Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Springtime preps list
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/09/2023 :  13:26:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The weather in the Northeast area has been pretty mild this winter, and even tho the groundhog saw his shadow, I am hoping and expecting to get out to the boat to accomplish a list of springtime preparations soon.
My bottom paint touch-ups will be a bit more extensive this year since I’ve only done spot repainting in the past several years. I’ll probably have to scrape a few problem spots, so I have a great respirator and dust hat with a full-face clear visor. Tarps on the ground to catch paint chips of course.
My Poly-Glow needs a re-do. I use the stripper (sorta like a detergent) to remove the old finish, then a deep cleaning of the gel-coat. Applying Poly-Glow is an easy rub-on process with a cloth-covered sponge. 3-4 coats go on in an hour or two, the prep is the work.
My portlights! I still have a few leaks to be fixed. I found that acrylic bathcaulk is not too bad, but it doesn’t really last out in the elements.
Teak brightwork is still fine from my re-do last year. Although Sikkens sold off the formula to PPG, it’s still pretty good. Maybe it won’t last for the full five years, but three years seems achievable.
Sails were cleaned professionally last year, so I can skip this year.
New outboard had crankcase oil changed at the end of season, so I’m waiting for a warm day to change the bottom unit gear oil. It always drains better when it’s warmer.
Nav Lights need checking, anchor locker needs a clean out, and interior cushions need some refreshing. Rug shampoo and a damp rag, I usually unzip the covers to clean them and let them dry out in the sun.
I probably should empty all the drawers and lockers, and decide what goes back and what can go into the dumpster.
Hopefully, I’ll have some company out there among my boat mates!

Bruce Ross
Passage ~ SR-FK ~ C25 #5032

Port Captain — Milford, CT

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 03/23/2023 :  16:28:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I scored a gallon of CPP a few weeks ago during a sales at West Marine, $30 off. I usually need about a quart a year, so I’m good for a few years.
I have a good amount of poly prep cleaner, so I can clean the hull down to the gelcoat. I might need to buy a quart of PoliGlo to get my hull shining again.
This year, my long-standing marina, that was purchased by a less-than-honorable new owner, bumped me from the roster. He said that he had to honor his winter storage clients ahead of me. No problemo.
I found a better marina closer to my home. Sadly, they didn’t even reach out to say they regretted me leaving. I reckon that they’ll find that not honoring their long-time customers may indeed bite them in the arse in years to come.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/26/2023 :  14:25:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce, that CPP is a single season paint. You ok with that?

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 03/27/2023 :  15:41:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I’ve been using it for years and the bottom is relatively clean each fall.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 03/27/2023 :  16:47:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by islander

Bruce, that CPP is a single season paint. You ok with that?

West's CPP is a multi-season ablative paint. You can store it on the hard in the winter and next season it will be as effective. This is quoted from West's website: "Out of water storage will not reduce antifouling effectiveness"

West recommends 2-3 coats per season, but I used one coat of blue followed by one coat of red. Afterward, I applied one coat each spring, on the Chesapeake Bay, and only applied a second coat when the blue started to show through. I started using it after many years of accumulated antifouling was stripped from the bottom. About 15 years later the bottom was still smooth with very little accumulation.

If you leave it in the water 2-3 years between haul outs, then 2-3 coats should be applied.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/27/2023 :  18:23:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
West's CPP is a multi-season ablative paint. You can store it on the hard in the winter and next season it will be as effective.

Steve, WM own video says its a single season paint and wont be effective the next season and will need another coat.
https://youtu.be/EfTgd6NZkRU

Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 03/27/2023 :  19:01:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
West's CPP is a multi-season ablative paint. You can store it on the hard in the winter and next season it will be as effective.

Steve, WM own video says its a single season paint and wont be effective the next season and will need another coat.
https://youtu.be/EfTgd6NZkRU

That video is ten years old according to youtube. The quote that I cited is from West's current webpage. https://www.westmarine.com/west-marine-cpp-ablative-antifouling-paint-with-cct-gallon-P004_121_001_514.html West's house brand paints are made by Petit. Years ago, they used to be made by Interlux. I'd guess they were a different formula.

There were a couple springs that I decided that the prior year's paint still looked so good that I launched for a second season without repainting. At the end of those seasons the antifouling still protected my boat from barnacles, so I know from personal experience that CPP is multi-season.

