Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Capri 25 Specific Forum
 Keel blisters
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LT_Smash
Deckhand

Member Avatar

Canada
15 Posts

Initially Posted - 04/06/2021 :  15:57:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all

New year New problems!

Last year we had some blistering on the keel between the gelcoat and glass which were repaired by the conventional grinding, drying and filling. They've not returned at the repaired points. This year there are 4 blisters, three of which are between the lead and the fiberglass. Full of water when burst at their centers then had to grind up to 6 inch diameter to find dry glass adhered to the lead core.

Anyone else seen lead/fibreglass contact blisters? How did you repair them? How WOULD you repair them?

Thanks in advance,
LT_SMASH

SailTowery
1st Mate

Members Avatar

64 Posts

Response Posted - 04/14/2021 :  13:52:45  Show Profile  Visit SailTowery's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That sounds like more than "blisters". That's a serious water intrusion somewhere.

I would first find the source of so much water intrusion. After that, some serious stripping and re-glassing of the lead seems in order. It's possible that there was simply an insufficient barrier coat on the bottom and the fiberglass absorbed a ton of water.

I repaired keel damage on the lower part of my keel that went to the lead. I just re-glassed, faired and epoxy coated as normal.

Ben
Little Wing
Hull #422
https://www.facebook.com/capri25littlewing/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page