Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 CatalinaDirect pleated shades suggestions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Volksaholic
1st Mate

Member Avatar

55 Posts

Initially Posted - 09/11/2022 :  16:33:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm looking for examples of how the Catalina Direct pleated shades look when they're installed. I think we should mount them parallel to the port lights/windows. That puts the shades out of line with each other and means there will be a bigger gap at the bottom of the shades than the top when close, but since the cabin top curves along its length I think that would look the best.

My wife is insisting that we install the shades in a straight line to each other and that having the ends of the shades angled relative to each other will drive her nuts. I get it; she's got a different sense of aesthetic and when something visually or audibly grates on her nerves she can't draw her attention away. I pointed out to her that a straight line at the top is going to leave them looking pretty out of place along the bottom edge of the cabin top when they're closed.

I'm going to make some mock-ups that we can double stick tape into place so we can see what the options look like. I'm also interested in seeing how any of you who bought them installed them and how they look in the wild.

Paul
1981 Catalina 25 TR/FK
Soon to be named either Fiddler's Dream or Fool's Errand depending on what it takes to get her into shape

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 09/13/2022 :  13:06:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"If Mamma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!"

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 09/13/2022 13:07:22
Go to Top of Page

glivs
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
822 Posts

Response Posted - 09/13/2022 :  20:25:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paul, I will not likely get to my boat until mid-next week but will take some pics of our install. It’s been a while but I think ours are essentially aligned across the top on the reasoning that we look at the shades in the up position 99% of the time and when lowered we are most often asleep. A mock up should help you decide.

Gerry & Leslie; Malletts Bay, VT
"Great Escape" 1989 C-25 SR/WK #5972
Go to Top of Page

glivs
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
822 Posts

Response Posted - 09/22/2022 :  06:09:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paul, you may have completed your project by now but as promised...photos below. My goal was that tops and bottoms of the shades align in the open and closed positions. I clearly misplaced the most forward lower snap but haven't gotten around to correcting it since these were installed 6-7 yrs ago. Because of the curvature of the cabin side laying out the snap locations is a small challenge....would be easier with a flexible straight-edge and two people. Good luck.

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 09/22/2022 :  11:15:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Gerry, looks nice, seeing is believing. How do the bottoms stick onto the side of the cabin, with some snaps? I wonder if small disc magnets would hold just as well.

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 09/22/2022 11:18:26
Go to Top of Page

glivs
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
822 Posts

Response Posted - 09/23/2022 :  04:46:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, yes the shades are attached with snaps. Disk magnets would likely work but you would have to somehow attach a piece of metal to the shade. I doubt the aft most magnets would effect a bulkhead compass but it would need to be tested.

Go to Top of Page

Volksaholic
1st Mate

Members Avatar

55 Posts

Response Posted - 09/23/2022 :  10:48:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Gerry. Those look really good and it appears you've done more like what my wife wanted to do. And no, I haven't finished installing them yet. I have too many projects and I was also in that analysis-paralysis mode where I didn't want to drill holes until I was sure which way I wanted to go. It appears my wife was right and I'm sure she'll appreciate that you were able to demonstrate that. :D

It's amazing how sensitive a compass can be. I wonder sometimes how any compass works in a car, boat, or plane. I was helping a friend re-shoot pics of a tree study in Bryce Canyon Nat'l Park a few decades ago. He was in a Forestry Master's program and his major professor was trying to document tree growth for a fire ecology (prescribed burn) study. He had someone's doctoral work that was done in the early '60s, and the guy had used a surveyor's compass and chain to take photos 300' apart on 3 different transects through the park. The idea was for us to walk those transects with hand held compasses, find 1/2" rebar that the previous guy had driven into the ground 30 years earlier, and try to frame a photo as close to his as we could to document how fire suppression had affected the mix of trees in the forest. He thought we could pace off the 300' through the woods and up and down mountains, but after one day of that ridiculousness we bought a 100' rope to measure with. :) So the compass part; there were several times where we were working down hills toward the roads that run through the park, so we'd be at least 100' above the road taking a compass reading when RVs were driving through. Every RV would drag our compass needles a few degrees and we'd have to wait for them to settle down. I never would have guessed that they'd be that easily affected at that distance, but ever since then I've wondered how they can be reliable in any situation near electrical wiring and devices.

I was impressed with how accurate we were able to be with handheld compasses and the rope. We'd measure off the 300', take out the appropriate 1960 photo, and size up from the landscape the spot we thought the photo was taken from. Then we'd start looking around the forest floor for the 30 year old rebar that was sticking out of the ground about 1/2", and we'd typically be within 3' of it. It was actually a pretty fun project!

Paul
1981 Catalina 25 TR/FK
Soon to be named either Fiddler's Dream or Fool's Errand depending on what it takes to get her into shape
Go to Top of Page

glivs
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
822 Posts

Response Posted - 09/24/2022 :  04:40:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paul, glad the photos were of help…post yours when you are ready. Enjoyed your field mapping story. Late in my career I taught an intro measurements and mapping class emphasizing error management. Never thought of throwing an RV into the works :-)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page