The easy solution is to call West at 1-800-262-8464 or contact them online at the following webpage. https://www.westmarine.com/customerservice/retail-help-landing.html

Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 03/27/2023 :  19:48:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve that WM page that you got the info from also has the video I posted so it appears that WM should update their info on the paint.

Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 03/27/2023 :  20:18:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Steve that WM page that you got the info from also has the video I posted so it appears that WM should update their info on the paint.

For sure! If you call them, be sure to tell them about the conflict between the info in the video and on the product page. If the person you talk to isn't sure, it might inspire them to double check.

I have to correct my prior post. I used West PCA, not CPP, but the webpage clearly says about CPP that "Out of water storage will not reduce antifouling effectiveness" That clearly states it is multi-season. PCA has about twice the amount of copper and would give longer lasting protection in salt water.

If you have any doubt, give West a call.

Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 03/28/2023 :  11:29:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WM says CPP "offers season-long antifouling protection", and "For best performance, two or three coats per season are recommended." In contrast, PCA, which I used for years, "provides multi-season protection". I suspect there's a message in the wording. Also, the difference in copper content is similar to the difference in price. (YGWYPF.)

A few years ago I switched to Pettit Hydrocoat (at the time with Irgarol slime protection that is gone now). I like not breathing the fumes and being able to clean the paint off my shoes and hands with water. WM's water-based version, while also from Pettit, is apparently inferior and doesn't come in red. On my $+!nkp*+ I don't put even one full coat on per season.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 03/28/2023 11:44:08
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 03/28/2023 :  12:06:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With PCA, I used slightly less than 1 gal. for 1 coat on my C&C 35. That one coat lasted a season. It was cheaper and less work than putting on 2 coats of a lesser paint.

Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 03/28/2023 :  19:19:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I generally cover the gaps with a thick coat, and touch up other areas with a very thin coat. In the past, I’ve had a thick crust of bottom paint that I removed because it was a disaster to maintain, and it constantly crumbled off the bottom.
Since then I paint only enough to cover the bottom gaps, and hit the high current areas, along the waterline, across the rudder and keel, and at the bow. It never occurred to me that the protective power of the paint would somehow magically evaporate or disappear over the winter. So I assumed that the paint’s power was undiminished over time.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 03/30/2023 :  07:07:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Speaking of bottom paint, West just sent out a flier with PCA at $169.99/gallon and CPP at $99.99/gallon. At thius point I think West is more cost effective than the "new" Defender

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 03/30/2023 :  20:06:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And in case anybody missed the "secret", the "new Defender" is having their "big" spring sale virtually from today (4/30) thru Sunday 5/2. (I suspect it will be smaller.) The big party has been replaced this year due to remodeling of the warehouse store. I expect a "reopening sale" around Memorial Day.

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 03/30/2023 20:08:09
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 04/01/2023 :  16:53:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dave, did you mean March 30? You listed 4/30 which is at the end of this month. I really do hope that they’ll reopen the store in May since I love browsing all the cool stuff they have.

Bruce Ross

Edited by - Voyager on 04/02/2023 08:09:37
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/02/2023 :  09:35:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry--a brain-fart... It started this Thursday (3/30) and ends Monday (4/3, unless they extend it due to "popular demand"). The only evidence I've seen was an email from Soundings magazine--nothing directly from Defender or anywhere else. I would expect the store reopening, planned for around May 1, to be a big sale event--I'm curious to see what the new owners are doing to the store--it's been a long process--but I will have already purchased my spring supplies by then.

Dave Bristle

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 04/03/2023 11:10:09
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 04/07/2023 :  18:27:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I replaced my engine oil yesterday and prepped to change my bottom unit oil. Unfortunately, I wandered into the weeds and later found a pair of deer ticks crawling around my slacks. Springtime must indeed be here!
Tomorrow I’ll be touching up my bottom paint. Perhaps I’ll use the Poly Prep solvent to strip my Poliglow next week. With the May 1 “Beltane” date rapidly approaching, the time is due to complete my springtime prep.

Bruce Ross

Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 04/07/2023 :  22:10:57  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bottom paint is on my list for the 2023 season. It was also on my list the last 2 years ! I tried to get it done at a marina that is about a 3 hr boat ride away but they kept putting me off.. checking every 2 weeks. So, this year my friend (2 slips away) needs to get his Cat 32 bottom painted as well. So, we may do it together at a marina that is about 32 miles away....and supposedly has us on the list for sometime in June. So....we will see what happens.

