Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Yamaha 9.9 vs Honda 9.9 motor replacement
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Albanker
1st Mate

Member Avatar

USA
37 Posts

Initially Posted - 07/15/2021 :  19:01:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Considering both of the above as replacement for my 2001Honda 15HP engine. Both are rated well, but the Yamaha has a few advantages like a flush port near the front of the engine, parts availability, and supposedly a little quieter. They used to be a heavy motor but current models are similar to Honda. On the other hand, I have been satisfied with Honda. It is somewhat of a pain to flush in the water. From what everybody has said on this forum, I think 9.9 is plenty of power. They both look to fit fine. Very interested in any opinions…Thanks

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3841 Posts

Response Posted - 07/16/2021 :  10:43:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't say one brand is better than another because today's outboards are all well made and dependable. Base your decision on what works best for you like features,parts and service in your area, price etc. A 9.9 is plenty of power and so would be an 8. If your on a lake and don't travel great distances a 6hp would do. I have 2 C25s in my marina that have 6hp Sailpros and they seem to manage on Long Island sound.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
8702 Posts

Response Posted - 07/16/2021 :  11:32:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure about the Yamahas these days, but the Honda 8 is the very same engine as the 9.9 except (according to a company rep) the cam, which is set for more low-end torque in the 8 and, and for more high-end HP in the 9.9. The 8 has a slightly lower peak rev range, which also probably affects the HP rating. He recommended the high-thrust 8 for my C-25, and a 9.9 for a planing dinghy or skiff--even though the 8 is a few hundred bucks less.

I don't think I ever ran my Honda 8 to max revs or even twisted the throttle to wide-open--it had plenty of thrust for all conditions and situations I encountered. As Scott suggests, I considered local dealer support in my choice. But also, at that time, the Yamaha High Thrust 8 didn't have a pull-starter except by removing the cowl and the flywheel cover, and using a supplied piece of rope. That was 20 years ago...

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic, CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, ex-USCG-OUPV
Now on Eastern 27 Sarge (but still sailing when I can).

Passage, Mystic, and Sarge--click to enlarge.
Go to Top of Page

Albanker
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
37 Posts

Response Posted - 07/16/2021 :  15:05:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies. Honda dealer said I can flush with engine tilted using their flush attachment so I guess that helps. Also found the Yamaha was about $600 more for an engine comparable to the Honda. As to an 8 vs 9.9 , my concern is that in Punta Gorda Florida , I have about 30 minutes to get to the harbor and thought the 9.9 might run at a lower rpm for the same speed and be quieter??? Am I wrong
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4769 Posts

Response Posted - 07/17/2021 :  07:02:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my case with a C25 and an 8HP Honda I can attain hull speed (~5.5kt) at 3/4 throttle. Engine purrs like a kitten.
At 1/2 throttle I can do 5.2kts and save a lot of gas (vs 0.3kt)

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Edited by - Voyager on 07/17/2021 07:03:55
Go to Top of Page

Tradewind
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
531 Posts

Response Posted - 07/17/2021 :  13:14:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently replaced my Honda 8 with a new Honda 9.9, to me there isn't any noticeable difference in performance or sound at the low rpms I use to maintain around 5.2 knots. Only reason I switched to 9.9 is because I couldn't find an 8hp anywhere.

1998 250WK #331
CILCIA
Steve
Pensacola, FL
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
8702 Posts

Response Posted - 07/20/2021 :  20:32:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really, the difference is the revs to get on plane (not likely with a C-25) and maybe $200. The torque to maneuver around a dock is in Honda 8's favor. Those are very fine points--it's the same engine. The Honda rep told me the high thrust 8 was my better choice.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic, CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, ex-USCG-OUPV
Now on Eastern 27 Sarge (but still sailing when I can).

Passage, Mystic, and Sarge--click to enlarge.

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 07/20/2021 20:36:33
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page