Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Cabin VBerth Hull Fittigs Encl & Storage Shelf
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
3369 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/05/2006 :  18:57:40  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
I finally finished this project ! I want to use the area under the VBerth as a potential storage area when on overnighters. However, because the thru-hull fittings and transducers are located in that area, I felt I would be reluctant to use this space for storage. My website has a description and photos of the plexiglas enclosure & storage shelf.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html

Edited by - on

Justin
Admiral

Members Avatar

502 Posts

Response Posted - 06/06/2006 :  07:01:13  Show Profile  Visit Justin's Homepage
I checked out your updated site. Looks good Larry. I've been carefull with what I place in my storage compartments near the thru hulls. In the v-berth all I have is a tarp and sail bag, so those should be fine. Creating that barrier was a good idea and makes it more usuable.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3369 Posts

Response Posted - 06/06/2006 :  17:02:27  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Justin,

I was noticing on your website that you were working on your deck connector. Right now that is one of the issues I have that needs to be completed to finish the mast rewiring last month. I had a boat mechanic work the rewiring. I provided just a tad bit of assistance. The old deck connector was removed but the 4 wires coming out are not very long and they are oxidized. The mechanic temporarily crimped the mast wires to the deck connector wires because he wanted to get the boat back in usable condition for me but he has to come back to pull out more of the interior wiring to cut away the oxidated wire ends and attach new wiring. But there does not appear to be any slack to pull out the old wires. The bulkhead may have to be removed to possibly gain access to the wires. Any idea where those wires are/go ?.

I now have the new connector that I purchased from Catalina Direct. I am trying to figure out where the deck connector wires go inside the boat. I think they go down the mast column support and into the bilge. In the bilge there is a black tube with a wire in it and I think that is from the mast wires. I also started to remove the bulkhead but the bulkhead is not hollow. Perhaps when it is removed it exposes the wires near the top where there is a fiberglass support edge/molding that the bulkhead is adjacent to and then the wires run down the mast support.

Removing the bulkhead is a lot of work that I would like to avoid. Since the lights are working right now, I suggested to perhaps just shove the crimped wire below decks, cut the wires above it and attach to the deck connector. But the boat mechanic is concerned that the if the oxidized leads are not cut out, the lights may stop working in a year or so. He wants to replace some of the interior wiring to complete the job correctly. If there is an easier way to pull the wiring thru versus taking down the bulkhead to install new wiring, then that is what I feel is the better approach.

Any info appreciated.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 06/06/2006 :  17:07:29  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Not sure if those wires are "resin'd" in place!

If not then you can use the old wires to pull new ones thru.

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 06/06/2006 :  18:30:11  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by OLarryR</i>
<br />...I am trying to figure out where the deck connector wires go inside the boat. I think they go down the mast column support and into the bilge. In the bilge there is a black tube with a wire in it and I think that is from the mast wires. I also started to remove the bulkhead but the bulkhead is not hollow. Perhaps when it is removed it exposes the wires near the top where there is a fiberglass support edge/molding that the bulkhead is adjacent to and then the wires run down the mast support...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Larry,

The original wiring was laid in place between the deck and interior skin during manufacturing and is not accessible. You'll have to run all new wiring to the electrical panel.

Edited by - dlucier on 06/06/2006 18:30:45
Go to Top of Page

djn
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1561 Posts

Response Posted - 06/06/2006 :  18:35:11  Show Profile
Hi Larry, I found the same as Don. My wires are also trash, so I have to run new wires from the panel behind the bulkhead and up to the mast. Cheers.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Justin
Admiral

Members Avatar

502 Posts

Response Posted - 06/06/2006 :  19:30:59  Show Profile  Visit Justin's Homepage
I also thought the wires ran in between the deck and interior liner. That is a bummer. Has anyone tried tying new wires to the originals and pulling them through? I just hope they don't get jammed or aren't glued in place. If you can't pull it through the liner, is the other best way to just drill a hole completely through into the cabin/head area and try to neatly hide the wire back to the power panel?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

gnorgan
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
563 Posts

Response Posted - 06/06/2006 :  21:23:49  Show Profile
Great idea, Larry! Our V has a big, black tank so I cannot do this although I store really "important" stuff alongside the tank.

