Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Damage to Foredeck
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 05/10/2006 :  23:25:53  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Derek Crawford</i>
<br />When the insurance company totals a boat it becomes theirs. Once you are handed the cheque you are not even allowed back on board - so if you have anything that you want to keep from the boat I suggest that you get it off NOW!
Derek
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Could things like sails, bimini, running rigging, furler,...etc, be removed without causing the insurance company heartburn?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

tinob
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1883 Posts

Response Posted - 05/11/2006 :  08:35:08  Show Profile
Right on Derek

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave Bristle
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
10005 Posts

Response Posted - 05/11/2006 :  09:36:29  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dlucier</i>
<br />Could things like sails, bimini, running rigging, furler,...etc, be removed without causing the insurance company heartburn?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I'd say if it's an obvious part of what they were insuring, then no. You could probably get away with the bimini without them noticing, but sails and running rigging might make them look cross-eyed. They probably have pictures that include the furler.

But why is <i>your </i>insurance paying?? The marina (or its insurance) should be. You don't want that loss on your record--it'll likely cost you down the road. Also, the bow tang in Cate's picture became standard equipment by the time mine was built--I'd venture to say that's the key to a good, reliable repair--it puts the load where it should have been--on the strongest part of the hull, as a shear force instead one pulling straight up. Then the deck can be repaired normally, and won't be under that stress.

Edited by - Dave Bristle on 05/11/2006 09:44:54
Go to Top of Page

Champipple
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
6855 Posts

Response Posted - 05/12/2006 :  21:56:12  Show Profile  Visit Champipple's Homepage
I've had friends whose boat was lit up big via lightening. Not a pretty sight. Once the Ins. co. cut a check, they bought it back for about half the price (salvage value) and they rebuilt it for less than the leftover $$$.

If you can do the work or have it done cheaply, then it might be an alternative to a new boat.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

boatgt
Navigator

Members Avatar

117 Posts

Response Posted - 05/12/2006 :  22:31:39  Show Profile
What about replacing the entire top of the boat from a donor boat? Seems like the only big job would be the hull to deck joint. Just a thought.
Gene

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

oldsalt
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
578 Posts

Response Posted - 05/13/2006 :  20:06:39  Show Profile
Take the money and run.

Find a nice replacement C-25, get out on the water; and don't look back. So long as you're recieving a fair settlement from your insurance carrier you are ahead of the game.

Good luck.

Mark

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Catbird
Deckhand

Members Avatar

20 Posts

Response Posted - 06/07/2006 :  13:43:59  Show Profile
Just a quick posting to let everyone know how all of this turned out. It's all good news, too. The marina settled with me directly, without needing to go through their insurance company. They accepted my insurance company's appraisal of the boats replacement value (which I considered to be fair) and paid me in full. They also agreed to reimburse for the maintenance work done on the boat by a third party while the boat was on the hard, even though that work did not add to the boat's appraised value. And, of course, a return of slip fees from when the boat came out of the water. They were very businesslike to deal with, apologized for the mishap, and as far as I'm concerned made good to me with a bare minimum of paperwork. They were great, I'm happy, they have the boat, and I'm free to shop for a new boat whenever I'm ready. Thanks to everyone on the forum for your support and interest while this unfolded. David

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3369 Posts

Response Posted - 06/07/2006 :  13:50:25  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
David....you being in a nearby marina (or was in a nearby marina), if you want to go sailing on a weekday right after work, let me know. Tuesdays and Thursdays usually work out for me and I can get down to the marina around 400pm or thereabouts. I'm over at James Creek Marina.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 06/07/2006 :  17:40:53  Show Profile
David,

Sorry about your boat, but I'm glad to hear things worked out to your satisfaction.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Lightnup
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1016 Posts

Response Posted - 06/07/2006 :  18:30:51  Show Profile
Good for you and good for the marina. You hear so many stories about crooked boatyards and marinas with bad customer service attitudes that it's nice to hear about one that steps up to the plate and operates responsibly.

Steve

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave Bristle
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
10005 Posts

Response Posted - 06/07/2006 :  22:18:40  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Lightnup</i>
<br />Good for you and good for the marina. You hear so many stories about crooked boatyards and marinas with bad customer service attitudes that it's nice to hear about one that steps up to the plate and operates responsibly.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Ditto! Happy hunting!

Edited by - Dave Bristle on 06/08/2006 07:29:42
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page