing keel owners have encapsulated their keels with epoxy or similar materials.
Iron expands very little and therefore, expansion would be a highly unlikely culprit.

Have you checked your bilge? Maybe the Rice Krispies are down there.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

tidesailer
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
53 Posts

Response Posted - 06/13/2006 :  12:15:35  Show Profile
sorry guys i failed to mention that it is a fin keel, and the bilge area I have checked and cannot see any problem. I will take a dive soon , Im still believing it is the fin keel. I will do all the repairs next winter after the season. last I checked it has many blisters
. thanks

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Champipple
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
6855 Posts

Response Posted - 06/13/2006 :  12:27:21  Show Profile  Visit Champipple's Homepage
There is a lot of information that is missing here in order to make an assessment. What type of keel do you have? What type of bottom paint? Was it fair before you put it in the water? Are you 100% sure they are blisters? Have you ever seen one?

If you have a fixed keel, there is a small possibility that the Gel Coat is blistering, but I don’t see it making any noise. Osmotic blistering occurs over time and doesn’t create a situation were the blisters would pop like a sheet of bubble wrap. The good news is your keel is Cast Iron or lead or some other metal and any water penetration there wouldn’t do any damage to the core other than possibly rust. It’s also submerged, you wouldn’t hear anything – unless it was really loud.

There is a possibility that you had a bad paint job (or a cheap one) that would cause the paint to flake and create high and low areas – can’t really tell that without seeing it.

Are you sure you’re not hearing the lapping of the water against the hull on a windless day? Anyone else have any ideas what might be making this noise?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

takokichi
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
321 Posts

Response Posted - 06/13/2006 :  14:56:10  Show Profile
I'm going with little creatures eating the other little creatures, that are growing on your hull.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Fantasy II
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
80 Posts

Response Posted - 06/13/2006 :  16:58:38  Show Profile
We used to hear the "Snap,crackle & pop" all the time in San Diego harbor. Turned out the noise was caused by little sea creatures that did NO damage to the hull. Shrimp, or some other creature I forget!! But I am certain that this is not what you are hearing on a lake

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 06/13/2006 :  18:38:18  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Are you near an active sonar area?
Not quite what you describe, but I used to hear the transmissions from ships sonar systems in Portsmouth harbor England, the keel would ring with each ping.

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Tom Potter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1913 Posts

Response Posted - 06/13/2006 :  21:38:00  Show Profile
Krill, they are like tiny shrimp that feed on the growth on your hull bottom, sounds like cellophane crinkling

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Cate
Navigator

Members Avatar

199 Posts

Response Posted - 06/14/2006 :  14:34:55  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by StSimon</i>
<br />My C25 has hundreds of gelcoat blisters on the hull. I'm in the midst of a complete bottom job right now. I am sanding down to the fiberglass, any blisters that are not fair are getting the countersink bit treatment followed by West Systems products. Next will be the Interprotect, and finally the hard bottom paint. It can be wetsanded and burnished to a racing slick finish. I know as the rudder is as slick as owl s*@t.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

FYI-Owl s*@t is not really slick. They produce "pellets" which usually contain bone bits and hair of the prey they eat. (Former educator for Audubon Society)

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

oldsalt
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
578 Posts

Response Posted - 06/14/2006 :  16:34:58  Show Profile
Frankly I can't think of anything related to the construction of the hull or keel that would cause the sort of noise you're describing.

Your '81 fin is constructed of cast iron and even if it is corroding, there's a lot of metal down there and any rusting will only be cosmetic in nature and may slow you down a bit if its not adequately fair.

Could the noise be something in the chainplates or standing rigging thats being transmitted down to the hull or some thermal expansion in the hull to deck joint or even between the bulheads and the interior pan?

Is the vinyl cussioning properly in place between your bulkheads and your interior?

My bet is that it's caused by some aquatic critters but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Sorry to answer your question with more questions.

Let us know when you figure this one out.

Good luck.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Ericson33
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
892 Posts

Response Posted - 06/14/2006 :  17:18:03  Show Profile  Visit Ericson33's Homepage
Its turtles eating the groth off the bottom, I hear it all of the time. Snap, Pop, Pop, Snap. Tink.... Ect. I am luckly to have the boat up on a hoist so these little buggers are at the pontoons sitting in the water. They also like to have a sun bath ontop. I didn't know what it was untell my brother pointed them out.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Gloss
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1916 Posts

Response Posted - 06/14/2006 :  19:29:38  Show Profile
can we train these critters to eat jet skiers?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

tidesailer
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
53 Posts

Response Posted - 06/14/2006 :  22:37:36  Show Profile
lol thanks for all the suggestions I really appreciate the help. No I have not found what it is but i will still keep my ears open. If it is critters, I will let ya know.I will solve this mistery..

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

lcharlot
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Antigua and Barbuda
1301 Posts

Response Posted - 06/15/2006 :  07:23:47  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Gloss</i>
<br />can we train these critters to eat jet skiers?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Now, now, Frank, calm down. Jet skis are annoying, but there must be some other, more humane way to deal with the problem. More humane to the turtles I mean . Jet Skiers would make a poor diet for them; the animal-rights crowd would be pretty upset about it. Hmmmm, "Giant Snapping Turtle Attacks Jet Skier!", sounds like something you would see on the front page of the "Weekly World News".

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

glivs
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
822 Posts

Response Posted - 06/18/2006 :  22:37:26  Show Profile
Don,
One simple test. If you are operating a fish finder when you hear the sound, try turning it off and then back on and check whether the "rice crispy" sounds disappear and then reappear. Our wing keel is moored in freshwater and when I recently installed a fish finder I immediately noticed the crackling cellophane sound frowm within the cabin. I doubted whether it could be the tranducer but the above test confirmed it.
g

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Juniper
Deckhand

Members Avatar

USA
6 Posts

Response Posted - 06/20/2006 :  19:30:39  Show Profile
There isn't any gelcoat on the keel. What you are likely dealing with is galvanic corrosion. Some people believe a thin copper wire put over the transom will combat this, but I would rather think a good scrubbing and two coats of good bottom paint once a year is less a myth.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page