What I found interesting is your Fishfinder installation. Really cool idea exactly the same one I have but I installed the swing-out arm on the other side for no real reason other than the mount was there from the old Loran-C that is now in a drawer in my shop....need to get rid of it somehow.
I use the Matrix 17 as a TV out on the ocean to see what's down there. Haven't yet fished for anything, preferring to sail all the time. I may take up fishing this summer after all.

Also used the wax for the sensor. It reads hull temp which is as good as water, just not as "responsive" to change.

Now, to find a good fishing pole for the summer sail on the Pacific.

Edited by - gnorgan on 06/06/2006 21:29:30
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3369 Posts

Response Posted - 06/06/2006 :  22:45:17  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
Gary,

I enjoy the fishfinder as well....and I already bought the fishing pole ! I had to ! I had an embarrassing experience (actually quite funny) last Thanksgiving when we (Spouse and college kids) were all able to go at same time to rent a beach house near Cape Hatteras, NC. I had these two old fishing poles with lures and weights on them. We went to a beach park and were doing the first cast into the surf. Both rods ! Both rods when we cast out...the lines snapped on the casting ! and that was the end of that ! My kids could not stop laughing ! So much for my fishing experience....I guess at least this sailor makes for a lousy fisherman. But now I have a new snappy rod and reel and already took it out on my friend's motorboat. It casts fine....but caught no fish ! Still...love that fishfinder and the little beeps and fish alerts that pop up but it's real benefit is seeing how fast the river bed comes up in the Potomac. The Matrix 17 was a good purchase.

Thanks all for the info regarding the wires. The wires I felt on the port side of the bilge near the mast support seeemed to be epoxied in ...but just thought it was a tight fit. Having now read your comments....seems likely those wires are epoxied in. Whether those were the mast wires or not, I am going to consider the mast wires a lost cause for pulling out or uncovering more of it in hopes of replacing it. I will have to ponder whether to button up the connection as is right now or probably best to rewire back to the panel. Thanks all ! When I get final resolve, hopefully soon, I'll post the fix.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

djn
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1561 Posts

Response Posted - 06/07/2006 :  07:13:42  Show Profile
Hi Larry, so you think the wax method of mounting the transducer is as good as the epoxi mounting method? I am mounting my DF this week and wondered about that. Cheers.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3369 Posts

Response Posted - 06/07/2006 :  12:18:49  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage
here's the positive regarding the wax method - You slap it down and shove the transducer into it. If it works, you just push a bit of the wax over the transducer perimeter lip and it's done. If it does not work, slap the wax down somewhere adjacent and try again. It don't work that way with epoxy ! First epoxied spot is the only epoxy spot....then it's buy another transducer.

Only issue not known at least for me regarding the wax ring method is the long term satisfaction and how high in ambient temps it will stay put. I think it will be fine even if it is 90F at the wax location but time will tell.

other possible negative...and not sure abpout this one yet...but maybe if you sleep in vicinity of the wax ring...you may get a psychological feeling that it is time for you to "go". LOL

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

panhead1948
Captain

Members Avatar

345 Posts

Response Posted - 06/07/2006 :  13:40:44  Show Profile
On my boat I bought some PVC coated storage rack material at LOWE"S and put a self under the V berth. I tapered the ends to fit the shape of the hull and fastened it to the bulkhead at the back of the V berth. I can store the pop top enclosure here and some other item s on this self.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Trust Me
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
71 Posts

Response Posted - 06/07/2006 :  14:16:17  Show Profile
Kevin:
What a great idea. Did you use shelf support holders to snap the storage rack material into so you could lift it up to access the area under the rack? Did you consider only going so far forward and then do a 90 degree and connect up to the bottom of V berth?
Ron

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

panhead1948
Captain

Members Avatar

345 Posts

Response Posted - 06/08/2006 :  12:17:59  Show Profile
The shelfing came with snap connectors that I fastened to the bulkhead. the forward part of the metal shelf has PVC caps on the ends and rest against the hull.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page