Meanwhile, I have been sailing perhaps once every two weeks during this past winter. However, last Fall the sheave at the top of the mast for my main halyard a piece of it went kerplunk in the water as I was hoisting the sail. So, I can still raise the main halyard but need to use the winch handle for at least the last 5 feet since the halyard its probably just turning on the spindle versus the sheave and making it too hard to raise without using the winch handle.
I was finally able to get a boat mechanic/rigger to climb the mast (today) and replace both sheaves. The original sheaves appear to be a white plastic. The Catalina Direct sheaves are made from a more durable material...believe Marelon or something like that. Update: I rechecked the new sheave’s material on the Catalina Direct website and it does not actually state the material, however, adjacent to the ones I ordered are additional sheaves in slightly different configurations, some with ball bearings. One of the descriptions indicates the material as Black Delrin.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html

Edited by - OLarryR on 04/08/2023 14:59:44
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 04/08/2023 :  11:01:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
The original sheaves appear to be a white plastic. The Catalina Direct sheaves are made from a more durable material...believe Marelon or something like that.

Correct. The originals were a white plastic? that didn't hold up to UV very well and would craze and crack. I see the new replacements are black and hopefully an upgraded material.

Edited by - islander on 04/08/2023 11:02:11
Go to Top of Page

OLarryR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3367 Posts

Response Posted - 04/08/2023 :  11:15:47  Show Profile  Visit OLarryR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I believe my existing white plastic sheaves were the originals and if so, they lasted….for over 30 years ! Anyway, the new sheaves are more durable and so they should last even longer. The existing jib halyard sheave was still intact but just barely and was hardly used since I have a furling rig that does not use it. So, UV alone is responsible for most of the deterioration. What remained of the main halyard sheave was pitiful - half was gone and what remained was a crumbled mess.

Larry
'89 Robin's Nest#5820, Potomac River/Quantico, Va
http://catalina25.homestead.com/olarryr.html
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/09/2023 :  10:09:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya, to say they held up for 30 years might be a stretch. CD's various sheaves are black delrin (plastic) and aluminum. Counterintuitively, the carbon that makes plastic black helps protect it from UV.

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

bigelowp
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1736 Posts

Response Posted - 04/12/2023 :  19:15:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In 2007 when I got Limerick the boat was a wreck and I had to replace most everything. I purchased from Catalina Direct a I replaced the masthead and all new sheaves. -- they were the black ones. They have held up great. Each year when reviewing the rigging and stepping the mast I ask the rigger how they look, who replies they are high quality should last for decades. So, call Lowell at Catalina Direct and get what they sell -- high quality.

Peter Bigelow
C-25 TR/FK #2092 Limerick
Rowayton, Ct
Port Captain: Rowayton/Norwalk/Darien CT

Edited by - bigelowp on 06/03/2023 04:33:22
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 04/14/2023 :  11:03:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Washing down the boat tomorrow, with the 80°+ weather here the past few days they finally turned on the water. I plan to wash the cabintop, decks, cockpit and hull topsides with detergent and a touch of vinegar, then strip the PoliGlow using the stripper formula. We’re expecting warm showery weather which will help.
My only problem is the boat yard is swarming with adult deer ticks, I plucked two off me last week. Apparently they’re leftovers from last season probably because the winter wasn’t cold enough to kill them off.
I’ll wear a light-colored shirt and slacks with cuffs tucked into my socks to avoid any problems.

Bruce Ross

Edited by - Voyager on 04/14/2023 11:41:52
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 04/15/2023 :  14:52:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Hellstrom Chronicle--1971 "documentary" about how/why insects will take over the planet. It's all taking shape...

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page

Voyager
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
5231 Posts

Response Posted - 06/04/2023 :  06:47:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OMG! But Dave, look on the bright side, bugs are almost 100% protein. When we can no longer raise livestock some potential billionaire will probably create a new food craze like “bug steaks” for millennials and make a zillion bucks!

Bruce Ross

Edited by - Voyager on 06/04/2023 06:49:28
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 06/04/2023 :  09:38:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorta like the saying "When life gives you lemons..." Now maybe it's "When life give you cockroaches, make cocktails." (Sorry, that's all I've got...)

Dave Bristle
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page