Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Water leaking into cabin beneath cockpit
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jacob
1st Mate

Member Avatar

34 Posts

Initially Posted - 05/17/2023 :  09:43:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas of where my water leak could be coming from. I have a 2006 WB with pedestal steering. The aft berth keeps getting wet somehow. I've now removed the cushions and am getting a puddle back there every time it rains. It's hard to tell where exactly the water is coming from. Are there any common areas for leaks on these boats? My best guess is that it's either coming through where the pedestal steering is mounted, or through the companionway somehow. Either place could allow the water to run across the ceiling and then drip somewhere else. I may have to eventually get in there and close the boat up, and have someone start spraying it down with water, I guess.

DavidCrosby
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
229 Posts

Response Posted - 05/17/2023 :  12:13:19  Show Profile  Visit DavidCrosby's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My main sheet traveler (wing keel) was leaking through some of the bolts.

Coaming cubbie would leak water into the aft berth if I managed to spray up into it while washing the boat.

I do not have wheel steering - but I would think that is a good possibility.

Good Luck.

David Crosby "Small World"
'02 C250 WK #614
Go to Top of Page

JB
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
110 Posts

Response Posted - 05/18/2023 :  07:35:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check the rubber boot for the rudder for cracks and the foam under the pedestal dampness. Most of the water came in from the hatch so I now keep it covered with a sunbrella cover.

1988 C25 Wing Keel Std Rig Tohatsu 9.9 Tiller Steering and 2003 C250 Wing Keel Std Rig Inboard Diesel Wheel Steering
Go to Top of Page

Jacob
1st Mate

Members Avatar

34 Posts

Response Posted - 05/22/2023 :  06:01:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JB

Check the rubber boot for the rudder for cracks and the foam under the pedestal dampness. Most of the water came in from the hatch so I now keep it covered with a sunbrella cover.

I do have holes in the rubber boot for the rudder, that is one of the projects on the list. But I don't think the water is coming from there because that area drains into the bilge. I know this because I have a cockpit shower or washdown pump whatever you want to call it, and the pump is in that area. I once left it on when I left the boat and it developed a leak in the pressure hose, it sprayed water in the battery/steering compartment and emptied the full fresh water tank, but none of that water made it into the aft berth.

I have heard someone else mention the hatch. I'm really beginning to think that is actually what my issue is. I will do some testing on that area with a water hose next chance I get.

Edited by - Jacob on 05/22/2023 06:02:08
Go to Top of Page

Steve Milby
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
5851 Posts

Response Posted - 05/22/2023 :  06:38:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Draw a line around any place that you suspect might be the source of the leak with a piece of brightly colored chalk. If that's where the leak is, the water will wash the chalk away in that spot. Rather than wait for rain, you can sprinkle the area with a garden hose.

Steve Milby J/24 "Captiva Wind"
previously C&C 35, Cal 25, C25 TR/FK, C22
Past Commodore
Go to Top of Page

dmarion
1st Mate

Members Avatar

Canada
67 Posts

Response Posted - 08/07/2023 :  05:39:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For the past 2 seasons, I have been trying to find where the water in the aft berth and the battery compartment was coming from. Using a hose to water the boat section by section, I finally found that the instruments I have installed where not as sealed as I thought. A good coat of silicone to seal them tight did the job.

Daniel Marion
Zendo
Cat 250 WB 2001 Hull #592
Valleyfield, QC,
Canada

Edited by - dmarion on 08/07/2023 05:40:40
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page